The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BoD said:

This is probably more than just an urban myth - for several reasons, ambiance being only one of them.

Different breweries too. The only time I was in Ireland was in about 2001 so was used to the English version which at that time was still brewed at Park Royal. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I quite like a Guinness or several. Normally drink it if a bar has no decent real ale available.

P.S. Seemed to taste much better in Ireland.

I had a couple last night as the ales were off in the local.  When most of the Guinness sold in England was brewed at Park Royal, Dublin brewed did taste better. ISTR some areas like Liverpool had Dublin Guinness shipped over. Some Irish bars in London and elsewhere also sold it.

Kitchen fitter is here installing the sink and washing machine.  Now I need to get the floor sorted.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

the road outside the Guinness Storehouse was being dug up and I told Aditi the exposed pipes were carrying the Guinness to England. She wasn't fooled though  

Didn't they ship it from Dublin to the UK in a tanker? 

18 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Many moons ago before I saw sense. (stop laughing) I used to enjoy the snakebite with black @ The Intrepid Fox in Soho. A great bar. The drawback of that is my p!ss was purple for several days afterwards. I understand the Ribena these days has far less food colouring in it. 

I like beetroot, cooked but with no vinegar. The purple poo was a bit worrying until I realised the cause.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

Greetings all from LBG where it looks like it might rain.

Best wishes to Mick NB for his brother - I hope the medical teams can find a solution for him.

Dinosaurs - Elder Lurker had a phase of being obsessed with them when he was around 3. This was great for me as I have a fascination with them too. We bought several different sets of dinosaur top trumps and he knew all of them within weeks, pronouncing their names correctly, identifying the period they came from, what they ate, correcting MiL's pronunciation etc. When he was 4 we had a holiday in the New Forest and went across to the Isle of Wight to visit the dinosaur museum at Sandown. He was far more interested in  the crazy golf next door, and we knew the phase was over...!

Still, I got to do it all again when Younger Lurker came along, although not to the same extent.

I think the best pint of Guinness I had was in the bar in Arrivals in Dublin airport; better than any I had the rest of that weekend! As for other stouts, Harvey's Imperial Stout is a cracker.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning all from a cloudy and damp place.  It's muddy outside as we had a lot of the hard standing area scraped yesterday. It used to be a parking and turning place for lorries but over the years moss and leaf fall had built up to make it a grassyvarea that has turned to mud this winter. It looks rather muddy now but a bit of rain should wash thstboff and leave it a lot better.   Quizzing was done last night and a bottle of bubbly came back with us.

We will soon be talking to daughter and granddaughter then i have a bit of painting to do to finish off the current set of shutters.  Not a lot else planned so time might be spent doing some muddling.

Thoughts very much with Mick and his brother and family.

Regards to all.

Jamie

The trick, once painting of the shitters sorry, shutters is complete is to repaint a few each year on a rolling cycle basis - starting next year - whether they need it or not.

Unless you fancy doing the whole lot again in one go in ten years time....

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Gasman arrived at 08:30... a miracle!  He is now servicing the gas appliances...fingers crossed that all is well!

Started sorting my holiday snaps. One for ChrisF from Australia Zoo

IMG_1471.JPG.b5de7f533efe04d6127d10b0f6bbbc91.JPG

baz

Now what exactly is he up to with that paw?  It looks like that leaf could be hiding a multitude of sins....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Different breweries too. The only time I was in Ireland was in about 2001 so was used to the English version which at that time was still brewed at Park Royal. 

I never really liked the taste of Park Royal Guinness and in my stout drinking days I was a confirmed consumer of Mackeson which I mi uch preferred.  And my 'local' pub (at almost the opposite end of the town as it happened - using the shortest route I passed 5 other pubs to get to it) used to stock pint bottles of the stuff just for me, real customer service back in those days.  However I was very taken with the Dublin version of Guinness which I too thought was much creamier than Park Royal's effort

A lot of Park Royal' output went by rail hence their acquisition of two 350 shunters which have finished up on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway which allows me to make the perhaps unusual claim that I have driven something which shitfed hundreds of tons of Guinness over the years.

