The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that it would still have been rough - given the emergence of low-cost/high-quality Chinese manufacturing).

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I would question this comment!

I don't. Excepting the presence of lazy manufacturing workers who don't care*, everything is designed to price/quality objectives. The Chinese demonstrably can create relatively low-cost and high quality product.

* Something for with which Britain at one point (several decades ago) had a problematic reputation.

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So would I, although there is high quality engineering and products coming out of not only China, but the rest of the far east, there is also low cost junk as well.

Unquestionably. It is all a matter of whether the purpose is very low price with attendant poor quality.

The other end of the spectrum is German manufacturing which has long had a reputation for quality.

• Like 11

Engineering tolerances are taking on a new meaning, it seems! It used to be the difference between a Go and a NoGo gauge, loose fit or interference fit. Now it would seem it has become 'how much more of this carp can we tolerate?'

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So would I, although there is high quality engineering and products coming out of not only China, but the rest of the far east, there is also low cost junk as well.

I recently ordered a number of colletts for my milling machine.  Great stuff.

I also ordered some spare colletts for a router trimmer: Garbage.........

They were all bored out undersize, and although they fit the machine, none of my cutters will fit.

But as Baz, Debs, NHN and any of the other engineers will tell you, it's easier to remove some metal than to try and put it back.

All I need to do is secure the collett so that it is at it's widest, and them pass a parallel reamer through the centre.

The maths to close it up and then work out what size of smaller reamer to do the job so that when it opens it is the correct size, is too complex for my feeble mind at present.

A lot of, dare I mention, model railway products are now being produced in China as well as Vietnam, Japan, etc. The number of rejects, malfunctioning items, incomplete items seems to have risen almost exponentially. Well known, well reputed German brands are suffering due to poor production, inspection, quality control, etc. it seems!

Case in point, I heard of an instance where a model locomotive purchased under a reputable Austrian brand had failed within 1/2 hour of running in due to increasing whining from the motor and a crank pin jamming then falling out of the linkage. Cost of loco: in excess of £400. Apparently made in Vietnam. Now, I believe, winging its way back to Austria. For one part of this Austro-German amalgamation, at least 125 years good excellent reputation down the metaphorical pan!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

My experience of German made equipment wasn't that great, we had more problems with their stuff than any other manufacturer, one machine in particular only got accepted by the skin of it's teeth and never worked consistently, never owned a German car so can't comment on them, but the gear that was used to make the cars was overrated in the opinion of most who had to use them.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I wondered whats happening to Farcebook as it was refusing to load any pics from about ten this evening. Just had a newsflash that its gone down together with Instagram and Whatsapp. Probably overloaded due to the extra use its been getting. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Luckily we lived only about ten minutes from school so I always went home for lunch.  In those days, kids always had a mother at home and when you're that age , it was always a good feeling!:)

Brian.

• Like 17

Weather still a bit strange here but relatively few earthquakes today. Actually there none that we were aware of but there might still be some aftershocks. There were quite a few yesterday.

There was a seismologist on the TV yesterday who said they really have no idea what's causing them. There are no known faults at that spot.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

41 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Weather still a bit strange here but relatively few earthquakes today. Actually there none that we were aware of but there might still be some aftershocks. There were quite a few yesterday.

There was a seismologist on the TV yesterday who said they really have no idea what's causing them. There are no known faults at that spot.

The strongest recorded earthquakes in the US east of the Rockies happened around New Madrid in what is now the state of Missouri in 1811-12. The causes of those quakes are not well understood, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–12_New_Madrid_earthquakes

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 17

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

That's weird. A meteorologist here (for some weird reason they have meteorologists cover seismological events) indicated that yesterday's Challis earthquakes were a strike/slip fault quake and were located in the same area (geologically) as the 1983 Borah Peak / Lost River fault earthquake which was of comparable magnitude (6.9).

There are plenty of examples of faulting in the Rocky Mountains and (I presume) the Sawtooth as well.

USGS said this:

Tectonic Summary

The March 31, 2020, M 6.5 earthquake west of Challis, Idaho (about 120 km northeast of Boise), occurred as the result of complex strike slip faulting within the shallow crust of the North America plate. Preliminary focal mechanism solutions for the event, which describe the style of faulting in an earthquake, indicate slip likely occurred on a steeply dipping fault striking either east-west (right-lateral) or north-south (left-lateral). This earthquake occurred within the Intermountain Seismic Belt, a prominent zone of recorded seismicity in the Intermountain West, and is within the western part of the Centennial Tectonic Belt, an area of southwest-northeast extension north of the Snake River Plain. The quake is about 16 km north-northeast of the Sawtooth fault, a 60-km-long normal fault that extends along the eastern base of the Sawtooth Range.

Historic seismicity in the immediate vicinity of the March 31 earthquake is sparse; no earthquakes of M5+ have occurred within 50 km of this event over the past 50 years, and the most notable historic seismicity in the region occurred about 100 km to the east on the Lost River fault zone. This was the site of the 1983 M6.9 Borah Peak earthquake (October 28, 1983), which was followed by five other M 5+ events over the following year, and most recently a M5.0 earthquake in January 2015, about 60 km to the east of today’s event. The March 31, 2020 event is the largest in Idaho since the Borah Peak earthquake. That event killed 2 in Challis, and resulted in over $12M in damage in the Challis-Mackay area. As of 1 hour after this earthquake, two aftershocks (M 4.6, M 3.6) have been located by the USGS, both to the south of the M 6.5 event.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 14