The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

evening awl, 

Just back from the MRC,  where everything I planned to do was done.. 

It was chuckinitdarn on the way there as it had been doing most of the day,  on the way back it subsided to a mere drizzle..

For some reason my back has been playing up today,  pink pills have been taken.. 

Tomorrow will include fitting a RCD to the garage supplies,  and a plug to the new distilled water maker.  Where as the old one looked like a large thermos with fan in the top,  this one looks distinctly industrial,  pipes, taps  and a drip outlet into a hopper.. 

Time to eat some cheese and biccies with my choccy.. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

On a computer - no way of catching up so many pages so congratulations and condolences as needed.  Have missed the use of a computer and likely to be a similar feeling in the near future. SWMBO says that I should buy a new one ... we will see but all I hear about PCs is not good and Macs are expensive ... would really interfere with a well know activity of those who use this site.

Skimming through I saw some mention of adverts on this site ... I hadn't even noticed that we had them but on looking yes adverts do appear.  Like the idea of 'Gold' but much prefer to read things in print rather than screen ... its also much easier to go back to check and then return directly to the correct page and of course reliable computer and something called 'bandwidth?'.  Apple seems to think that I am at least two major OS behind as my machine cannot update them and as for updating MS Office for Mac ... why do we have less availability and greater cost ... but my version cannot be updated because of my old Mac OS.

Latest versions of Mac’s equivalent of Word, Excel and PowerPoint will open docs in those formats and will export them in the Microsoft format too Peter. I was running Office for Mac 2013 but that doesn’t work on a 64-bit platform and I won’t pay Microsoft more for something I rarely use and can work around. My MacBook Pro is late 2013 and bought as an Apple Refurb unit but is well spec’d and has served me very well - I hope that saying so hasn’t jinxed it! I am a convert from PCs, wouldn’t go back to any form of Windows now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Tillamook air museum is well worth a visit. This was taken inside the hangar back in 2013.

It was a bit sparse this time. Neither of those Naval aircraft were there. Is that a Lockeed PV-1 Ventura / PV-2 Harpoon in the foreground? I'm struggling to see details on the blue fighter in the distance. F4F or F6F maybe?

I last visited Tillamook many years ago and it was really excellent. This time, not so exciting for the collection of older aeroplanes, unless you like MIG-17s. There were two.

mig17-319.PNG.fb6a0fcb84266513a9b0a7bf76c77a2d.PNG

mig17_1426.PNG.a2ee704d62f1f7fb334a14f28456b048.PNG

There was a very beat up collection of larger aircraft including an F14-Tomcat, A7-Corsair along with a C27 Spartan cargo 'plane. A Naval Air Station seemed like a good place for the retired Navy jets.

It's worth a visit for the historical perspective but the collection seems to vary a lot.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

From experience, get yourself down to Boots (other suppliers may be available) and purchase a bottle of Geremolene New Skin Liquid Plaster. Just paint it onto a (preferably moist) wound and (at least for me) will reduce any scarring and form a good seal to the outside world.

Superglue was available - but declined

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Its a great view at Cape Kiwanda, Haystack rock is good too.

From that angle, we might have stayed in the same room. Cape Kiwanda is my happy place on the coast. (It's one of several, but we could call it the "happiest".) I've been going there since 2001.

Your view is remarkable for the absence of cars in the car park - even at that early hour, there's usually some surfers. Winter storm surf has been fierce this year and there is a lot of beach erosion. The vehicle ramp to the beach was closed. (Earlier in the season and further north a father, son and daughter were swept out to sea by a sneaker wave. The little girl died and her little brother was not recovered.)

Some time back there was a conversation about barrel aged beers. Here is an example through the front window of the Pelican brewery at the Pub.

cadus.PNG.0d8fba5f7392dcd8e4c14a3d9a75b1ca.PNG

The observant can tell that these are French (oak) casks, I'm presuming they previously aged Pinot Noir. Noting the fill date of February 4, 2020, I asked about them but was told they were empty and the beer, now sold out, turned out (somewhat unsuccessfully I suspect) as a gose after aging for two years. Wires may have been crossed in this conversation.

I did bring home a couple of bottles of their "Father of Tsunamis", bourbon barrel aged stout. (I did not rave about the tequila barrel-aged, cream ale on tap, but the rye stout "Cape Crasher" was excellent.) 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The rain lasted for most of the day, only stopping an hour or so after the sun went down!

As I anticipated, this morning’s Trafford Centre Grand Prix didn’t take long, I left home just after 10 o’clock and was back for just after 11:15 and that included calling in at the butchers! Once home and the shopping was packed away, I made myself a muggertea and set up the old laptop and amended the circuit diagrams to match those of the circuit boards that had been built. 

James and Amelia came round for tea, a nice change as they haven’t been able to make it for the last few weeks due to other commitments. As usual, we sat and chatted after tea, generally about nothing in particular, but it always ends up about their 2 dogs.

Once they’d gone home, we had a quick tidy up and then sat down and opened a bottle of Malbec, that really hit the spot.

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

We've had nice early spring-like weather for the last couple of days with temperatures flirting with 15°C.  (Not coincidentally why I planned a quick visit to the coast.)

