The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

Small arms and those not so small can be readily obtained at the local Walmart

Brian, the big box stores are evolving on firearms. You can find an old corporate statement by Walmart here. After the tragedy in El Paso, Walmart has further changed their ammunition and open carry policy. Sporting goods provider Dick's Sporting Goods also announced they were scaling back availability of firearms.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But it's horses for course I suppose and if you're prepared to put up with the extra build up of deposits in your chimney from burning resinous timber before its had its time of fully seasoning it will still burn,  provided it isn't soaking wet.

Longer seasoning does not remove the resin from resinous woods like fir. It removes the water by evaporation leaving the resin/gum in the wood. If the wood is still relatively "wet" when it's burned the flue gasses are cool and byproducts from the combustion of resin condense in the flue. The main thing is to get the water content down so that the wood burns hot and it's easy to determine the water content with a DVM.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Longer seasoning does not remove the resin from resinous woods like fir. It removes the water by evaporation leaving the resin/gum in the wood. If the wood is still relatively "wet" when it's burned the flue gasses are cool and byproducts from the combustion of resin condense in the flue. The main thing is to get the water content down so that the wood burns hot and it's easy to determine the water content with a DVM.

What sort of resistance would you be looking for, and how far apart do you have the probes?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It was this:

image.png.cefc36402d50d847377cd3ec6852c88c.png

Edwin Landseer, The Monarch of the Glen (1851) - currently in the Scottish National Gallery. Wikimedia Commons.

... though in cast metal at 4 mm/ft scale (I think) - ideal for a Crianlarich cameo scene I suppose

Part of one of my sisters view every day... Guess where she works..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from over here.  Much to do this norning. Trailer to coupke up then off to collect a friend and her garden tractor. Then off to deluver it for a service. Then the fair Veronique  will trim my locks, Grace and I will then head for the sawmill and pick up 2 stears of metre long oak offcuts. One for each household.  The sawmill produces staves for Cognac barrels and sells off the waste. Then back home unload one stear, on to Grace and Jill's to offload to other stear before loading a hen house. Lunch prepared by Jill and Beth is then promised before getting home and unloading the hen house.  I am then tasked with making a suitable enclosure for some chooks.  Pancakes will no doubt be made and consumed later.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Just now, polybear said:

Shunting 'em off at a bend is quite therapeutic I'm told...

Tempting... very Tempting...

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

My Boss knew a guy with a Landie whose front bumper was a length of B/H Rail.  Or was it a Sleeper....

OIP[1].jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s chuckinitdarn again, who’d have thought eh? I’ve been up over an hour and I’m ready to leave, Sheila has been up just over 40 minutes and is running round like a headless chicken as usual! Who’d have thought eh?

Back later. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, some of the "G" word has taken place in the greenhouse, onion and leek seeds have been sown and are now hardening off under glass and out of the propagator. We have a nice sunny day with little wind, not sure how long that will last, being taken out for lunch, this upcoming birthday is turning into a marathon, now running at over a week it seems lol(I'll pretend to enjoy the fuss). Going with my muddling chum, so some virtual muddling may take place....verbally...………………..

If ithe birthday plans are anything like mine, you will be absolutely cream crackered at the conclusion but enjoy being pandered to - it will be a while before it happens again. :lol:

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The RMweb pages seem to be acting strangely at the moment. There is a blank space on the right taking up a third of the page? Everything else seems to be OK except there is no ads. Bright sunshine earlier but a bit more cloud has drifted across recently. Just had a call from my brother, He's now recovering from the heart op and sounds pretty good in the circumstances.

• Like 14
  • Agree 5