The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I have purchased Continental Modeller since day one. However, when sorting for two moves ago, I discovered that there were some issues missing.  I'd thoroughly gone through the collection and removed (from the staple-bound issues) all the adverts to reduce the space required and organised loft storage for them but after my last move, I've been through some of them and thought "what's the point?" So far, I have consigned about 20% to the recycle facility; I do try and keep anything of my own doing, however!

I have now whittled some ten subscriptions into just two, TR:E and TR:UK. If I 'need' any others, I'll purchase them next time I'm in the relevant country!

I now just get TR:E as hard copy and two other mags electronically each month but others are just as and when there is something in them that I wish to read.

Morning all from a damp Surrey.

A new batch of crust earning collected yesterday, one diesel and six kettles to weather.

Maybe some more digging if the weather improves and possibly a start on the patio extension which will make use of the rubble removed form the back of the garden.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 999/625

Another odd nights sleep, 1.5 hours, 4 hours 1.5 hours which isn't a bad total..

Yesterday just after lunch, the exertions of the weekend caught up with me, I suddenly felt exceedingly knackered to the point of dizziness. Luckily I was sitting to work and remained so till pack up time..

I did try electronic magazines, in a effort to reduce the Magazine mountain but found I disliked the experience. I have cut down to just two modelling magazines RM and MRJ. When the next cull occurs, I will just keep those magazines with anything  specially of interest,  The Highland Railway and The Midland and South Western Junction Railway.

Reading up on The landrover starting problems I discovered a note from someone that if you hold the starter on for 10 seconds after it has gone click and done nothing. Then retry starting it may work... it did.. The thought discussed afterwards in that thread, is that dampness has got into the solenoid, holding it on heats it up, dries it out, then it works.. It'll only be temporary but should allow me to keep using it while I get the bits to fix it..

With that it's

Time to  go carry one from where I finished..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmm, I bought a six of Guinness Stout (first time ever) at the local Bi-Lo (it waas on sale for $9.00), after one bottle I think that I just wasted nine dollars. Absolutely no taste (to me, at least), my well water is better. Oh well, I will probably finish the pack but it will take quite a while.

On a more cheerful note;  good night owl from the Piedmont.

Stout is perhaps the Marmite of beers - love it or hate it. But lack of flavour? Surely not.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Like any search on the 'net it all depends on what you ask for.  i just did a goggle inquiry and finished up with loads of pictures of Danish locos of all types and sizes.  I was a bit selective in my search question and I actually got what I asked for plus some wider links.  So try this -

DSB 0-6-0 steam locos

And Mick sorry to hear about your brother but at least it sounds as if the Medics are doing their best for him - fingers crossed.

"DSB+0-6-0+locomotives" should give a better result.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s still raining, but thankfully is isn’t heavy rain. Breakfast has been consumed and shortly I’ll be heading off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, it will be a little earlier than usual and I’m sure to get caught up in the great local school run. This is because Sheila has a 9 o’clock appointment with the hairdressers and I’m dropping her off there on my way. The up side is that I will be home a lot earlier than usual.

Due to the weather there will be no work done outside today, so the plan is to do some more work will be done in the cellar. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Aditi did get the lawns (rather a grand description for the front and rear grassy areas) cut yesterday. Then it started raining. So she did some pruning.I made tea.

A day of general pottering today. 
Guinness. I really like Guinness. Though I am constantly told here are other dark stouts,etc. However my reason for drinking it is that I like it. Also it is often required as a cooking ingredient. There will be plenty for cooking here now as I really seem to have “gone off” any alcoholic drinks. Water and tea seem to be all I really want now. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Grey and damp outside, the rain has stopped for the time being.

Not sure what's happening today need to check with the boss.

Guinness I remember a phase of it being drunk with blackcurrant juice in it, which was okay until someone had one too many and was sick. It looked like they were  bleeding to death! 

Whilst I do like Guinness two pints is enough for me these days, without blackcurrant !!!

Enjoy your day 

Alan

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Shedman5 said:

Guinness I remember a phase of it being drunk with blackcurrant juice in it,

I do recall a friend while we were studying for our PGCEs drinking Guinness, cider and Pernod. I didn't  

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry but grey outside and blowing quite strongly but warmer this morning than it was all day yesterday. Glad too see that most organisations are treating the coronavirus outbreak sensibly. At SEERS we are discussing it but not helped by one committee member going into full Corporal Jones mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0lOtdvqyg

Now its time to light a fire under MilkandMore. I've found the head honcho's e-mail address and he will be receiving an e-mail shortly.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

P.S. Seemed to taste much better in Ireland.

This is probably more than just an urban myth - for several reasons, ambiance being only one of them.

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I do recall a friend while we were studying for our PGCEs drinking Guinness, cider and Pernod. I didn't  

Very wise.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1