The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a rummage in the bent and battered boxes at Tess Coes today and came away with a couple of pens and a roll of selotape all at less than half price. Also the other day I came across a 4 pack of LED bulbs with one missing at a quarter of the price. Today I found an identical bulb also at a knockdown price because of the sllghtly damaged box so thats made up the 4 pack. 

2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I was going to read up and post but the cry has gone up "PUTTHEKETTLEON!!!"  ........  Exits that-a-way ----> 

Teas made here so all I need to do is drink it.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Lantavian said:

A Naval Air Station sounds a bit weird

Tillamook Naval Air Station operated dirigibles (the K-class blimp) for anti-submarine warfare during WWII. It covered the entrances to ports in the Northwest, primarily the Columbia River and the Strait of Juan De Fuca.

In Britain the RAF operated the land-based marine patrol aircraft, but it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to think of the Fleet Air Arm managing this function.

The USN still manages the maritime patrol mission, today using the P-8 Poseidon aircraft. Service rivalries are as old as military organizations. The USAF was not formed until 1947. Prior to that the US Army Air Corps (later US Army Air Forces) were not focused on maritime activities - that was a navy job. Naval Air Stations still exist as do Marine Corps Air Stations though there have been a huge number of base realignments since the end of the cold war, most of them in the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure process. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

We didn't see the Tillamook naval station, or the cheese factory, on  our trip down the Oregon coast, but we did turn off 101 to do the Three Capes Scenic route - advertised as a loop but actually part closed off due to subsidence, rock falls.

The picture is of Cape Meares

I am still ensconced with a view of the southernmost of the Three Capes - Cape Kiwanda. After two bright sunny days, today sees a heavy marine layer. A storm system is moving in. I will drive home in a couple of hours.

I drove up the Three Capes drive yesterday (the potholes traversing Cape Lookout are still bad) with a view to stopping at Cape Meares. I abandoned that idea when I could see a band of heavy fog sitting on the cape and went directly to the Air Museum. Cape Meares was named Cape Lookout by British fur trader John Meares in 1788 (who was off the coast between visits by Cook and Vancouver). Unfortunately official 1850 / 1853 charts got confused and the Cape Lookout name got attached to the cape to the south.  To avoid further confusion in subsequent charts, John Meares' name was attached to the northerly cape.

Since I was last in Tillamook, the Cheese Factory has opened their new visitor centre. So I had to go and get some ice cream.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Simon G said:

My Dell desktop does that quite frequently.  It still runs on Win 7, and with all the Windows bloatware, it is very slow in booting too.  Registry cleaning helps, but not much.

Try Ubuntu Linux instead. Whilst there are updates as necessary, they usually do not require a reboot and when they do, it usually takes between 1 and 2 minutes if you're unlucky.

Go to your local newsagent and locate the magazine 'Linux Format'. Each issue comes with a DVD which contains at least one flavour of Linux that you can boot from without damaging the contents of your main discs so you can try it out before committing to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Chuckinitdarn here..but boy do they need it.

Staying in peikakariki itself. Been to Rotorua before..no plans to return this year. 

Time to finish my mugacaff, have a shower and some breakfast.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It wasn't too painful until I ran it under the tap to clean it . 

One of those moments when the phrase "this may sting a bit" was understated.

It's well on the way to mending but I'm sure there will be a good scar.

From experience, get yourself down to Boots (other suppliers may be available) and purchase a bottle of Geremolene New Skin Liquid Plaster. Just paint it onto a (preferably moist) wound and (at least for me) will reduce any scarring and form a good seal to the outside world.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Lantavian said:

A Naval Air Station sounds a bit weird, when you think about it. So having locos as well seems quite normal.

Not to me, I was stationed at several, including a floating one. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Lantavian said:

A Naval Air Station sounds a bit weird, when you think about it. So having locos as well seems quite normal.

HMS Daedalus, RNAS Hunterford, RNAS Yeovilton to name but a few!

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4