The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, The Lurker said:Rugby has changed so much I rarely watch it now. I lost interest in it during its previous sojourn on Sky. I look out for the results.

Sport always seemed to stir deep tribal feelings and little has changed. Some supporters feel empowered by the event to act stupidly and sometimes violently. This is in part a reflection on our society. It isn’t just rugby either, look at soccer and even how some idiots have to shout “get in the hole” before a player hits his / her ball - or the behaviour of the cricket fanatics known as The Barmy Army. It won’t change back now so you and I may just mourn that which has passed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

ChrisF:  had you heard that Dublin has cancelled its St Patrick's Day parade? They must be very concerned (or cautious) to allow that to happen. Still, there's plenty of time for things to change between now and the end of June.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi didn’t really like cats so probably wouldn’t have cared about Tom being beaten up. I don’t think we saw any Tom and Jerry when Matthew was little.  However he soon was seeing most of the Disney films and loads of Thomas. And Pingu didn’t make him delinquent either. I think being an elderly first time parent made Aditi a bit anxious initially. 

I bought myself a dvd box set for a trip down memory lane when elder Lurker was about 6. He found them hilarious and commandeered them for his own room when he was given a telly in later year so 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, BoD said:

ChrisF:  had you heard that Dublin has cancelled its St Patrick's Day parade? They must be very concerned (or cautious) to allow that to happen. Still, there's plenty of time for things to change between now and the end of June.

I had, thanks.  I am in touch with Pride admin.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 14

7 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its Danish,  Danish steam locos have the red ring on the chimney

I went looking online for Continental locomotives - Danish in particular, given the LEGO Group's homeland. I couldn't find any but the German ones. Searching for 0-6-0 tank locomotives found more British examples than anything, even when specifying German or Danish.

Perhaps I needed to search using Danish words to get the right answers.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

before that LEGO made trains. The rails were bright blue. you had to assemble them on to sleepers. 

Now that you mention it, I remember the blue track. A childhood friend had some and that was certainly more than 40 years ago. 40 years ago we were teenagers and certainly weren't playing with his LEGO. At that point he was close to getting his driving licence.

Looking at the link to set 7810 mentioned by @Compound2632 above, the anniversary is a specific reference to the "LEGO Trains" theme which was apparently introduced in 1980. They have changed their trains so many times over the years.

Apparently the blue track dates back to 1966 and was retired in 1978 with new system being introduced in 1980.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
LEGO Trains Theme - 1980
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I realized I'd left my cell phone in the taxi.

Fortunately the guy found it and called to let me know he had it, although he was back at the airport taxi queue by then. So, a late night, 10pm drive to the taxi queue to retrieve said article!

I'm guessing you called your telephone from home?

I'm glad it worked out. On the DFW SkyTrain (or whatever it's called) a gent departed leaving his mobile on the seat. It soon rang. I answered it. The people calling appeared to be relatives and I told them I would leave it with airport staff which proved harder than I thought it might while I was rushing to make a connection. I left it with someone at an information desk.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm guessing you called your telephone from home?

Indeed, but standard practice for me (your mileage may vary) is to put my phone on silent mode on the plane, so it was still that way, it'd just have vibrated, even though I called it several times.

The cab driver saw it once he was parked in the queue and just sorting out/cleaning his cab.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Of course the problem is they all stand around and say "who's going to be mayor"? and then all take one pace backwards..

Been there, done that! :biggrin_mini: Not as a mayorial choice, thankfully.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, BoD said:

My friend was very put out, he only became an Irish citizen last week

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Let's see now....

The latest from the UK Government, according to BBC News:

People who show "even minor" signs of respiratory tract infections or a fever will soon be told to self-isolate in an effort to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

The UK government's chief medical adviser said the change in advice could happen within the next 10 to 14 days.

So what's wrong with giving people that advice instruction now?

So we have to wait until it's bad enough before taking action to stop it getting bad?

Am I missing something here, or are these Bozo's really are a totally clueless bunch of brainless F.Wits?

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all ...snip... I never thought I would say this but I am seriously considering a cull.  I hate to throw anything away but needs must.  It is a daunting prospect.  Is there anything in the run if this or that comic that I want to keep?  I should hate to dump the whole lot in the recycling bin only to find,  ...snip... Best wishes to all

Chris

Chris,

Before you haul them off to the dumpster consider donating them to a children's' hospital, library, any waiting room, or other similar places. I once acquired about a dozen issues of a UK model train magazine (the one put out by PECO; the name escapes me) and an issue of the Hornby magazine (it had a rundown on the BR MK1 equipment)   brought over here by a fellow insulator collector and put on the free table. After reading and enjoying them, I saved three of the PECOs plus the Hornby and took the ones that I did not want to the local library's free table. Within a month or so they were gone.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Mike, the tax scam that you mentioned has been going on for years but 42% is being greedy, even the 'We will claim your PPI back for you' shysters only charged 25%.

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let's see now....

The latest from the UK Government, according to BBC News:

People who show "even minor" signs of respiratory tract infections or a fever will soon be told to self-isolate in an effort to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

The UK government's chief medical adviser said the change in advice could happen within the next 10 to 14 days.

So what's wrong with giving people that advice instruction now?

So we have to wait until it's bad enough before taking action to stop it getting bad?

Am I missing something here, or are these Bozo's really are a totally clueless bunch of brainless F.Wits?

3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Yes.

I've had sniffles on and off since October as I have had for the past few winters. Its a normal part of growing old, I'm now 71. The symptoms are very much the same so how will I know?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Chris,

Before you haul them off to the dumpster consider donating them to a children's' hospital, library, any waiting room, or other similar places. I once acquired about a dozen issues of a UK model train magazine (the one put out by PECO; the name escapes me) brought over here by a fellow insulator collector and put on the free table. After reading and enjoying them, I saved three and took the ones that I did not want to the local library's free table. Within a month or so they were gone.

That would be the Railway Modeller, just celebrated its 70th birthday. I suspect it being foreign had something to do with it. Mags like Model Railroader are more likely to be taken if offered on this side of the pond as well.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

One of the medications I have recently been prescribed gives about 20% of people a cough as a side effect. I seem to be in that 20%. Will I need to carry a pass to go out?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

20 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:.

Saturday saw me "modelling" assembling No. 7810.  No, LEGO have not beaten Dapol to the post. It doesn't look anything like "Draycott Manor". 

553860881_lego7810.PNG.8edaf9ca5632ec806f359455a57e41ec.PNG

Apparently LEGO systems trains are 40 years old. This commemorates that milestone.

1836761138_lego7810plinth.PNG.4e341c79fcc7c869c9fe3abcaf605538.PNG

It looks very German. If it's going to carry 7810 it needs some brass work somewhere. Maybe a coppercap?

What £100 of Lego did you buy to get that?

(Link to post about model) https://www.facebook.com/groups/18854918656/permalink/10157285459798657/

18E0F10F-36C4-4C78-950B-E180C64FE0E7.jpeg

• Like 11