The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A nice bowl of porridge with stewed apple and cinnamon has been consumed to break my fast. I’m not sure how good (or bad) the apple will be for sugar levels but I don’t think  I could face a bowl of plain porridge.  The apple was a fresh one stewed myself (is there no end to the man’s talents I hear you ask) so I know that any sugars will be natural and none will have been added which would be the case had I used tinned stuff.

We are dog sitting again, which we seem to do about 50% of the time these days, so no doubt I will soon be summoned and commanded to walk.

ChrisF  some time ago I attempted to rationalise my magazines by cutting out, filing and indexing articles I thought of use and discarding the adverts and irrelevant ones.  I will leave you to guess how far I got with that.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny at the moment but predicted to cloud over. No more new cases of coronavirus have been reported locally but more will be inevitable. Here is a list of the number of reported cases by district/town. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-area-area-breakdown-uk-21657815#source=push

The largest number of cases tends to be in areas with an aged population as you would expect. 

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Dare you to post that on Wright writes.

Its daring enough in the shadow of the awl.:jester:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

So far North Norfolk has bucked that trend as we have the second oldest age profile in the country and no cases..

I think it's just taking longer to get this far..

Or perhaps inbreeding helps build up resistance.:jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Bright and sunny

I'm still suffering this bout of man flu I thought I was going to getaway without catching anything no such luck I have managed to start this weeks

laundry the towels have gone in first as they had gone crispy must sort out the dampness in the bathroom the extractor is knackered as is everything else

soon to be ripped out and replaced.:butcher:

No Babe this weekend she has sensibly stayed away I'm in need of some TLC. :wub:

Better get back under the duvet I can't seem to keep the eyes open enjoy your day :superman:S.N.Ousey :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually  it's all the retiring incomers without webbed feet that are the cause of the old age 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, pH said:

From our grandson's second birthday celebration yesterday:

IMG_2358.JPG.0048ce0ef0f9e6007d972ffecfef3ea0.JPG

(Party animals!)

Warning:  These dinosaurs contain small parts....do not give to...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and sunny start to the day here but cloud and heavy rain forecast.

Had a great day yesterday but probably ate too much.  The Boss cooked a very nice Beef Cobbler and I made a strawberry and cinnamon torte  which went went down well.  Our friend's daughters liked it so much they took a big chunk home with them.

Just got to finish clearing up i.e. washing the glasses. Only 6 of us but we seem to have used 20 odd!

Before our visitors came I enjoyed the rugby. The only time I support Scotland is when they're playing France! :whistle:

Still got one recorded game to watch, Quins v Bristol and just for once I don't know the result. Probably will do before I get the chance to see it.

Better get on with the glasses I suppose.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
Cobbler not Cobber, no Aussies were harmed in the process!
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Well I spent the whole day in the garden, mainly working in the back garden. However, once I’d filled the wheelbarrow for the first time, I put a few tools in as well, then wheeled it round to the front and emptied it into the green bin.

I suggest that you go back to the bin and take your tools out of it before it's collected!

Adding unnecessary weight to the bin is not fair on the guys collecting it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

So the upper Spen Valley is going to be fine then.....

Meanwhile the ironing has been done and frsh ginger biscuits have just emerged from the oven.  Will I be allowed any is the big question that has not been asked yet.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite sunny now but my meteorological adviser seems to think it will rain later. 
I don’t think the ground has dried enough to cut the grass yet but Aditi has forbidden me to use the lawnmower. She said if the nurse has banned me from carrying shopping I shouldn’t push a mower around. Really though I think it is because she likes mowing the lawn. 
Not a lot happening, most exciting is the imminent arrival of a pastry brush from Amazon. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I took my son and daughter-in-law to the movies today. (I can't not watch new Pixar movies and like to have someone to see them with. I'm grateful to be so obliged.) "Onward", set in a world inspired by Dungeons and Dragons-style fantasy games, was entertaining. It's not a transformative cinematic experience. I went to see it as a Pixar fan and I'm not exhorting anyone to rush out and see it - this would raise expectations too much - but it made me smile all the same.