Our local brewery, like quite a few others, used to bottle Guinness for its tied houses and there was a bulk tank in one corner of the bottling area which could hold hundreds of gallons of the stuff.  it was delivered by bulk  tanker on a Thursday and the last bottling job of the week was bottling the Guinness on Friday.  As always any ullage went into the firkins which we made up in the bottling store for the staff cabin, which was really little more than a hole in the wall, where we obtained our free drinks.  It was amazing stuff as it was made out of the ullage from the pipework after each bottling run plus the pipework ullage from filling barrels in the department next door.  I reckon on that side they arranged it so that some firkins would be 100% full of draught beers while the leftovers went round to the bottling store for completion - we just put into the barrels whatever was left as ullage after a bottling run.

The bulk Guinness tank was a rather dangerous work environment because after being emptied it had to be washed down to get it completely clean inside.  This was done by removing a manhole cover on the side then somebody climbed into it to make sure it was thoroughly washed from the top downwards before coming back out to finish off the bottom of the tank.  But when it was first installed nobody understood the danger involved in going inside it and somebody climbed in  immediately after the manhole had been opened - and within minutes collapsed, knocked out by Guinness fumes.  After that nasty lesson the tank was always left a while with the manhole open to allow air to circulate and some hosing down was done before the 'cleaner' climbed in. and splashed about in his wellies in heavily diluted Guinness.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I think the best pint of Guinness I had was in the bar in Arrivals in Dublin airport; better than any I had the rest of that weekend! As for other stouts, Harvey's Imperial Stout is a cracker.

You must have been desperate for a pint to drink in arrivals:D

I was drinking Harveys Old and then Harveys Porter last night. I have heard and read that Guinness is really a porter than a stout.

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I never got a taste for the Park Royal Guinness. About 25 years ago my son introduced me to the Dublin brew. His lady friend since university days is from the north of Ireland.  When he went on to study in London and she was back in Ireland they would regularly meet up in Dublin. He would come back on the late boat into Holyhead and catch the train to see us in Birmingham on his way back south. He used to turn up on the first train out of Moor St with as much Guinness as he could carry.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

I'm was going to give the shows a miss till the late spring I might go to Basingstoke depends on how I feel I've not bothered to get my free Ally Pally ticket you should not have to chase it I would

have thought it would have been in the post being a gold member, that's tosh we will look after you, having had several requests sidetracked for a week or more I'm not impressed after the

Pendon visit with RMWeb which was excellent service has reverted to zero. Pah 

The man flu symptoms seem to have abated so I went food shopping as I had run out of everything and went to Argos to pick up my new vacuum cleaner and it knocks spots for those

heavy old dyson things with the digital motor (what a load of tosh no such thing), I purchased A Shark what a lovely crafted piece of equipment pleased with my purchase the entire flat got vac'ed.

The car park here is a free for all someone parked where I normally park which is the general rule so I left my car in their spot and placed tape over my door buzzer several neighbours have made

comments about the old Witch will be banging on your front door, the car will be moved when I go out next bet she's sticking pins into my effigy.

It wasn't the snoring with Murphy's Dave it was the parping all night that the slapped #rse didn't like.

Better get on enjoy what's left of it :superman:S.M. Elligit :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

During my years in a business related to brewing, I had reason to visit Runcorn, Park Royal and St James Gate. In my mind, the best brew was in Dublin. When Park Royal closed, St James Gate ramped up production to cope. This I believe was added to the volumed shipped in two tank ships that sailed between Dublin and Runcorn. Runcorn also “let down” the concentrate with treated water to reach the normal sales ABV before packaging into bottles, cans and kegs.

All bulk beer tanks will have an atmosphere of CO2 and or N2, neither of which will support normal healthy aspiration. Washing with hot water dissolves some but not all of the CO2. Simple spray balls added via the top or through the lower manway (in which case it would be at the end of an extended pipe arm) allowed the tanks to be thoroughly washed without people going inside. If Caustic Soda - the cheapest and most widely used cleaning chemical - is used to clean such vessels in a CO2 environment, the solution is converted to Sodium Bicarbonate before becoming Sodium Carbonate, neither of which will effectively clean beer tanks. “Bright” beer tanks are often cleaned with an inorganic acid such as Nitric and Phosphoric or combinations of them. Most modern breweries have their tanks arranged for in place cleaning through fixed devices that remain permanently installed.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 16