The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

GDB, I hope that the relevant Elf and safety precautions have been taken before you start assembling  the desk.

Jamie

He'll be arreet, man . . . . . he knaas where EnR is . .

Morning world. it's sunny on the Costa and i have A diabatetic eye appointment. Am I worried?

Serpently knot.

have a good day all

John

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report, things to do so be back later.

6 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Many thanks for your concerns regarding my elf n safety and I'm glad to report that no injuries or mishaps have befallen me. Unlike the desk.  This is primarily because when I started to unpack the bloody thing I found 3 pieces to be damaged.  :banghead:

It has been returned from whence it came and a replacement has been ordered. If this one is damaged they will be told where to shove it.

F.L. Atpackbuilder

What are the dimensions of the pack? (in case you need some help.:jester:)

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What are the dimensions of the pack? (in case you need some help.:jester:)

80cmx44cmx10cm and weighs about 15kg  If it does need shoving where I suggest I suspect it might  smart a bit!  :o

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

80cmx44cmx10cm and weighs about 15kg  If it does need shoving where I suggest I suspect it might  smart a bit!  :o

It will certainly make their eyes water.:blink:

• Agree 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I can remember pubs having “off sales “ of beer in a jug the customer brought. I didn’t partake but does this still happen anywhere?

I too remember that, the Woolpack in Romford still sold beer like that until the early 70's. Weights and measures legislation killed the practice off. They continued by offering measurable containers of plastic with screw lids but party cans killed it off altogether. The Woolpack is still there (its a listed building) but has now been converted into flats. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There were loads of small one room pubs and similar shops in the Potteries towns when I lived near there at Keele for a year (74-75). My friend seemed to know (and be known in) all of them. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Oddly on another forum (yes they do exist) at this moment is a discussion of missing pubs on the Norfolk Broads.

My house is partly on the foundations of one, closed in the 1880s.

Another is the Chequers house..  http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/Chequers.htm?LMCL=OD9QFr in Horning

Though more recently also in Horning the Black Horse pub closed about 20 years also the Half Moon closed in 1960, the Petersfield Hotel closed about 10 years ago. This leaves Three pubs all tenanted, one of which  is closed at the moment but supposed to reopen by Easter..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I can remember pubs having “off sales “ of beer in a jug the customer brought. I didn’t partake but does this still happen anywhere?

Yes yes, a thousand times yes. The vast majority of micro-pubs sell takeaway. Most are in plastic 2 or 4 pint jugs. Other places have “growler fills” which allows one to have what ever they want filled as long as they can accurately measure what is being sold. Unlike the US growlers haven’t taken off as much but micros rule for draught off sales. 

Lurker, technically you have 4 micros. Hopper’s Hut by Waitrose, Hackney Carriage closer to the station (and Invicta models), The Hanger at the oval, and Half Way which is really closer to Eltham but still in a Sidcup post code. The Hanger, it’s carbon copy the Bolthole, and the soon to open in Welling, the Hanger II, are less traditional micro-pubs and more like micro-spoons bars. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Greetings one and all.  

* That might have been a Freudian slip - neither single nor double but three-way - to avoid a painful awling.  I have yet to encounter a beer glass with three individual outlets :jester: 

1157143_1_l[1].jpg

• Like 17
  • Funny 2