The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening all,

There's always some different 'take' on life and most of it (eventually) seems to arrive here!

10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Hopefully on my return I can sit at the dining room table and get a little bit done with the soldering iron.

Enjoy the day, back later. 

That's one heck of a way to cook your dinner! How many hours for a medium rare steak?

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's comments like this that remind me why I drink Irish fighting water.  (Guinness and Bushmills chasers.)

Come on; Bushmills Single Malt with Guinness chasers, surely?

54 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

That's just nuts!

Now, what did The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy have to say about nuts?

• Like 5
  • Funny 12

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Justin from BT Openreach wishing me a “Good Morning”. I am certain he was John earlier in the week. I very politely said that I didn’t think he was John or worked for BT. 

Someone who professed to be called "Ivan" called me to flog financial services. My guess would have been Rajiv, Ramesh or Jayaram.

A recorded message named "Angie" calls me almost every morning to talk about my warranty. (The car is now 16 years old.)

• Funny 17

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A recorded message named "Angie" calls me almost every morning to talk about my warranty. (The car is now 16 years old.)

I just had yet another call that comes up as "Taos" on the phone. Must have called at least twenty times now. I used to let it go to the answering machine but of course they never left a message. My new technique is to just pick up the phone and keep schtum. I can hear a lady saying "Hello" and "Can you hear me?" for a couple of minutes. Maybe she'll figure out I'm just wasting her time and give up. I suppose I could block the number but I'm interested to see if I can wear her down.

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

26 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Now, what did The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy have to say about nuts?

I don't know about cashews but "you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's but that's just peanuts to space" comes to mind.

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

My new technique is to just pick up the phone and keep schtum. I can hear a lady saying "Hello" and "Can you hear me?" for a couple of minutes.

I used to do that most of the time, but usually there is just silence followed by the line dropping. Most of the time I answer and the line drops - caused, I presume, by telemarketers having a barrage of autodiallers and can only take one of their outbound calls at a time.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Guaranteed to produce some excuse-me's ;)  Though I note the glass is branded for Doom Bar and the contents might, by the colour and head, indeed be the same.  Still an honorary Cornish ale even if 90% of it is brewed in Burton-on-Trent these days.  Only cask supplies to Cornish pubs still comes from Rock AFAIK and it does taste slightly different.  

The toilet paper shortage has arrived locally.  Waitrose was all out of the stuff but had placed kitchen roll at intervals along the empty shelves.  Perhaps there has been a sudden influx of Australians :jester:  

Ah ha. Doombar glass but London Pride contents. Please excuse any typos...I panic drank 3 pints.  

Meanwhile I've been explaining alternatives to toilet roll to the family. 

Which reminds me of when I was at Istanbul Tech University. In Chem. Eng. staff had their own loo, one key and one bog roll held centrally. So when we wanted to go you'd walk down the corridor past the students with the loo roll under your arm to the squatter. In Mech Eng it was more "Western". I've never understood why Chem. Engineers thought they were a cut above!  

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Big L made much more of an impression on the teenage Chris than Caroline.  I was extremely lucky to visit the MV Galaxy, three and a half miles off Frinton, on Saturday 20th May 1967.  There I met among others Tony Blackburn, Ed Stewart and Keith Skues.  John Peel was on shore leave but I met him on a subsequent occasion.  Imagine British radio without them.

Chris

That's interesting Chris - the evening before your trip The Beatles and a hole crowd of journos and photographers attended the 'Sgt.Pepper' launch party at Brian Epstein's Belgravia townhouse, I wonder if any mention of it was made by Big L that Saturday...?

PP 7d2130.jpg

PP thTU6XB2MO.jpg

PP 18.jpg

PP 5088_n.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I used to get calls about my car's EXTENDED WARRANTY (always highly emphasized, btw); I usually just set the phone down and let her (always a female voice) bloviate away. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 15

For a year, I lived just round the corner from the original Radio Scotland's headquarters in Hillhead. (The ship was anchored at various places round the coast.) We never thought to drop in. They regularly used to play this - https://youtu.be/EydGJmhadNo (check their broadcasting frequency). 

Incidentally, I liked the Byrds, but that track was a complete sellout!

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Still an honorary Cornish ale even if 90% of it is brewed in Burton-on-Trent these days.............and it does taste slightly different.

For slightly different; read *ffin awful.

Or at least that's my experience locally, maybe it tastes better further afield.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dry and sunny today so able to get a few things done, but nowhere near what I intended to do. Won't be doing much tomorrow, a young persons birthday coming up next Tuesday, he wants something called a 'curved ball'?? I suspect its a ball that veers off course if it is kicked or thrown, I'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

We could get Radio Luxembourg quite well in Paisley although it did fade in and out. The signal wasn't sent as the usual straight line transmission. It propagated through the ionosphere instead but that made it susceptible to a lot of variables. It's quite remarkable that it worked so well.

1500m LW was always a bit of a problem.  208m MW was better,  AFN was OK.  The Pirates were after my time.  Radio Eireaan played pop music now and again with commercials. 

Nobody has mentioned the radio series Paul Temple which had the music Coronation Scot as its intro.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I used to get calls about my car's EXTENDED WARRANTY

These calls have nothing to do with the original manufacturer's warranty. The script is something vague with an attempt to sound official.

Many years ago, (more than 30) I purchased a Chevrolet product. After the purchase I was invited by mail to further purchase a manufacturer's extended warranty, not from the dealership but directly from GM. It turned out to be the best investment I ever made. The number of repairs (including a repaint) repaid my investment several times over. Sadly the vehicle was totalled in a rear-end collision just shy of 100,000 miles. I actually loved the car.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

31 minutes ago, pH said:

If we're going to talk about Sunday radio programmes - who remembers "Life with the Lyons" and "Educating Archie"?

Wasn't Archie the only ventriloquist's dummy on radio?

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The BBC in the 1950s insisted that the presenters were married (to each other) and didn’t even broadcast from the same studio.

Times have changed! 

Same thing happened to our  Jag 3.8.  Virtually brand new when we bought it S/H from a dealer.  Bought the extended warranty ( under protest) but sure glad we did as it spent a lot of time in the shop.  Would have cost us $Ks, nice car though.  Still see them though so I reckon we were just unlucky!

Brian.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Never heard of it. A curve ball is a form of baseball pitch. Please let us know what it turns out to be.

I'm not sure myself what exactly it is, the lads description of what it is and what it does is a bit garbled, we'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Times have changed! 

Same thing happened to our  Jag 3.8.  Virtually brand new when we bought it S/H from a dealer.  Bought the extended warranty ( under protest) but sure glad we did as it spent a lot of time in the shop.  Would have cost us $Ks, nice car though.  Still see them though so I reckon we were just unlucky!

Brian.

At least it didn't go up in flames. Some Jags in the US had a reputation for doing that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Wasn't Archie the only ventriloquist's dummy on radio?

Yes it was. The ventriloquist Peter Brough was said to be so bad that he could only succeed on the radio.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8