The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Us old folk seem to be reacting against rather than with the mass panic that the Woke and Millennial generations espouse. I have a nephew in the British Army and he / they have been briefed on his / their anticipated role - some forward planning at least it seems. As for telling every septuagenarian to remain behind closed doors indefinitely, what a load of row locks! What penalty do the authorities intend to impose on those who disobey? Are they planning on using The Army to put down dissenters? Let’s face it, the police can’t even control Extinction Rebellion protesters as it would impinge on those protesters’ human rights if they did! I know it is serious and particularly for anyone who cops a dose (to which I will not be immune) but, as anyone who has any connection with organisations where black humour prevails knows, “sh!t happens” - maybe that has caused the run on Andrex (other brands are available). 

Last night there was a Soul Night in our village hall. Probably around 100 people attended and much gyrating and / or dad dancing occurred, no doubt involving handling parts of other dancing partners. One of my daughter’s friends had a birthday bash in their house, no doubt there were at least a score of people there in a relatively confined space. How many cases of Corvid-19 will result, I do not know. We did not attend either so could it be that we will be some of the few left able to roam this village?

We shall continue with our planned expedition to the foothills of The Malverns later today. We shall be meeting just one person so the gathering will not fall foul of the lower social limit. That person also can not look forward to a 70th birthday as it has happened for him too. At least we are never short of something with which to gargle when in his company.

Like Baz, I feel Blenheim would be nicer but sadly I am here and not there. I urge you therefore to be (reasonably) good, be careful and please, have fun!

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Morning all. 

Richard, for what it's worth....

U bend in the kitchen sink got blocked once upon a time.

Sink full of dirty water failing to drain. 

Put a washing up beneath the U bend and proceeded to remove the U bend.

Contents of sink successfully captured in washing up bowl.  

Now what do we normally do with water in the washing up bowl?

Yep. 

Just about got the plug in the sink before it was toooo late.

I have tee shirts recounting such events for sale Andy :mocking_mini:.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Chrisf, you are soright. Many of those in charge around the globe have (to use a USA term) " Seen the elephant"..ie been involved in a real nasty war. Some of the UK Scientist are flapping as well. STOP PANICKING!

I wonder how many people have died of the flu this year? Against the last UK records this pandemic is still  ot as bad as "ordinary" flu.

It seems that around 165,000 die just in the UK every year from the Big C, so around 450 per day, every day.  The worst day for C-19 deaths saw 448 deaths worldwide, if internet statistic are to be believed....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Morning all. 

Richard, for what it's worth....

U bend in the kitchen sink got blocked once upon a time.

Sink full of dirty water failing to drain. 

Put a washing up beneath the U bend and proceeded to remove the U bend.

Contents of sink successfully captured in washing up bowl.  

Now what do we normally do with water in the washing up bowl?

Yep. 

Just about got the plug in the sink before it was toooo late.

I've got that T-shirt too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a sunny and bright Charente.  Today is the ides of March as has been alluded to above. A significant day for Beth and I as it is the anniversary  of the deaths of both our mothers, 30 and 26 years ago respectively. For many years we have marked this by goi g out for a good meal and raising a glass to absent friends.  As restaurants are now closed it's fortunate that we had decided to eat at home this year and some fillet steak is in the fridge. A suitable bottle will be put on one side as well.  It looks as if No 1 son and fiancee will not be heading to California next weekend.

Anyway we are OK for food and the kit mou tain will sustain me for several years. We will visit yhe market this morning as ysual vut not have our usual coffee and chat in the bar.  Shutters will continue to be painted and there ard still 22 holes to square, i got 16 done yesterday.  Some muddling will no doubt be done as well.  With thd sunshine life us not bad at all.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Sunshine is good for the immune system. Sadly, not much of it here today.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull here. 
Aditi was chatting to a friend yesterday (by telephone) who hadn’t rushed out and bought toilet roll and is now close to running out and is rationing until her Sainsbury order arrives in the week. No loo roll anywhere in Brentwood it seems.  However our friend’s main concern is how her husband will cope without all the sport he watches and listens to. 
Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

STOP PANICKING!

I wonder how many people have died of the flu this year? Against the last UK records this pandemic is still  ot as bad as "ordinary" flu.

Abso-bl**dy-lutely.  One can "prove" anything with statistics but despite this thing being more contagious than some others it is still far less lethal than annual flu, common cold and many other non-viral conditions.  The planet has assumed panic mode and lacks the firm leadership to ease the collective mind.  

Keep clam and curry on.  

• Like 14
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Other half has just text to say the large Tescos near Gatwick has many empty shelves. She couldn't get any toilet rolls and the place is wedged. Now she has to do battle with all the diverted traffic off the m23 which is shut Northbound this weekend.

meanwhile I am sitting here with a pile of windows produced on the Silhouette cutter. Now to fit them to the stable block

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I suspect Ally-pally will be called off, what with layouts and traders pulling out. If you are not attending or it is cancelled there is this.>>

image.png.69500b881ae31312b3de482f8b4e6d1d.png

Though you have to be a Farcebook member to participate.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that around 165,000 die just in the UK every year from the Big C, so around 450 per day, every day.  The worst day for C-19 deaths saw 448 deaths worldwide, if internet statistic are to be believed....

As 'twas once said, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11