The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure what's going on but the page layout I'm getting here has changed and instead of the posts appearing in boxes that fill most of the page they are crammed into half a page width on the left-hand side whilst the right-hand half is taken up with a mixture of advertising and large blank spaces. Have I done something wrong?

Dave

I now see that Phil is having very similar issues.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

There is an update later today so maybe the software is a sort of doing a preliminary 'dance' in anticipation for various folk (but not for me - yet).  I appear to have acquired a lurgi of some sort but I haven't been on teh Coromna so assume it is no more than a cold of some sort - Beechams will be purchased shortly as our household supply was not replenished by he (not me) who last used it.

Off to sunny(?) Tesco shortly. enjoy the rest of your day.  Oh and I must tell that stuff that starts leeching out of seasoning fir logs after 3 or 4 years  that it isn't resin ;)   (I'll tell the tree surgeon as well.)

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

I may have related this before but back in the 90s I had a client that ran a Dutch Pancake house in the Kings Road. When reviewing their fixed asset addition invoices, I noticed the invoices for the pancake pans had been raised by a company called Tossers Limited.

The only museum I have been in Dublin is the Guinness museum. We played "see how many of the free half pints of Guinness you can cadge from American tourists who find they don't like it". The winner gained 8 halves (in addition to the 2 free ones as part of the admission price).

We had a similar situation when we visited the Alaska Brewery in Juneau a few years back. Superb tour guide and we tried all the beers they had on tap in the gift shop bar. Most Americans off the cruise tours tried a bit of one beer and didn't like itas it wasn't Bud etc. One day we will go back there again.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The skip departed  15 minutes ago so anything left to go in it I will have to take to the dump myself. I've noticed no significant changes to RMweb after the upgrade and the blank space is still there, perhaps something will happen tonight. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

Today is Shrove Tuesday.  ...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris

In some parts of the US Shrove Tuesday is called Fat Tuesday; New Orleans, for example.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

In some parts of the US Shrove Tuesday is called Fat Tuesday; New Orleans, for example.

Or even, en francais, Mardi Gras! :good_mini:

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, pH said:

Or even, en francais, Mardi Gras! :good_mini:

I always equated "Mardi Gras" with the event (parade, etc) and Fat (Shrove) Tuesday with the actual day. One year when I was down that way at that time, I found out that Mobile, AL also had a Mardi Gras celebration that was almost as sensational as New Orleans' but much less publicized.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

"Carnival" has the same kind of history. The word derives from the Latin for 'goodbye to meat'. Mardi Gras is the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Carnival happens around the same time. They were celebrations in advance of the penances to be done during Lent. Penances involved giving things up, often rich foods, so stocks of these foods would be used up immediately before Lent, so that they would not spoil during the coming forty days. (Other vices are also often practised, as these too  may be given up for Lent!)

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Though as I like waffles with maple syrup and fruit this would make me persona non grata in Canada where I believe fruit should  be replaced with bacon. 

Or many other things. Here's the 'pancakes' section of the menu for IHOP (International House of Pancakes):

https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/pancakes

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, pH said:

Or many other things. Here's the 'pancakes' section of the menu for IHOP (International House of Pancakes):

https://www.ihop.com/en/menu/pancakes

Can't look at the menu, we are banned over here...………………………………….I have eaten mine.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 14