The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

It wouldn't surprise me if UK insurance companies fell over themselves to cite the current situation as a reason for doubling their normal excessive increases.

To be fair, I spoke to our insurance provider about this years quote for the multicover (cars/buildings/contents) and ended up paying less than I did last year.  I'm sure they send out automated renewal quotes in the hope that some will just pay it because they can't be bothered to argue the case.  Even more so if you have an automatic renewal/payment with the company.

I know the insurance industry make huge profits, but they have taken a bit of a hammering from all the claims for the floods in the UK, and as we all know, these impact on  all insurance policies, not just those that have made claims.

• Like 7
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I must be unlucky then Richard as almost every year I have to change my car insurance to someone cheaper because they up the premium by about 20% or more and won't move or if they do it's a pittance. Perhaps it's because I have a perfect record and have never ever made a claim so they consider me an accident waiting to happen? 

Like most people here in fact!  :rolleyes:

They (insurance brokers) are avid readers of ERs, and know that although you have never made a claim, you have many, many accidents which you don't claim for.

I suspect there are many more that you don't even report on here!

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Reams and reams of paper has been used up analysing the pros-and-cons and the ins-and-outs of British officialdom, so would I be controversial in claiming that whilst the privatisation of utilities (and so much more) has put their financial structure into the private sphere, staff attitude (and ability???) has remained firmly wedded to their public sector origins (or am I really being too cynical here???)

The apocryphal tale of British officaldom is that of the insignificant 3 page memo from our then lords and masters in Brussels which was turned into a gold plated 3 volume, hand crafted  set of rules and regulations written in virgin's blood on vellum. 

The civil service at it's finest!

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 8