The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Sadly the H& S executive take a different view.

The first full day I worked at Tesco as a maintenance man, i was involved with the visit of the H+S executive. A "Baker" on night shift had removed the safety barriers, bypassed the safety switch, to clear a blockage , and left the top of a finger in the roll divider machine which was still running. Tesco got fined something like £50,000.

They replaced the machine with one that worked in a different way..

Yes, it is not possible to watch staff all the time and there are those who will take short cuts e.g. to 'get off early' and do something stupid( its been OK so far so why should I change how I do it) and yet the company get the fine but there are a lot of companies that ignore H&S - predominantly it seems cowboy roofers from the press.  It would be helpful if the 'workers' who take the short cuts were the ones prosecuted.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Up early and cleaned as much as worthwhile the flat is going to be ripped apart in a few weeks a friend is staying over so I thought I'd remove the skid marks.:jester:

My man flu seems to have gone I hope, I will make another assault on Stainburys for a new duvet this winter one is far to warm I went to my old store Horrorsons

which is far cleaner yesterday and found plenty of bog rolls, so I can continue to wipe my bum all over that dog, talking of dogs I've not seen the little puppy with this 

flu the slapped #rse has been feeding him she don't like him as he is bigger and knocks her around he he he .

I have an appointment for a US urinary tract tomorrow sounds like fun :biggrin_mini2:

Its lunch time here enjoy the rest of the day :superman:P.I.Staking :biggrin_mini2:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sadly the H& S executive take a different view.

The first full day I worked at Tesco as a maintenance man, i was involved with the visit of the H+S executive. A "Baker" on night shift had removed the safety barriers, bypassed the safety switch, to clear a blockage , and left the top of a finger in the roll divider machine which was still running. Tesco got fined something like £50,000.

They replaced the machine with one that worked in a different way..

A lack of training and procedures by the employer and / or a lack of forethought and planning by the maintenance department / man? We live in an era in which legislation is created at a far greater rate than it can ever be properly policed and vested interests come into play here. Legislation = litigation = FEES. So much of recent legislation is simply unenforceable or unenforced sops to conscience.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

A lack of training and procedures by the employer and / or a lack of forethought and planning by the maintenance department / man? We live in an era in which legislation is created at a far greater rate than it can ever be properly policed and vested interests come into play here. Legislation = litigation = FEES. So much of recent legislation is simply unenforceable or unenforced sops to conscience.

Nope the " baker" was being lazy. the instructions were to hit the safety switch, (big red button, ) turn off at the wall, then remove guards. " Sticky Dough" used to clog the machine.. Sticky dough meant the " baker" hadn't mixed it right as per the instructions..

Note " Baker" = teenager paid little, Told / shown how to use machines, there is  / was a book with each machine  on procedures  For cleaning / use of / clearing of blockages. Also a book with signatures on who was cleared to use what, signed by the user..

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Probably Sour Gas, which can come from oil as well, Hydrogen Sulphide, kills at 200ppm one of the gas. Where as oil wells bring up some gas, gas wells bring up some oil ...

A lot of the wells in Alberta produce hydrogen sulphide, and sulphur is extracted from the gas. It arrives here for export - in 100 car trains! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was targeted by some 'crash for cash' scammers yesterday but fortunately I was suspicious of them and managed to avoid them though it meant making an emergency stop. More details in the driving standards thread. MR club tonight, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, pH said:

A lot of the wells in Alberta produce hydrogen sulphide, and sulphur is extracted from the gas. It arrives here for export - in 100 car trains! 

Yep,  the sulphur is extracted from sour gas at Bacton too,  but there's only enough for a couple of road tankers a week.  The unusable remains are burnt off from a 175ft tower.. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

SMOG tonight and very nice it was too and accompanied by Aussie Shiraz with more to follow.

Steve popped in at lunchtime as he was working from home today and a plan of action agreed for our cruise and he will investigate a couple of options for later this year or maybe next year.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

First the Tesco news - toilet paper shelves were absolutely, utterly, and completely, empty.  

Plenty of "TP" (as they say here) on the shelves though possibly less than the usual superabundance. Absolutely no disinfecting wipes anywhere. Plenty of bleach and household cleaners. Plenty of paper towels. Nothing with them combined for convenience. No hand sanitizer either. 

The hand sanitizer "shortage" is leading to some creative solutions. A local distiller has produced some with 160 proof neutral spirits, with a disclaimer indicating no guarantees of efficacy, available while supplies last. The State of New York prison system has begun to produce hand sanitizer (branded NYS Clean) as well. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The hand sanitizer "shortage" is leading to some creative solutions. A local distiller has produced some with 160 proof neutral spirits, with a disclaimer indicating no guarantees of efficacy, available while supplies last

I am sure when Matthew was in Alberta stronger alcohol was routinely available. The name sounded like something for cleaning though rather than its  intended drinking use. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

I've also seen those piles of sulphur and trains of it on Kicking Horse Pass and wonderec where it all came from.

Now I know, thanks to ER's.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3