The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I utterly and totally loathed the Sing Something Simple programme. 

I couldn't agree more.  If my memories are correct it was broadcast on a Sunday night before Top of the Pops. Our ministers son and I used to listen to TOTP's whilst our parents were at the chapel. The valve radio was turned on and we tried to record songs of TOTP.  Happy days but As the radio took time to warm up we always got the tail end of Sing Something Simple.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning each and every,

The sun, it shineth and doeth cast shadows upon much of the KZ estate. Rabbits are a-plenty, chomping at any succulent young grass but so far, the brass monkeys fear to put in an appearance as they are seemingly concerned about hanging onto their appendages.

Last night’s talk on winter wildlife was quite interesting. It was given by a female EasyJet pilot who is always rostered for extra flights during the summer period so takes her holidays in winter. She shared images of the sub-Arctic forests and plains and the creatures that inhabit them, including sections on Finland, Iceland, Yellowstone and Scotland. It was all very interesting and she is certainly very good at the art of capturing animal and bird life. That she then chose to give an environmentalist pitch didn’t sit well in my mind, given the amount of CO2 her job creates and which she then compounds by her choice to that in following her interests. 

Favourite Sunday lunchtime radio programmes had to include Beyond our Ken and Round the Horne. In third place sat The Navy Lark, well we had a larger Navy then which meant we frequently saw Grey Funnel Line vessels in and around Pompey, us being on that very nearby Channel Island at the time. Plumbing the depths of popularity in my mind were the programmes that were The Billy Cotton Band Show and those scheduled later including Sing Something Simple and that which may have spawned the present leader of the SNP: The Clitheroe Kid. Pick of the Pops with Alan Freeman was on the schedule for me as I was tasked with recording this on a Cossor reel-to-reel tape machine so we had muswick at the Youff Club later in the week.

And now for today. A further load of logs is due to be delivered this morning. Once stacked in the log store, I shall wander off to a local hostelry to natter and photograph some old men drinking beer and posing as cribbage players. It has been decreed that we shall visit the food side of a retail partnership whose staff are getting nothing like the bonus this year that they have enjoyed in previous years. The next update in our endless spiral towards Corvid-geddon will no doubt be relayed to me by Sybil Fawlty SWMBO as she listens to and watches the world according to daytime news tv shows.

Am I ready to take on the challenge of this day? No, but I suppose one must. Be good, be careful and (on behalf of our intrepid aviator travelling up from Sidney to Sinkers) seize it.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I couldn't agree more.  If my memories are correct it was broadcast on a Sunday night before Top of the Pops. Our ministers son and I used to listen to TOTP's whilst our parents were at the chapel. The valve radio was turned on and we tried to record songs of TOTP.  Happy days but As the radio took time to warm up we always got the tail end of Sing Something Simple.

Jamie

Wasn't TOTP on telly on Thursdays? are you thinking of Pick of the Pops with Alan "Fluff" Freeman?

If my memory serves me right(which isn't that often these days lol) the question to follow " put the cat out" was "Why" and the reply was "because it's on fire"...…………….

I have a vinyl record of a couple of Goon shows, one side is "Insurance, the white mans burden" quite prophetic...………………..

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a sunny, but frosty start to the day, but there is a slight possibility of some rain later. I will shortly be heading off to complete the Asda and Trafford Centre Grand Prix, my return journey will take me to the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner. Last night Sheila expressed a wish to accompany me on this sojourn, but as she is still in the pit bed, I suspect she’ll now not bother. 

Hopefully on my return I can sit at the dining room table and get a little bit done with the soldering iron.

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Wasn't TOTP on telly on Thursdays? are you thinking of Pick of the Pops with Alan "Fluff" Freeman?

I don’t remember what it was called but the top twenty were played on Radio 2 on a Sunday night after Sing Something Simple. 
It may even have been the release of the ‘new’ chart for that week. Not sure about that though.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Lantavian said:

"Two-Way Family Favourites" sounds like a bizarre sexual practice.

The BBC in the 1950s insisted that the presenters were married (to each other) and didn’t even broadcast from the same studio.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No ones mentioned Radio Luxembourg yet. I suppose its because it was almost impossible to listen too let alone record anything off of it. The signal used to go up and down like a yoyo, one minute blasting away and the next barely audible. What finally finished it off was the pirate stations. Living in Estuary-Land at one time we had a choice of Radio Caroline, Radio Essex and several more stations to listen too. Some of those other stations were a bit dodgey to say the least. They were probably more of a danger to themselves rather than other shipping with several sinkings fortunately with no fatalities. ChrisF, theres a bit about the Navy Lark here.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Navy_Lark

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I thought that was the resistance he was measuring.

since I don't have a test tank I have to calculate hull resistance not measure it,,,

basics-ofshipresistance-11-728[1].jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

How far is it to the pyramid Bloodnock?

Roughly twenty miles.

How far is it exactly?

Exactly it's twenty three miles.

Right, we'll go roughly - it's three miles nearer.

That sounds like the briefing for a deliberate fire mission, courtesy of the Royal Regiment of Artillery!

For those interested in military, both the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery share a common motto.

Ubique

In the case of the RE it means:

Everywhere

But the RA?

All over the effing place!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

since I don't have a test tank I have to calculate hull resistance not measure it,,,

basics-ofshipresistance-11-728[1].jpg

should I admit thats all written into a computer programme I now have so you plug in the basic dimensions and it works it all out it's self (doesn't do keels though).

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 45568 said:

I remember when colour TV was first widely available in the UK, (1967??), 

Not in the hebridies it wasn't, colour TV didn't arrive there until the Early 1980s.

in Deepest Wiltshire non of the pirate chanels was available and as mentioned LUxembourg used to fade in and out.. I think we lived in a radio black hole..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

We will soon be setting off for the wilds of sunny wet and windy Wales (the conditions not actually caused by the Muddy Hollow gang though it's tempting to think so)

It's comments like this that remind me why I drink Irish fighting water.  (Guinness and Bushmills chasers.)

That'll put the wind up most people!

But a word to the wise:

Remember where you are on Saturday when you are watching the Rugby

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4