The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

19 hours ago, AndyID said:

Very pleasant here today. So pleasant in fact that I took the wee car for a bit of a spin -  just to exercise the oil seals and bearings, and prevent flats forming in the tires, you understand.

While I was gone Fed-Ex delivered some op-amps I had ordered. These ones are a bit unusual and (in theory) they should let me test a "current rather than voltage" controller idea.

It's all very odd. The controller only controls the current supplied to the track. The "locomotive" senses the current and uses it to determine what voltage to apply to the loco's motor.

The whole thing is probably nonsense but there are a few reasons why you might want to do something like that. There are probably a lot more reasons why you wouldn't want to bother, but what the heck!

We have the same problem; my car is not used much as we tend to use my wife's car more, so the battery goes flat!  I keep a charger handy but as Andy mentions, there are other things to consider.

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

10 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Last year my license was about to expire and South Carolina sent me a postcard stating that it was and I could click on a certain link to see if I qualified for the Real ID. I did and I did; a few mouse clicks and a credit card payment later I had the ID; a few days later it arrived via the US Post Office. So now my license has the little gold star! :biggrin_mini:

A serious question - if a person gets a driving ban, does that mean they can no longer fly? Or does the invalid licence still qualify as an ID?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Last time (last year) we flew into Southend from Dublin, instead of just walking off the plane through the CTA Marked door in the terminal there were quite a few Border Agency staff not in their cubicles but blocking the doorway. Everyone had to show ID. You don’t need a passport for this flight but you do have to have appropriate photo ID to have got on the plane. Single travellers with no passport, usually photo driving licence seemed to be getting questioned. 
Tony

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, pH said:

A serious question - if a person gets a driving ban, does that mean they can no longer fly? Or does the invalid licence still qualify as an ID?

I really have no idea but I suspect that it is still valid as an ID.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Simon G said:

s.  Let’s see if they turn up this time.  It is at times like this that I really wish my feet were a more normal size!

My feet are not a particularly unusual size but I had the same problem last year. Ordered the boots online, in stock and then they were cancelled due to being out of stock. Ordered online instead from Go Outdoors for store collection next day and told the price had also gone down when I collected them. The original trader took a week to refund my payment too.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A battleship? Do please let us know which one. From the Wikipedia list there didn't seem to be anything rated as a "battleship".

The famousest one is actually HMB Endeavour, a former Whitby collier, the Earl of Pembroke, and ultimately deliberately scuttled in Narragansett Bay (as Lord Sandwich in private ownership) during the American Revolutionary War to protect Newport from Charles Henri Hector, le compte d'Estaing's squadron.

I got it wrong, the speaker was ex RN so I assumed that the vessel in question was also ex RN. The Endeavour in question turned out to be a Leigh cockle boat. Not any old Leigh cockle boat but this was the first one to be fitted with an engine from new in 1924 and was one of the Dunkirk 'little ships'. That it survives to the present day is remarkable especialy as it is largely constructed of wood.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Which bunch of knuckle-dragging cretins came up with this total borlocks?

Congress, sponsored by F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. Wisconsin 5th (Rep). Enforced by the Department of Homeland Security / Transportation Security Administration.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

I just love that they print a "do not drive/do not operate machinery" warning on the label for Calpol for kids......

There are plenty of adults who should have that printed on their foreheads.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 17