The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I very much doubt that we will be heading across the pond in July

I was optimistic that might still be possible and would not entirely give up on the possibility though we need to see a peak in case rate. We are not there yet. With some increased testing (still not enough for everyone) the confirmed case rate is increasing rapidly right now.

COVID-19 seems to have burned through Wuhan in about 4 months - depending on when you start counting. Here in Oregon we are a month or so in. The Oregon Health Authority formed their incident response team on January 21. Our first local case occurred on February 28. The first of several escalating executive orders was issued by the Governor on March 8. I can see some relaxing of circumstances by the 4th of July, but admittedly that's a hopeful outlook.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

For those home schooling - feel free to pass it on

You may already know these, but…

My university as given some links to help those who are home schooling. I’ve posted this on a couple of community forums. (credit: Birmingham City University)

For people trying to balance work with childcare and home-schooling, there’s some help at hand. A host of well-known faces are offering their assistance with keeping your kids educated and entertained, whether it’s English, Maths, Music, PE and more. They’re also absolutely free.

Now when can we see some loco kit construction lessons instead of Corrie?

11 hours ago, 81C said:

......there were a few looking down their nose at people with  trolleys but they have locked up the larger ones,

At last - common sense....

• Like 16

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Does anyone eat rissoles these days?  They depend for their existence on left-over Sunday roast, a mincing machine and partially forgotten culinary skills.

Food associated the the name "rissole" is regularly consumed in Australia, though these are made with mince / ground beef and then cooked rather than using pre-cooked roast.

Per "The Castle" (highly recommended if you've not seen it). And a recipe.

Everybody cooks rissoles darl.

Sometimes the term is used indistinguishably from what, in the US, would be called a hamburger, or even a meatball.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sun is shining but very cloudy over the North West Leeds Highlands  this morning.

Slept like a log, her indoors woke me up as she went to make a mugatea.

I have a feeling domestic orders are about to be issued so TTFN.

Baz

• Like 19

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Oddly enough, for a supposedly egalitarian country, the Americans are incredibly sensitive to the pecking order within a business. Office/No Office, makes decisions/not allowed to make decisions, parks near the front door/parks at the back of the parking lot, etc., etc. 

Corporate culture does vary by company and location and I'm sure there are US companies like this. In my experience it is less true of west-coast headquartered companies in the 'tech' industry.  I have often seen significant business decisions pushed very low down the organization, though spending approvals will be stratified though the levels of management. This gets worse when a company's financial growth is marginal.

In my experience, the corporate culture with the most slavish attention to pecking order is in India.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7