The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

I believe the numbers called were "two six"

Often used when lifting something as a Team (source:  my old ex-Armourer buddy - we often used to use it at work.) Use it now and all these grad. types look very confused.  Mind you, that's often the case anyway....

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit dull and dismal here.

Some domestic stuff to do first and after that I know not what.

Have a good one,

Bob.

P.S. Been using "Gone for a Burton" since I was kid. Probably picked up from living next door to RAF Brampton for about 5 or 6 years and going to school with many kids from there.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, brianusa said:

"Goes for a Burton"

Does anyone use that phrase anymore?  I picked it up amongst others from my Dad who was in the RAF but that was a long time ago!:blush:

Brian.

All the time, though my wife the lexicographer has it marked up as "old fash." It's a standard north Birmingham expression that I assume I picked up from my parents. I've always understood it to mean "kaput", with the root cause of lack of functionality in the item or person being that they'd knocked off early to go down the pub.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The 'Gone for a Burton' origin I was told in the RAF of the 1960s was that it derived from a pre-war Burton's beer ad in which someone was missing because he had gone for a beer. Since I believe it was around during the Battle of Britain I don't think it could have been to do with Burtons the tailors demob suits. The expression, 'Two, six, heave!' I understand originally to have been a Royal Navy chant when pulling up sails or other things involving heaving on ropes. Why those particular numbers, though, I have no idea.

A bright and sunny start to the week here in the North Salopshire borderlands but it won't last - I'm taking Jill to an hotel in mid Wales for a couple of nights on Friday for her birthday and the weather is traditionally atrocious then.

Have a good week people.

Dave

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

A bit dull and dismal here.

Some domestic stuff to do first and after that I know not what.

Have a good one,

Bob.

P.S. Been using "Gone for a Burton" since I was kid. Probably picked up from living next door to RAF Brampton for about 5 or 6 years and going to school with many kids from there.

I often used to go for a Burton, Youngs Winter Warmer was a Burton style ale. Totally ruined when brewing was moved fom Wandsworth to Bedford and it soon disappeared from pubs that we used to drink in.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Dave - that reminds me of a visit to Cranwell in connection with the external accreditation of the WSOp course for weapons systems operators, rotary crew, loadmasters etc. We were given a copy of a training manual for evaluation and I'll never forget the first instruction - "Identify the On/Off switch and turn to On position'. Not quite the Level 4 University level training we were expecting !!

Mike

Reminds me of some of the questions in the Irish*airline pilots' exam:

1. What is the best operating position for the ON/OFF switch?

2. Name the airport on the banks of the River Shannon. Is it a. Heathrow b. Orly c. Shannon?

3. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. On your paper draw the shortest track from point A to point B.

4. What is the required position for the undercarriage UP - DOWN selector prior to landing?

*With apologies to Irish people - insert an alternative as you wish. 

And happy birthday Ian.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Old age and forgetfulness
  • Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The 'Gone for a Burton' origin I was told in the RAF of the 1960s was that it derived from a pre-war Burton's beer ad in which someone was missing because he had gone for a beer. Since I believe it was around during the Battle of Britain I don't think it could have been to do with Burtons the tailors demob suits. The expression, 'Two, six, heave!' I understand originally to have been a Royal Navy chant when pulling up sails or other things involving heaving on ropes. Why those particular numbers, though, I have no idea.

A bright and sunny start to the week here in the North Salopshire borderlands but it won't last - I'm taking Jill to an hotel in mid Wales for a couple of nights on Friday for her birthday and the weather is traditionally atrocious then.

Have a good week people.

Dave

IIRC they are members of the muzzle loading gun crew  I think responsible running the gun out after loading. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Ian - couldn't agree more - Winter Warmer was an utterly superb been when brewed in Wandsworth - I used to go into the Dog and Bull in Surrey Street, as soon as the word got round that it was available, and have a few.

