The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, breakfast has been consumed and I will shortly head down to the cellar and refit the door furniture to the inner door and then refit the door in the frame. I started working on the door in October last year and work was suspended firstly when Ava had her accident (losing a tooth) and then because of Sheila’s eye operations, so it will be nice to be able to actually close the door between the 2 rooms again! After that the plan is to give the workshop balustrade a good clean and then give it a repaint along with giving the new finials a second coat. After that some pottering in the workshop to mock up a temporary fascia for the turntable control panel. 

Stay safe, enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 18

Greetings all from Sidcup where the sun is shining and the sky is blue with high cloud. I shall go for my daily walk in an hour or so

Work continues to be slow; there and needs doing but motivation is not too high!

All the talk of bins makes me vaguely jealous. The Boring Borough decided to scale back collectiosn and our plastic/bottles bin has not been collected for nearly 6 weeks now.  Don't they realise beer and wine bottles get very heavy?! They're due to be collected after the weekend but there was talk they would do an extra collection this eek so all our street has bins out in hope!

Have a good day all and stay well

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The shared chimney stack has also vanished without a party wall notice being issued. Time to call building control methinks.

IIRC the property owners are liable for the costs involved regarding you having your own independent Structural Engineer/Architect/Surveyor (delete whichever one is b0llox) overseeing any works which affect the party wall.

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Taking down a shared chimney stack puts both properties at risk if not done properly.

Not to mention the occupants of the house if things go badly wrong....

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Especially if the stack is still connected to the fireplace below and used when the weather turns inclement.

The loss ot the chimney stack also limits your options in the future regarding choice of heating/fire etc.

Edit:  Personally, I'd be onto B.C. today, sharpish....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Think the guy needs to upgrade to LGB (45mm track) as they have done at the place in Prague - wagons are big enough to transport a beer without it falling over....

Keith

An LGB tank wagon probably big enough to deliver the beer.

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody here recommend a competent energy supplier?

When I moved here, I inherited three energy contracts: one with British Gas, two with Business Energy Supplies.

Both companies are totally incompetent, staffed by cockwombles. British Gas has even registered a complaint as being from a previous occupant/owner who has been dead for about 18 months! I feel like doing a video for Facebook based on the famous Python sketch. Perhaps a bit of ridicule going viral might find somebody in British Gas with enough braincells to actually read the letters sent to them?

These problems can not be blamed on reduced staffing due to coronavirus. It has all been going on since I moved here in early December. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I would be very happy to recommend my energy supplier but I suspect you would get terrible reviews for the same company from other respondents. In case you are interested we are with EoN.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

They're due to be collected after the weekend but there was talk they would do an extra collection this eek so all our street has bins out in hope!

Our final bin (brown wheely bin for garden waste) had just been emptied. The recycling sacks went very early as did food waste.  The council will indicate any changes in service on their Twitter page as well as their website. So far they are collecting as normal as the County Council recycling sites (formerly known as tips) are closed.  Our kerbside contribution was similar to normal, even though it contained a lot of newspapers. We usually keep them for the neighbours to take to Wales when they visit their family. However they don’t know how long it will be before they can go again. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

When I moved here, I inherited three energy contracts: one with British Gas, two with Business Energy Supplies.

Both companies are totally incompetent, staffed by cockwombles. British Gas has even registered a complaint as being from a previous occupant/owner who has been dead for about 18 months! I feel like doing a video for Facebook based on the famous Python sketch. Perhaps a bit of ridicule going viral might find somebody in British Gas with enough braincells to actually read the letters sent to them?

These problems can not be blamed on reduced staffing due to coronavirus. It has all been going on since I moved here in early December. 

Gave up on Grittish Bass years ago. They are an insult to hoofw*nking cockwombles the world over. Oh did I tell you one of my current projects is with their parent company. <insert many profanities here> It isn't so much them as their outsourced suppliers for just about everything. I think their customer service is with Cognizent or Capita and outsourced to some small island in the pacific. 

We've been with OVO for about 6 years now. Never an issue. No billing or other problems. They ain't the cheapest but they've been the best for us. If you decide to choose them let me know by DM as we can use their refer a friend (fiend?) and get £50 in vouchers. I'd just have to send you the referral code by email. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Think the guy needs to upgrade to LGB (45mm track) as they have done at the place in Prague - wagons are big enough to transport a beer without it falling over....

Keith

The wagons in that bar do have extra outside stabilizers ot reduce the loaded wagons tipping over. great place though.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

We've been with OVO for about 6 years now. Never an issue. No billing or other problems. They ain't the cheapest but they've been the best for us. If you decide to choose them let me know by DM as we can use their refer a friend (fiend?) and get £50 in vouchers. I'd just have to send you the referral code by email. 

We also used OVO when wevlived in thevUK and found them to be excellent.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Use Martin Lewis' Cheap Energy Club:

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Not only does it give price comparisons, options etc. against your current usage, it also gives customer performance ratings etc.

Never failed me.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

18 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A good few years ago I several times visited a pub/restaurant in St. Andrews (can't remember the name) that had an LGB track running round the place on shelves at about 8ft off the floor. We were having dinner there once and I remarked to the landlord that I hadn't seen the train running. "Oh," he said, "It's not working. It's stuck over there (pointing to a corner) and I can't get it to run." I offered to have a look at it for him and managed to fix things in about fifteen minutes. He was over the moon about it and gave me my dinner and a couple of pints of eighty bob free. Not a bad rate of pay I thought.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Regards

Dave

We visited the book shop in the old station at Alnwick, my grandsons loved the railway that runs along the top of the book cases(o gauge I think)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

We visited the book shop in the old station at Alnwick, my grandsons loved the railway that runs along the top of the book cases(o gauge I think)

Barter Books. Not sure of the gauge but as I recall it runs what I took to be Accucraft stock - Lynton & Barnstaple types, so 16 mm/ft and pretty chunky.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Use Martin Lewis' Cheap Energy Club:

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Not only does it give price comparisons, options etc. against your current usage, it also gives customer performance ratings etc.

Never failed me.

I'm afraid that I am no fan of Mr Lewis. A consummate self-publicist, yes. A consumer champion? Not on the basis of my past experience.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6