The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Waiting patiently in the queue, the woman at the front was explaining how she needed four sacks of porridge oats as “she could live on porridge and she needed some for her sister in law”. 

I'm not so sure about that. I'm reminded of the tall tale I was told many years ago of the last case of scurvy in the UK - allegedly a Scottish student at Sheffield Uni. He made himself a "draw of porridge" and attempted to live on it for a term - there was a list of the inventive ways solidified porridge could be prepared - but alas it was deficient in vitamin C.

That in turn reminds me of a former colleague who had a meeting In Dublin. At the pub afterwards, he asked about the story that one could survive on a diet of Guinness alone. His hosts had to admit that this wasn't quite true: to meet one's recommended daily intake of nutrients, one would need to consume one pint of orange juice, two pints of milk, and forty-seven pints of Guinness. 

52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

20200318_143434.jpg.ac715e8880852c3c8897a4a70e0b42f8.jpg

"They order, said I, this matter better in France." Laurence Sterne, A Sentimental Journey (1768) opening line.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 12
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Do any ERs think they are likely to be be conscripted? Someone mentioned about older recalled doctors. One of the things they could be doing apparently is countersigning death certificates(Cremation requires two signatures )  releasing more currently qualified doctors from the admin task. 

Things seem to be a bit more relaxed in these parts. MrsID did a stint as a travelling hospice nurse latterly and she could sign by herself. Quick call to the undertaker and that was that.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Tess Coes was less crowded lunch time but there's a lot of empty shelves in sight but I got most of what I needed. A few extras was some cheeses from the deli counter, they are closing the in store deli, fresh fish and butchery from tomorrow so they are de-stocking at reduced prices. 

5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

IThe roads are definitely much quieter round here but some semblance of normal life still prevails, there's plenty of jogging and dog walking happening, the 'mad Irish woman with a big hairy dog' and the 'octagenarian old dear in pink lycra' are still showing what they're made of...!

I can't un-imagine the mental picture that that conjures up.:O:scared::bad:

5 hours ago, polybear said:

What did he do "wrong" ?

He's in the highest risk category as he's on dialysis and should be isolating already. So he goes out shopping! Our sister is more to be feared than any SWMBO.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just spotted the ad on top of the page, advertising cruises for 2021.

I had an ad for an N95 Respirator mask yesterday. It's sunglasses right now.

AdChoices by Google can be very dependent on what you click on and what you search for, not just recently but their picture of who you are and what people in your demographic might like. That and a degree of randomness (or at least how much the advertiser is willing to pay to get your eyeballs on their ad).

I haven't seen television advertising adapt to the "new normal" yet either.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm not brave enough to ask questions on whatever the correct thread is (Hornby ex GW loco plastic bits?) but I would appreciate it if the black thing in the photo could be identified and where do I put it, please.

It was under the loco, King Henry III. I have looked to see if I can see another similar part and can't find anything. Ian (Roundhouse) once identified a really tiny wire that was loose on a Merchant Navy Bulleid loco for me. I dont know much about ex GWR locos and I bought it because I like the colour (blue).

676773699_thingfromKing.jpg.77692996e6e4f4f3fb48cf745f2552cd.jpg

Penny for scale  if it isn't clear I will retake with a better camera.

Thanks Tony

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I'm not brave enough to ask questions on whatever the correct thread is (Hornby ex GW loco plastic bits?) but I would appreciate it if the black thing in the photo could be identified and where do I put it, please.

It was under the loco, King Henry III. I have looked to see if I can see another similar part and can't find anything. Ian (Roundhouse) once identified a really tiny wire that was loose on a Merchant Navy Bulleid loco for me. I dont know much about ex GWR locos and I bought it because I like the colour (blue).

676773699_thingfromKing.jpg.77692996e6e4f4f3fb48cf745f2552cd.jpg

Penny for scale  if it isn't clear I will retake with a better camera.

Thanks Tony

Unfortunately I can't help you this time as its GWR but  (I think) I know man who can - Mr Stationmaster where are you?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am particularly envious of your North's Navigation coal carrier.

What is it's parentage?

Now you're asking!  I made that about 20-odd years ago, for a light railway project that was stillborn due to the club losing its premises.  I think it is most likely a Slaters kit.  Hang on, I've been on the rock 18 years so maybe at least 25 years ago...sheesh.  It gets more layers of weathering as and when it gets shuffled around the embryonic layout, it really could do with a 'P' number too as the modelled period has moved on the the 50's. Ish. And a bit. Ahem.  And to Paneer area of course.

20200315_160539.jpg.556076380ee016ec9b28f8cd881f79e4.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Now you're asking!  I made that about 20-odd years ago, for a light railway project that was stillborn due to the club losing its premises.  I think it is most likely a Slaters kit.  Hang on, I've been on the rock 18 years so maybe at least 25 years ago...sheesh.  It gets more layers of weathering as and when it gets shuffled around the embryonic layout, it really could do with a 'P' number too as the modelled period has moved on the the 50's. Ish. And a bit. Ahem.  And to Paneer area of course.

Railtec do a sheet of P numbers.  I know because I've just ordered a set for a batch of five x 7 plank PO wagons.  They will all be finished in grey and scabbiness, so no fancy liveries on them, however faded

There will be spare numbers left over, so I can send you a set for N(H)N.

The reason I asked was I once considered building a model based on the entrance to North's Navigation, which is actually north of Maesteg, after seeing it in book about  'Modelling Aspects of the Coal Industry'.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The weirdest thing happened in my email inbox today. (My email utility is my internet providers' custom web portal. It is pretty crappy.)

The most recent two emails have content from earlier emails for the message body with no trace of the relevant message. An email from a financial company has a "please review your purchase" message from an online retailer and a "Bachmann TrainMail" message contains a COVID-19 update from a different financial company.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10