The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Simon G said:

piece of a tooth broke off

I was going to suggest the temporary repair kits that one is supposed to take on long cruises but they seem to be sold out at Amazon. Perhaps a local pharmacy has some.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

Simon, I am very sorry to hear about your friend.

37 minutes ago, Simon G said:

To add to all this, a piece of a tooth broke off while I was brushing them this morning.  All the dentists are closed, so I hope that no further damage will follow.

Are there no emergency dentists? (Meaning one out of a wide radius who is open on rotation for emergency work?)

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Always known in our family as a hipporhinocerouspig

Not that surprising really.

Curiously hippos and whales evolved from Anthracotheriidae

What made me look that up is the Entelodont or "Hell Pig". They are terrifying creatures standing up to 2.1m tall with sharp pointy teeth and a brain the size of an orange. Like pre-hippos, they belonged to the order Artiodactyla and look a bit similar.

These (Daeodon humerosum) were very common in what is now Central Oregon and there are many fossil remains in the John Day Fossil Beds which at one point was teeming with mammalian mega fauna. John Day fossil beds are a bit out of the way but worth a visit for people with plenty of time. The landscape is quite dramatic.

There's an excellent exhibit at the Thomas Condon Paleontology and Visitor Center with many fossils in context of time. It's odd to think of ancestors of hippos and rhinos and camels in Oregon, but they were all there. Pre-horses were also part of the mammalian scene. Eventually all the horse species in North America became extinct until they were reintroduced by the Spanish in the 16th century.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Simon G said:

It has been a bit of a carp day in our household today.  Yesterday, we got the expected news that the ventilator keeping our friend alive had been turned off, and he passed away half an hour later.  Neither he or his widow have much family, so given the current restrictions it looks like it will only be her at a crematorium service.  It must be heartbreaking but she seems to be coping remarkably well so far.  I fear that it will hit her later.  I just wish we could jump in the car and drive down to support her.I

I have just gone back through ERs and read your post Simon.

That is so, so sad. Thoughts are with you and your friend’s widow.

I think it encapsulates what many of us fear at the moment, what some are trying to ignore and what a few will go through in the weeks to come.

I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BoD said:

No walk today.  Oven cleaning time.  I have cleaned the glass door and shelves, and have brushed the inside with the cleaning gunk.  Having a cup of coffee whilst waiting for it to do its stuff - then comes the messy bit.

I wonder how many extra trillion zillion bytes of storage RMweb will use before this virus business is all over.

Get thyself a self cleaner and avoid messy bits.  Our former cleaning lady always cleaned out the oven irrespective of the fact that it was cleaned after the last pizza!:rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They are terrifying creatures standing up to 2.1m tall with sharp pointy teeth and a brain the size of an orange. Like pre-hippos, they belonged to the order Artiodactyla and look a bit similar.

Yes, our hippo does live near Telford, so he's probably come across them.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Spent the day hoovering and dusting the front room (that's a Lounge if you're middle class, or Parlour if you're Posh :) ).

Can't remember the last time I dusted it - found the Table last seen in 2007....

My parents called the main room the living room and the room we used for visitors the front room. The living room had a sofa, chairs and a dining table. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 4