The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I did  quick google search and came up with a recent story where some people ARE suing their governors over their coronavirus response ,....  its a golf course owner suing  because lockdowns WERE applied -  without making golf an essential service!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/corona-virus-lawsuits.html

Apparently gun store owners are similarly aggrieved..

And here I am wondering why I can't get a decent cup of coffee anywhere .....  

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I did  quick google search and came up with a recent story where some people ARE suing their governors over their coronavirus response ,....  its a golf course owner suing  because lockdowns WERE applied -  without making golf an essential service!

Here's a question.

Say a golf course is owned by one person (ie, a proprietary club as opposed to the more numerous member-owned clubs). Can that open space be used by the owners family for their daily exercise? 

The golf course is within a few minutes walk, so no unnecessary car journey involved.

If yes - then is there a problem if said family members happen to knock a few balls around with sticks as part of that exercise?

Just wondering?

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

SWMBO spent part of the day reorganizing the pantry now she can easily reach all the shelves... From the depths of the back a box of nestles nesquik powder,  best before 3, 3, 10...... Anyone want a yellowy sugary brick?

Mention of home-made pizza bases led me to investigate the presence of flour in the cupboard.  Half a bag, with an expiry date of 2009,  plus a tall tupperware-type container with a little bit (mug full or two) in the bottom - age unknown, but definitely pre-2009.  The tupperware lid was removed to reveal little black specks in the flour - that were moving..... (how do they manage that, with zero access to water?).

All going in the bin, sharpish.

3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Goodnight all,

Been steady at work but feet, body and hands aching. Shouldn’t have done so much gardening at weekend!

Running out of PPE but have ordered some to come in later in week. We order some anti-viral hand gel last week and that should be coming tomorrow. Costing me £3.50 per 100ml  plus vat. Absolutely ridiculous, I bet it’s the stuff you used to be able to get in Poundland. We will wait and see. 
Robert

The Government should immediately declare that pricing of such PPE materials etc. will be subject to "reasonable" profit only, and will be closely scrutinised.  Any company found shafting the system will be well and truly screwed.  And Amazon, Ebay etc. should be restricting the sale of certain grades of PPE etc. in short supply to Hospitals, Pharmacies, Paramedics, Dentists etc. etc. - and not allowing any seller to take the p1ss.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Here's a question.

Say a golf course is owned by one person (ie, a proprietary club as opposed to the more numerous member-owned clubs). Can that open space be used by the owners family for their daily exercise? 

The golf course is within a few minutes walk, so no unnecessary car journey involved.

If yes - then is there a problem if said family members happen to knock a few balls around with sticks as part of that exercise?

Just wondering?

Rare, I believe, for a course to belong to the membership club.

But I agree with you. Golf is a game that can be played while maintaining social distancing. So why close it down?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But I agree with you. Golf is a game that can be played while maintaining social distancing. So why close it down?

It has been established - following complaints to the police - that as social distancing is almost by definition being observed then if one can walk to the beach one may surf as daily exercise.  But not if a drive is required because that constitutes an "unnecessary" trip.  So it should be with golf in a situation that the course is effectively private to a few people.

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Say a golf course is owned by one person (ie, a proprietary club as opposed to the more numerous member-owned clubs).

I wonder if that is the case anywhere.

Courses I can think of are usually owned by a city, club or homeowners association type entity. Usually they are not easily accessible - there's usually some kind of fence demarcating out of bounds so the property is difficult to access without deliberate trespass.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

So does self isolation mean that we are not allowed to open windows to get fresh air into the house?

Nice, warm environments, such as an unventilated location, incubate and spread viruses!

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not around where I live. Apart from one not too far from me................

Many clubs are well over 100 years old and there is no "owner" in the true sense. They are "owned" by the general membership paying their annual fees.

Golf is naturally socially distancing - after all, who wants to be smacked around the head by another golfer taking a shot?

They were exempt from the initial round of social distancing measures that destroyed the pub/restaurant trade but I believe that part of the reason for closing down golf clubs was to eliminate any chance of non-social distancing in the bar afterwards.

I played during that one weekend between pub closure and all closure and we already had in place measures to reinforce social distancing and prevent touching of "common" items such as the flagstick and bunker rakes. We even did not have to exchange scorecards as is the usual rule. And obviously no customary handshake after the round.

I fully appreciate the comments about driving to/from the course though!.

And for Ozex - many UK courses have public footpaths running through/across [*], so are actually quite accessible to the public - within limits. (We have signs saying "keep to the marked path", but there are a few locals that completely disobey them and let their dogs wander - but that's another thread)

[*] Some are on public land - including the Old Course at St Andrews!

And my local course is owned by one person............

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Golf is naturally socially distancing

Not when using carts, but this is easily solved by limiting one golfer per cart.  They do have to be disinfected after use.

When walking the course it is easy to maintain distance.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

There are people using the golf course that we look out onto, but for walking their dogs!  The golf course actively discourages dogs on the course, but that doesn’t seem to stop some people letting their dogs run round while not on a lead.

The moon was very bright here, but we couldn’t detect any pink colour at all!

This afternoon was lovely and sunny, so we managed to have our afternoon cuppa sat outside in the warm sun for the first time this year.  Lovely!

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Simon G said:

The moon was very bright here, but we couldn’t detect any pink colour at all!

It's not supposed to be pink.

Despite its moniker, the Pink Moon isn't actually pink. The name "Pink Moon" comes from the bloom of ground phlox, a pink flower common in North America, according to The Old Farmer's Almanac. It has also been called the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon and the Fish Moon.

The expression "Blue Moon" may have an even stranger origin.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a look at the moon earlier, no evidence of pink but by the time I looked it was too high. The moon has to be low in the sky to get the 'pink' effect caused by the light having to pass through more of the atmosphere. There was the remains of a high contrail as well when I looked out and despite the brightness of the moon, and the street lights quite a few stars were visible as well.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

So does self isolation mean that we are not allowed to open windows to get fresh air into the house?

Nice, warm environments, such as an unventilated location, incubate and spread viruses!

The advice for those of us classed as vulnerable specifically mentioned getting fresh air from open windows as an alternative to going out. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

*Looks up flights to Portland*............................

From the Eastmoreland course website:

eastmoreland.PNG.9fc114861e9f23753df3b9a9f9c47810.PNG

The Clubhouse is closed - except the restrooms.

Not a cloud in the sky right now - 20°C tomorrow.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14