There was an old boy used to sit at the corner of the bar, who used to complain every year that "It's not as good as last years" - but then Youngs beer was never good after Wandsworth closed - the merger with Wells was a disaster for BOTH brews, and where I used to like all Youngs and Wells beers, I would now walk a mile to avoid them - the Special which used to be very bitter, became sweeter and thinner, and at that stage, I walked away,

I went in the Dog and Bull recently. Much the same inside ad outside as it has been for as long as i have known it but the ale range is very bland hence we go in the Green Dragon at the South end of Surrey Street (used to be Hogoblin and a bank before that). They recently had a Tiny Rebel tap take over. One of the best pubs in the area but can get noisy later in the evenings when they crank up the music.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

I believe the numbers called were "two six"

Some other words from my dad's RAF vocabulary...

Gone for the chop

Leave it on safe

imshy. ..imshy.. tomorrow or sometime....

As you can tell he spent a lot of time in the middle east.

Baz

Many thanks, later ER discussions and Google results tend to confirm.  It must have come via the RNAS.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a wet underfoot NEHerts,

Happy birthday Mr Abel.

Other matters arising: ribs and shoulder prevented decent rest, I expect I shall nod off later if I can remain in a comfortable position. Weekly weigh-in indicates a continued downward trend that is not too rapid - I am getting to a point where I no longer crave food for its own sake. The chariot needs washing and cleaning, I may be supporting Eastern European economies later. I shall need to make some vegetable broth as home-made soups (with only the natural sugars and preservatives) seem to be helping in my goal to shed two and a half stone by June.

I bought some herb seeds yesterday and these will have a first sowing in fibre pots today so they can get a decent start. In my book, you can’t beat fresh basil, chives, coriander and parsley in dishes and as a garnish. Later, the annual battle between KZ and the birds / insects will recommence if I wish to be successful when the seedlings are planted out. I also need to think about how I am to grow runner beans this year as last year’s pot-grown experiment was less than successful.

My youngest grandson Max has his his 10th birthday on Friday and “we” need to get him a gift. As he lost his golf putter a couple of years back due to his own carelessness, that may be an easy solution.

Time to Carpe another muggercoffee, best to all....

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm taking Jill to an hotel in mid Wales for a couple of nights on Friday for her birthday and the weather is traditionally atrocious then.

How does that work?

Driving over to Mid Wales on Friday, and then up early for a sprint over to Kettering on the Saturday morning for the GOG spring meeting.

Then back to collect Jill from which ever Gemini inflatable she's been bobbing around in.

To get away with that means you must be smoother than a baby's bum.

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

Greetings from LBG where I can still see some blue sky between the grey clouds.

The weekend did not go as planned. Mrs Lurker came down with stomach cramps and was very sick on Saturday afternoon, and spent most of yesterday recovering. This led to me being in charge on the catering front. Food was still consumed so I assume it remained of a suitable standard.

This morning the shower has given up the ghost. The shower company no longer make spare part/come out to look at that particular type of shower; it's long out of its guarantee period; so we will need a new one. In the meanwhile we will have to make do with baths.

Gone for a burton is a phrase I use occasionally. I have also come across having a shufti - my Dad used it quite a bit, along with having a decker (sp?), which meant the same.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t been to Wales for years now. As a child it was the preferred family holiday destination until “it got too crowded” (my Mother’s quote). I am certain the last time was a day trip to Swansea to visit the university geography department when Matthew was applying. Even after he turned down their offer of a place they kindly kept writing telling him to contact them if he changed his mind. 
 Nowadays we are more likely to be in the neighbourhood of Kettering as the tiny nieces live near there.  

• Like 19

Gone for a Burton was usually used, by my Grandmother at least, around our parts to indicate that something had gone awry and that subsequent events were likely to suffer.

e.g. 'Any chance of getting that train's gone for a Burton if this bloomin bus doesn't turn up soon.

(belated) Mornin' all. :)

• Like 18