The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've always thought that eating a pancake was the nearest thing to chewing through a used french letter.

I enjoy the former.  I have never attempted the latter.  I am not in a position to offer informed opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 10

Pah. :jester:

Missed posting yesterday, as the times I tried, the forum update was in progress :(

HUMP day and also Ash Wednesday.

I may be missing something, though I have scanned the forums, but I'm seeing a 1/3 of the screen on the right either filled with ads, or,  asif it seems to get bored part way down the page, just blank.

Seems other have had that experience but many post that it's now returned to "normal".

Hopefully I don't need to become a lauded GOLD member to lose the barrage of ads?? I simply don't use the site enough to warrant the cost, sorry.

Little to report at present, tonight we attend soup supper prior to the Ash Wednesday service, the choir sing "a lot" so we need the sustenance :)

-8 and sunny, heading for a -3 high.

Tally ho...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

My days seem to be in a jumble its the new Babe she's a walking disaster zone her son went #rse over #ollo# down some stairs at work bang went my night on the sofa holding hands.:resent:

Zeus was behaved today he played me up yesterday so I left early and he got no treats today he wasn't going to miss out so he done as he was told.

I'm doing some crack filling in the kitchen a thousand and one holes in the walls in there previous owner must have been crackpots I think some of it was them using a blunt drill bit with no

hammer action drill and just kept putting holes in until one of the actually went in deep enough to take a screw I've used "Sticks Like Shi#" as a hole filler it works well it's the only glue that

will combat dirt.

Better get back to it. :superman:P.L. Asterer :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Would it be wrong to assume that an adolescent hippo could fit into such vessels as an Enterprise or a GP14 whereas a mature hippo would require at least a sloop or a brig, if not a frigate? :D

I was thinking of an aircraft carrier of at least the Kitty Hawk class.

Edited by J. S. Bach
to correct an error
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

...snip... Hoping each person reading this has had at least one positive experience so far today; but if not remember, there's still 7hrs of opportunity left :)

Just reading a happy post like this one is a positive experience.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello folks, I got absolutely p!ss wet through this morning walking barely 400yds between LPT and an adjacent (re)manufactory of steel boxes with infernal combustion engines, previously manufactured in Craoiva, Doncaster and Crewe which will have 13 added to the first two numbers when they are reborn.

Can you tell what it is yet?

56+13=69...….

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I'm seeing a 1/3 of the screen on the right either filled with ads, or,  asif it seems to get bored part way down the page, just blank.

Yes, the wide column of advertising on the right is back. So far it's on every page I've looked at. I don't object to advertising but this is annoying. The slim horizontal banners were less disruptive.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, the wide column of advertising on the right is back. So far it's on every page I've looked at. I don't object to advertising but this is annoying. The slim horizontal banners were less disruptive.

Turns out, if you're on a laptop/desktop PC at least, adjusting the browser window size - widthwise - you can get to a point where the right hand column shifts to the bottom. It does occasionally mean there are full width ads in the message stream but it's much better than that huge right-hand space!

It's somewhat annoying as the new "preferred" width is somewhat smaller than I generally run the window, but a better choice IMHO.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

58 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Turns out, if you're on a laptop/desktop PC at least, adjusting the browser window size - widthwise - you can get to a point where the right hand column shifts to the bottom.

Ian, thanks for the suggestion, but full-screen (Chrome on Windows 10) made no difference - the advertising column stayed on the right.

Certainly having a wider window helps, but applications that "need" full screen are a pet peeve of mine. I've used windowing workstations since 1984 and still prefer to have a stack of overlapping windows to switch context with one click to a window or the background OS.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Sunday night going home wasn't too bad. Apparently worse on the Saturday and it was "interesting" on Monday afternoon as I left early for a trip to the West Midlands.

I think I was the last through at Sawley before they closed the road!

We had to divert on Thursday going to Glasgow as the A65 was flooded before the M6, so a trip up the Lune Valley and pickup the Sedbergh-Kendal road to the M6 instead.

At least we managed Devils Bridge café for a late breakfast...……..

This was the River Lune at Devils Bridge.

The A65

DB1.jpg.360a9faaf20051423306169444fd3249.jpg

And the old bridge - the normal flow is just through the centre arch.

DB2.jpg.f9be0fe021e18688fe6a97c319239ce9.jpg

More tales of the Glasgow trip later.

Cheers,

Mick

That river is certainly in full spate. The drive up the Lune Gorge isn't bad either. Just a few years too late to see maroon Duchesses as we did when I was 7.

Jamie

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

0n my Android tablet there are no ads at the side, just small ones top and bottom on yhevpagecand occasional larger ones in the thread. Howe the French IP address might make a difference.

Jamie

Same on my tablet in darkest deepest Derbyshire; where sometimes everything is just that little bit different :D

• Like 8
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't get ad's on the side when using my phone, which I generally do during the day. But they do appear at the top, directly under the first post on the page and also at the bottom of the page. I'll check the tablet later in the evening. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

I get an empty white box on the right of my laptop screen - irritating.

Actually I have never gelled with the software since it changed last year, usually you get used to these things but not this time, I use less of its functions than previously, and visit less threads as I find it very frustrating.  The activity stuff boils my...well you can guess, its a bit Andrew C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Poping by after a few days and there seem to be adverts on each page?

Mystified why the particular adverts have any possible relevance to me at all. I'd certainly not click on any of them.

Conclusion: advertisers wasting their money and will cease. 

Assumption: normality will return. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

This is annoyingly what I get, no interest in "an alternative to braces" or  "Showtime" whatsoever, and plenty of other detritus as I scroll down the page.. :O

:(

Screenshot_1.jpg.690acfa8628b196aa3947aebd501dfb2.jpg

Hmmm, and doesn't seem like I can resize pictures posted now either, well, at least not this one for starters :(

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

I don't get any adverts on my iPad.

On my desktop the page is opening with a blank  space to the right where the adverts are in Ian's post above. However the adverts don't appear and after a very short time the content frame extends to fill the full page width.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Evening all. 

Poping by after a few days and there seem to be adverts on each page?

Mystified why the particular adverts have any possible relevance to me at all. I'd certainly not click on any of them.

Conclusion: advertisers wasting their money and will cease. 

Assumption: normality will return. 

I guess if we don't subscribe to RMWeb Gold then we're stuck with the ads to finance the site and its operation.

• Agree 16
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1