The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, 5 C said:

I'm a basket only shopper and as is the norm, deposited my basket at the usual place at the start of the conveyor once unloaded. I began decanting the purchases into my bag as usual until the cashier told me that I couldn't stand and pack there. I was rather non plussed and asked what I was expected to do.

I had a similar moment last week when I put my reusable bags on the conveyor. (Apparently I shouldn't have.) Customers with reusable bags now have to bag their own groceries so that the checkers don't have to touch bags people have brought from home.

It seems there are many such changes to our routines. In New Jersey and Oregon, patrons are not permitted to pump their own gas/petrol. Yesterday the Oregon Fire Marshall declared that Oregonians may (essentially meaning must) pump their own gas, in deference to concerns that gas station attendants were unable to maintain a suitable distance. Stations may still employ attendants to disinfect surfaces (pump handle, buttons, etc) but with fewer people driving and no requirement to employ them, I suspect they will be stood down. This change happened with no clear announcement so apparently people were confused when they went to refill their cars. Unless they have driven out of state there are no doubt many Oregonians who have never pumped their own gas/petrol.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
On 28/03/2020 at 04:22, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news, a cat has been found to have the coronavirus. If it was a dog it would be bad enough but how do you isolate a cat? Best thing would be to distance yourself from any animal.

Apparently, so far, the transmission is both very rare and one-way (human to pet and not the other way around). Furthermore, according to one report I read, the tests were only "mildly positive" (whatever that means...) and the animals asymptomatic.

To many, pets are a comfort especially to those alone and elderly.  Sadly, they don't usually last as long as their owners but their presence has great therapeutic value for us all.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Managed to catch up on Farcebook, the traffic on there has doubled in the last week and it gets noticably slower at certain times of day. I see theres some idiots around, holding parties and even a football match! Now time to catch up on the rest of RMweb, be back later.

• Like 16