The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Lots bought but no panic buying going on while we were there  (apparently it had been in place earlier in the day.) 

I did the weekly big Tesco shop this morning. Stock levels were generally good except that the pasta aisle was bare - except lasagne. Unfortunately lasagne had been rejected at this morning's meal planning discussion, so we'll be drawing on our supplies in hand - spaghetti, fusilli, penne, conchiglie, when what we really wanted was tagliatelle.

EDIT: never fear, found a packet of tripoline lurking at the back...

Now, is the pasta shortage due to panic buying here or a production crisis in northern Italy? There was no shortage of Parma ham or cheese.

Edited by Compound2632
Pasta aisle not isle!
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Train from Manchester was late...pah!

A trip to Moreasons was undertaken.  Lots bought but no panic buying going on while we were there  (apparently it had been in place earlier in the day.) 

Mike, the A350 is also a nice plane to fly in ..much better than a Boing. 

Noticed they have a Trident, a Nimrod, a Avro RJX and a cockpit in Monarch colour schemes at Manchester Airport. Anyone know anything about them?

Manchester airport is the worst airport we travelled through while on walkabout.  Surly staff, broken travelators and generally looking down at heel.

Time for some tea (skipped lunch following an excellent Singapore Airlines breakfast)

Baz

Evening all,

just had a round trip starting at Manchester airport and taking in Schiphol, Zurich and Geneva. Manchester definitely the least attractive. And when you get outside the litter. What must visitors think when the arrive?

Regards Robert

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is there something about the names of ship captains which has a sort of thread running through it.  March 2020 and Captain John Harry Smith is master of a cruise ship called, 'Grand Princess' (ugh) toddling about off the coast of California.  April 1912 and Captain Edward  John Smith was master of the RMS Titanic.  I trust things will turn out better for the passengers aboard the ship captained by the current John Smith.

I almost thought you might mention this particularly colourful Captain John Smith, one time governor of Virginia (1608 - 1609).

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Robert, bit just the litter.4 of the 8 travelators are out of service. E passport machines not available, miles from the gate to a toilet (which was smelly),....

Going out the border force are like the SS and do not know the law ..but seem to be smug in their work..

No one likes travelling through the place...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting decisions.  Some moments of sound play and a few rash moments which cost players their place on the field.  But in the end the right result on the day.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And we're back.  After a brief interlude which allowed me to enjoy dinner the server has been reprimanded.  Apparently it went into panic mode.  Needed more toilet paper, perhaps.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I did the weekly big Tesco shop this morning. Stock levels were generally good except that the pasta aisle was bare.....

Oh dear, it appears I have just cooked our last half packet of emergency rations for our evening meal.

Seriously though I have just been discussing with my sister if we should take mum and do a ‘big’ shop and let her stock up with things. As I’ve said before she is fiercely independent and most certainly wouldn’t let us do one for her.  Are we being sensible or just jumping on the panic bandwagon.  

Funnily enough, any advice issued would probably apply to us too.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The curve-ball is explained, its just an ordinary football with 'curve it' emblazoned on the box. One was duly purchased together with a few other items but they are staying in their boxes until the actual birthday on Tuesday. Well thats what his dad has said, we shall see. Afterwards we popped into Tess Coes for a few bits. I gave up counting after seeing six trolleys laden with toilet rolls. One not only toilet rolls but a dozen each of loaves of bread and bottles of water :D. Dinners ready, the microwave has just 'pinged', be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

38 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

This latest blip on the medical spectrum is not really something that affects the lower regions, but the chest and lungs.

Not that I'm advocating panic buying of TP but early reports said it did affect some in their nether regions.

Blip? - Hopefully that's all it will turn out to be but at the moment I don't think anyone really know. It's certainly highly contagious and seems to have a significant mortality rate among older types (like me!)

It's useful to remember that H1N1 took out many millions of people Worldwide - some estimates put the number as high as 100 million.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent rugby weather here today. It's about 4C and hissing from a great height. Shona is a not a happy camper Scottie.

But I'm ensconced in the shop and the wood stove is cranking out lotsawatts. I have 7 kW of electrical heating I can use but it has to run for ages to before the shop is comfortable. On the other hand once the wood stove gets up to full chat  the shop warms up PDQ. I estimate it must chuck out something like 25 kW.

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Funnily enough, any advice issued would probably apply to us too.

There was something I read advising that the elderly should be visited before they might need to self isolate. I asked Aditi if that was why we were being visited today. She is planning to visit MIL tomorrow. Aditi’s sister wanted MiL to have a few extra items of food in her flat just in case she can’t get over. MiL is insisting she can exist on rice and lentils if there is a problem. I think Aditi is supposed to persuade her Mum to not be difficult in Waitrose again.

I did look up to see if there was a definition of “elderly”. It began at 65 at one time but now it “depends”. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Robert, bit just the litter.4 of the 8 travelators are out of service. E passport machines not available, miles from the gate to a toilet (which was smelly),....

Going out the border force are like the SS and do not know the law ..but seem to be smug in their work..

No one likes travelling through the place...

Baz

When I go to Intermdelbau in Dortmund I fly from Leeds/Bradford. I don’t have to risk the traffic over Woodhead, APH Parking (our preferred supplier) is much closer and the whole thing is much more relaxed. Don’t know what I’m going to do this year. Not sure if exhibition will be on but I do know I won’t be flying Flybe. That’s another shame as I’ve always been happy with their service.

Now, cleanliness of trains..................

good night all

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 17

46 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

It is interesting that less than 5% of people die of old age in spite of the advances in medicine

What is ‘die of old age’ and does that appear on their death certificate ? 

Where did that stat come from?

regards Robert

• Agree 8