The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Actually probably more than a thousand years. Aditi’s Dad was sometimes known to complain about how Alexander the Great’s troops had affected the sub continent. 

• Like 11
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Yes gone for a burton is definitely not connected to the tailoring empire. That one is a "Full Monty" as in a full suit, tie, shirt etc from one of Montague Burton's shops.  As to words from the sub continent in English usage, therecare quite a few. Wallah was a regular in our home, char for tea and I believe bungalow also came from India.  The one we were talking about a few days ago was 'going doolalli or dollalli tap'  I believe that relates to a group of army officers who went bonkers after drinking from an infected tap when stationed at Doolalli.  My maternal grandfather worked in India for many years and my mother and many of her sisters were born there so quite a few Hindi words were in use at home.  We also gad home made curries on a regular basis.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

char for tea

In Hindi “char” is four, probably most used in charpoy , a bed with four legs allegedly. How the chaiwallah became char wallah is probably due to European interpretation. Chai blends are now sold in Waitrose. Indian English has many loan words that are no longer used in British English, or used differently. Aditi’s cousin told me he had “fired someone”. This wasn’t an employee, it was someone he had been angry with. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip... That one is a "Full Monty" as in a full suit, tie, shirt etc from one of Montague Burton's shops. ...snip... Jamie

I had heard the the phrase "Full Monty (or maybe Monti)" used in reference to something in a card game, although I do not remember which game.

• Informative/Useful 7

6 hours ago, Kingzance said:

In my book, you can’t beat fresh basil, chives, coriander and parsley in dishes and as a garnish. 

Yeuch, blech, pitoowy! Hate the stuff. Tastes like soap infused with stale perfume.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yeuch, blech, pitoowy! Hate the stuff. Tastes like soap infused with stale perfume.

Wikipedia mentions this that for some people the lemony taste is identified as soap. A specific gene it would seem. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Wikipedia mentions this that for some people the lemony taste is identified as soap. A specific gene it would seem. 

Quite a lot of us experience it. It's a bit like the gene that lets you curl up you tongue to form a sort of tube. Some can and others have no idea what I'm talking about  ;)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Quite a lot of us experience it. It's a bit like the gene that lets you curl up you tongue to form a sort of tube. Some can and others have no idea what I'm talking about  ;)

Also durian fruit. They smell and taste vile to some people and not at all to others. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Here's a nice list of quite a few of the words English has borrowed from India.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/have-a-dekko.html

Also "veranda(h)" which a bungalow traditionally had.

... early 18th century: from Hindi varaṇḍā, from Portuguese varanda ‘railing, balustrade’.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No bread pudding in Tess Coes today but I am reliably informed that there will be some available tomorrow or Wednesday. A brief history of Deolali here >>

https://www.gaebler.info/2013/04/the-madness-at-deolali/

My dad was in the XIVth Army and passed through there on his way to Burma and back again.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

Interesting conversation around idiomatic expressions.

"Gone for a Burton" never made it into use in Australia (as far as I know) and certainly not in the US.  "The Full Monty" became familiar through the movie, but not before then. Nor has "Doolally / doolali" made the move, though I note with curiosity that doolally passes the US spell check embedded in Chrome on Windows so the lexicographers have gobbled it up.

Plenty of Royal Navy expressions are of course mainstream outside the UK, but not "two, six, heave". The Wikipedia page for this expression does not really add clarity but does include an interesting footnote for "toot sweet" not that people appear to use this very often.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not much to report, so just goodnight.

I realise my 'goodnights' are often quite early, but so is work tomorrow. :)

Also, I might forget if I leave it later :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Not much to report, so just goodnight.

I realise my 'goodnights' are often quite early, but so is work tomorrow. :)

Also, I might forget if I leave it later :D

I am not staying up too late tonight. If I want breakfast tomorrow it has to be at about 5am. I do get a chance to have a snack after being injected with thallium compounds and before having my gamma photograph and ct scan. It is the cheese sandwich and sausage roll snack which seemed to work last time. One patient got sent away to eat more while I was waiting. Aditi has made a sandwich to take too. Watching me eat mine last time made her feel hungry. 
We had a couple of interesting chats today with young people.  Nephew Paul submitted his PhD thesis and was chatting about job offers and also how the Coronavirus is being managed where he lives in Germany. The other online chat was with one of Matthew’s friends (lots of them still contact us) . He was going to China by rail across Russia soon but it looks as if he may have to terminate in Mongolia now. 

Tony

• Like 18