Despite the marine fog at the coast this morning, the valley was sunny when I returned home. On the way home I saw a gent stopped at a light in an immaculate Jaguar (XK140 or XK150) roadster in British racing green. It looked stupendous in the bright sunlight. While it was a nice day for open cockpit motoring earlier, the forecast clouds have now arrived. It should rain tonight.

My high school chemistry teacher had a maroon MG A roadster.  We teenaged pupils drooled over it. By the 1970s such vehicles were already uncommon, but not particularly rare. I don't see them on the road very often now.

• Like 17

On 27/02/2020 at 08:20, The Stationmaster said:

However things are clearly getting bad in respect of the coronavirus round here as can be judged from Tesco's action - seen in the photo below - to reassure customers and help trade along.  Whether it will work is another matter because the stack had not diminlshed between my two visits.

It may not be coincidental that the Corona Extra was on sale at Tesco's. 

Sales are flagging. (Though the hard charge of hard seltzer into the US fizzy boozy water market probably has a lot more to do with that.) 

A late night comic recently trawled up the old saw about such beverages:

Q: Why is <insert your light alcoholic beverage here> like making love in a canoe?

A: They're both f'ing close to water.

Ironically in at least two Corona TV commercials, they are using its transparency as a selling feature - placing a bottle over a light source (a smart 'phone in one) for mood lighting. Personally I prefer to drink beer. Transparency is not what I look for in a beer.

• Like 19

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Think of it as a land bound aircraft carrier.

HMS Sanderling was one of them. I remember seeing quite a few planes with foldy-up wings there. It's now Glasgow Airport.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It was a bit sparse this time. Neither of those Naval aircraft were there. Is that a Lockeed PV-1 Ventura / PV-2 Harpoon in the foreground? I'm struggling to see details on the blue fighter in the distance. F4F or F6F maybe?

I last visited Tillamook many years ago and it was really excellent. This time, not so exciting for the collection of older aeroplanes, unless you like MIG-17s. There were two.

mig17-319.PNG.fb6a0fcb84266513a9b0a7bf76c77a2d.PNG

mig17_1426.PNG.a2ee704d62f1f7fb334a14f28456b048.PNG

There was a very beat up collection of larger aircraft including an F14-Tomcat, A7-Corsair along with a C27 Spartan cargo 'plane. A Naval Air Station seemed like a good place for the retired Navy jets.

It's worth a visit for the historical perspective but the collection seems to vary a lot.

Mig 319 was there in 2013.

This Tomcat was in good condition.

TillamookAirMuseumOR2013_(31).JPG.8c45cece7011d42964b1e019f88ab550.JPG

And this  was outside in use on the day.

TillamookAirMuseumOR2013_(6).JPG.37237737e2a0d22a53c569be45828a74.JPG

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Mig 319 was there in 2013.

This Tomcat was in good condition.

The Douglas Dauntless was not there yesterday.

I didn't photograph the F14 up close. It is visible to the left of the image below. It didn't look as nice as in your image. The doors at both ends of the hangar were closed and it was pretty dark inside. Thanks to the low light capabilities of my 'phone camera, the image looks better than it did to my eyes.

1330112207_NASTillamook.PNG.3175dd7b60ebec18372963c7693d35e0.PNG

Were the north end doors open during your visit? It looks like they have turned the F14 around since your photo. The museum entrance is on the left hand side of the image above.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 19

The State of Oregon announced a presumptive local case of COVID-19 and is considered to be a community transmission. An additional test by the Centers for Disease Control will confirm whether this case is indeed COVID-19. 

While privacy laws restrict more information, this person lives in my county and has had extensive interaction with a local elementary school.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Douglas Dauntless was not there yesterday.

I didn't photograph the F14 up close. It is visible to the left of the image below. It didn't look as nice as in your image. The doors at both ends of the hangar were closed and it was pretty dark inside. Thanks to the low light capabilities of my 'phone camera, the image looks better than it did to my eyes.

1330112207_NASTillamook.PNG.3175dd7b60ebec18372963c7693d35e0.PNG

Were the north end doors open during your visit? It looks like they have turned the F14 around since your photo. The museum entrance is on the left hand side of the image above.

They had the doors open. Looks quite a bit emptier than when we were in there.

The lightning had its own hangar and full workshop of its own.

TillamookAirMuseumOR2013_(13).JPG

TillamookAirMuseumOR2013_(9).JPG

• Like 19

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

The lightning had its own hangar and full workshop of its own.

No Lightning either. According to Wikipedia the P-38L Tangerine is now in Madras.

44-27083 Tangerine – based at Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras, Oregon

Current roster is listed on the website.

I should look for my photos from years ago.

My way home passed the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville.  Evergreen is home to the Spruce Goose and a large collection - much bigger than the last time I visited. Back then they had a B17 parked under the tail of the Spruce Goose. (It fit there.) There are 50's jets out front that I don't think were there last time.

I was tempted to stop in but wanted to press on home. I think I will head out there next week.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

Apparently, this image:

Corona.jpg.61ba7ec162bee8bedc9f938191b95c7c.jpg

has gone viral on farcebuk.

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Superglue was available - but declined

I'm of the understanding that this is the sort of thing for which superglue was invented - a method of repairing a 'small' wound without resorting to stitches.

• Like 8
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1