The bigger treat was a "Simpsons" short film - with Maggie (the baby) as the protagonist and no dialog. It was loaded with visual gags. The common denominator between the two is that they are both dominions of the house of mouse empire. Pixar has not released any of their hallmark short films since being assimilated into the house of mouse.

Saturday saw me "modelling" assembling No. 7810.  No, LEGO have not beaten Dapol to the post. It doesn't look anything like "Draycott Manor". 

553860881_lego7810.PNG.8edaf9ca5632ec806f359455a57e41ec.PNG

Apparently LEGO systems trains are 40 years old. This commemorates that milestone.

1836761138_lego7810plinth.PNG.4e341c79fcc7c869c9fe3abcaf605538.PNG

It looks very German. If it's going to carry 7810 it needs some brass work somewhere. Maybe a coppercap?

Surely its Danish,  Danish steam locos have the red ring on the chimney ….. and Lego is Danish.....

Keith

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Lego trains have been around for more than forty years - and the steam locos have traditionally sported the Danish colours on the chimney, true to prototype. The blue track was introduced in 1966; I had the motorised engine a couple of years later, possibly second hand from my cousins. @Ozexpatriate's set is a recreation of a 1980 set, though back then there was a bespoke piece for the buffers.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Rain later...*

On the first drive of the day at Betws on Saturday, I saw a couple of young rabbits on the green ahead, one of which I must have missed by a couple of feet (or less?) as it changed direction(!) and darted across the line in front of me.  Fortunately, I had already slowed in anticipation - rabbits cross your path all the time but none have been as close as this one!   (Jackdaws are a similar problem at West Shore - but they do it deliberately, i.e., wait till you come into view; land on the track; give you the eye; then fly off in the nick of time!  I have been known to stop the tr**n in the nick of time, too!

Anyway, I was unnerved for a bit, and tried not to think of the consequences...

Sunny day at Betws on Sunday which brought out the visitors and more than doubled our passenger numbers.  It must have been the warmest day so far - with the sun out, I was too hot in all my winter warmers...but fast forward to sun dipping down behind the mountains and it got quite chilly again.  Leaving the regular staff to run with the diesel, I drove the steam l*c* round to the yard, got the necessities done just in time to get inside the shed before the downpour, followed a little later by a rather sodden regular crew on the diesel.

A punctual departure, we stopped off at Siabod for our usual drink, teacake and a read of the mags - most of the snow on the mountains gone.

Best go and zap my gonecolddecafcoffee in the microwave...

Be *good.

________

Best wishes

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When Matthew was tiny , Aditi was very concerned that Bambi would be too scary so fast forwarded certain bits.  I also remember she was worried watching Pingu would cause delinquent behaviour. 

Oh, gosh.  Didn't I worry about it being too scary, too?  I remember seeing Bambi at the cinema (just) and I must say, it is the scary I remember but our own youngest loved it!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Warning; cynic alert.....

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

........ label stating for over 36 months...presumably of the edible variety - chew/bend/pull apart and they break up into small bits ready to swallow.

Sadly, that may be because the world (possibly America) has generated a culture of 'it's not me who is responsible' - even if it really is!

By placing the warning the buyer/distributor or manufacturer exempt themselves from being sued, that is until a 3+ yr old who has had little in the way of 'learning guidance' from a responsible adult swallows something and thus the lower age cut off will continue to rise.

At that point even we (grown ups?) won't be able to play with our tr@ins until retirement age - and even then there are those (you know who you are) who can't be trusted to not have accidents :D

• Agree 3
  • Funny 15

Greetings all from Sidcup where the sun and the clouds are taking it in turns to prevail.

I am working from home today as we have had our shower replaced. The man has been and done and gone which is good news; we can now go back to having showers in the morning!

The weekend was not very exciting; Younger Lurker had a swimming lesson and I had my hair cut. Other that that it was all very routine. Rugby has changed so much I rarely watch it now. I lost interest in it during its previous sojourn on Sky. I look out for the results.

• Like 19