The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good night owl from the Piedmont.

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

It's Canadian, eh.

(Although some of the later ones were built in Indiana.)

Oddly, I was in Muncie, Indiana for a hobby show when they were being built and did not know it! :(

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Big debate is whether it's safe to go out for newspapers in the mornings.

We can get all our local news from the local rags' websites. Perhaps you can too? I would hold off for a week or two while we see how things pan out.

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, chrisf said:

The world as we know it is collapsing around our ears - one less episode of The Archers every week, two fewer doses of Hollyoaks and the postponement of Pride in London.  What apart from our liberty do we lose next?  Our marbles, probably.  I am dreading the cancellation of Sidmouth Folk Festival if and when it comes.  It cannot function without the pubs and cafes of the town and has been a key part of my life since 1975.  We’re doomed, I tell you.

Hopefully not doomed but It's certainly going to be a significant PITA (I've got a bit of that going on at the moment but that's probably a bit TMI.)

At least some of our fearless leaders have come to the conclusion that "mitigation" is little different from "appeasement" when it comes to Mother Nature. Unfortunately the one to your West seems to be getting the wind up as he watches his hospitality empire go down the tubes.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

For what it's worth (probably not much) it's possible that lacking a sense of taste and/or smell might indicate a latent infection of the virus - inflammation at the taste/smell receptors.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Fresh air is beneficial. Staying in a potentially stuffy, warm atmosphere will only help incubate the virus.

10 hours ago, brianusa said:

I don't visit every day so hopefully I shall not be presumed dead!

Brian:)

Some of us read regularly but do not see the need to comment. Others feel the need to publish a daily diatribe. That's the beauty of this thread; we can all use it to suit us. 'Missing', 'absent' etc., may be a personal choice, not necessarily a cause for concern.

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

All non-essential shops are to close (most have already done so anyway - the notable exception being the Guildford branch of a well-respected emporium)

And by restricting the numbers of customers in the shop are running the risk of forming a non-socially distanced queue outside, as I read it!

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The last 2 days when I left ER for the rest of the forum, it declined to load any more topics, even when I refreshed the screen. I must have spent so much time here that it logged me out.

Very quiet here. Big debate is whether it's safe to go out for newspapers in the mornings.

If it's safe enough to deliver the newspapers to the shops in the first place...

• Like 15
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning to Corona UK Lockdown day 1- I am sure that soemone will come up with something catchier - excuse the pun!!

More seriously its needed and was expected after the weekend crowds at scenic spots and beaches etc. but with the reduction in underground trains not surprised that there has been crowding on the trains. If I was still working I can guess that I would have been told that I was still required to work as my workplace does quite a bit of NHS work - the Govt. does need to define what is necessary workers as bosses will have different interpretations to many employees.

I have just placed an online order with Amazon for a replacement fridge for the shed as the old one failed last Autunm  plus paint for the layout fascia that I was oging to get at the local paint mixer today so hopefully they will get through otherwise I may be after a refund. I should have planned a bit sooner to obtian the relevant materials to start building the high level test track circuits in the shed as that would have kept me busy for weeks but I dont have enough timber let alone track.

I have emailed the DVLA re the MOT situation. I just dont want to get a fine for no road tax as I guess that will run not be renewed without an MOT so hoping that they do something about this as I wont be the only one. I have been told by a friend that he heard it on the news a week ago thatit would be Ok but DVLA need to update their website to confirm this.

Anyway its good weather again so will be working on the layout outdoors right next to my overflow beer stash but wont start the Kissingate Dark ruby Mild 6% till I have finished with power tools as dont want any BAZ / GDB incidents.

Stay safe all.

20200323_140027.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

JohnDMJ,

Unfortunately  some of the people who stopped posting on ERs can be classed as " missing" as others have tried various methods of contacting them. 

Which reminds me I must contact Horestan as I think he has some information I need.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Nicki's car is booked for an MOT on Friday and she needs it to get to the hospital for work as she is rightly concerned about using public transport.

However I found this  list earlier which shows exceptions to closures and it appears garages and petrol stations are included. Whether on not they will carry out MOTs I don't know.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

Thanks Bob.

I rang the garage and they are still open doing MOT's. They have a distancing procedure in place but wont say what incase any local car thieves are happening to browse this thread.

• Like 19

Like Chris, I watch too much television. Some of the late night comics, and a late morning "infotainment" show are broadcasting their monologues from home. (Most of the balance of the show is repeats of old celebrity interviews.) Without the normal writing round table and studio production values it has the effect of random people doing YouTube shows from their basement.

In the US, most TV is filmed in New York, LA (and Vancouver, BC). With New York and LA shut down it all makes me wonder when, depending on how long seclusions take, the broadcasters will run out of new episodes of content (be they game shows, scripted comedies and dramas, or reality shows). I presume that most of the current seasons are in the can anyway and we will head into the summer rerun season with only the daily productions (and sports) being impacted.

If there were a silver lining of shutting down TV production, for me it would be the darkening of reality shows (singing, courtship, housemates, whatever)  which despite watching too much television, can never be found wasting electricity and bandwidth in my home.

Most advertisements, without any sense of irony are unchanged from before the "stay home, save lives" orders began. I have been waiting for, and have now noticed a couple of, advertisers adjusting their pitch to the "new normal". So far they are automotive suppliers. Toyota has a "we're here for you" pitch which I presume is supposed to be reassuring or something.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

Morning, to be honest these latest clampdowns do not have an effect on us, we were doing all of it anyway, we have medicine to collect later this week, it will be the only time the car will move. Stay safe all and keep on modelling...……………………………(with a bit of licence taken from SWMBO favourite tv dancing show, I hear it, but don't watch it in case you're interested lol)

• Like 18
  • Agree 1