The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

As others have stated there is a yahoo-element over here that insist that their constitutional rights/liberty/STUPIDITY is being compromised by any such orders and are deciding to ignore it.

I did see a FB post somewhere, that having different lockdown restrictions for the different states was a bit like peeing in a swimming pool......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Here's the trick.  Using the phone to connect directly to this site one goes to the usual "choose files" link below the reply pane which offers the option to take a new photo for immediate upload.

My Samsung Galaxy (Android) 'phone has an editing facility built into the 'Gallery' application. (I've no idea if this is natively Android, or a Samsung enhancement.) The basic image manipulation functions don't permit mirroring but There is an "Open in Photo Editor Pro" option that permits mirroring under the 'transform' tab.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I did see a FB post somewhere, that having different lockdown restrictions for the different states was a bit like peeing in a swimming pool......

More like the gene pool.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Thanks for that but you might have missed my earlier comment where I expressed an interest in your thoughts on an appropriate "heater" for self-defense. Hate the things and I know nothing about them. Hopefully it won't come to that but if it gets bad enough here I might have to.

I'll pm you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the sun has been shining all day, I did spend a bit of time outside, mainly cleaning the workshop windows, as they’ve been opened for the first time this year. I also completed the temporary fascia for the turntable control board. I also experimented with a small micro switch to see how shallow a dip I can get away with without the stitch stricken sticking. This is in case the Hall effect switches prove to have too much of an operating area. Once I’d packed up, I brought the fascia inside and wired it all up, it has not yet been tested, as I want to double check the wiring before I apply power. I found a variable voltage PSU in the workshop this afternoon, so that came in as well and I tested it on the turntable motor. It was powerful enough to operate it, but at 3.5V it was still a little too fast, so I added a couple of diodes in series (each diode will reduce the voltage by approx 1.2V) and had it running at somewhere around 1.2V, and it ran smoothly and quietly. I then did some on line research on intensifying and reducing the magnetic fields operating area. It turns out that the solution might be as simple as making a steel cone, the diameter of the magnet and fitting it to the front of the magnet. So I’ll make a small cone tomorrow and try it out later. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle bottle of merlot. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I also experimented with a small micro switch to see how shallow a dip I can get away with without the stitch stricken sticking. This is in case the Hall effect switches prove to have too much of an operating area. 

It's wise of you to be thinking about the Hall effect switches being not precise enough to align the table to the outlet tracks.

I had a university project using them and they were finicky, but I was counting frequency rather than using them for positioning. They weren't the biggest problem - that was processor bandwidth with the RTOS and CPU combination.

32 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I then did some on line research on intensifying and reducing the magnetic fields operating area. It turns out that the solution might be as simple as making a steel cone, the diameter of the magnet and fitting it to the front of the magnet. So I’ll make a small cone tomorrow and try it out later. 

That sounds quite promising. I am eager to hear how that goes.

The other option is to do some signal conditioning on the Hall sensor output - tweaking the threshold voltage to narrow the physical range where it registers "on".

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1