The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The big fluffy guy is still a treasured member of the family and is in much the same condition as he is above. He was actually a display item in a shop at Land's End but I managed to persuade them to sell him to me!

:danced:

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still blowing a hoolie but it appears to have blown the rain away. Decided not to venture into town this afternoon though, the joints are protesting again. Rick, its a pity that that selfish idiot cant be made to pay for all the delayed service claims which must add up to a pretty sum. Tea awaits so its be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Back in his full time working days for a local builder my father tried to keep a stock of oak seasoning in the yard especially once the firm were into buying old buildings and rebuilding them.  In the building shown below he had to completely rebuild the entire  timber frame because of extensive rot in the original and he used a lot of his stock of seasoned oak for the purpose - all cut and shaped without using any power tools at all (all the final shaping was done with an adze) and then assembled without the use of any metal at all, just slotted or morticed  joints, pegged where needed.   After the frame was erected the rest of the building was constructed to fill in between the frames but as usual the frames take most of the structural load - it was erected almost 60 years ago and the oak, being fully seasoned, will no doubt be good for a few hundred years to come.

And no doubt passers-by look up and exclaim at this medieval timber framed roof and the skill of the craftsmen who made it with just the simplest of hand tools over five centuries ago...

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, BoD said:

For the first time ever I have brought something back from a model railway exhibition to which Valerie has said "Oh, that's nice".

P1060742.jpg.ea16fee80a46be68b225fc6778d40b61.jpg

Did you explain you are going to saw the head off and mount it in the lobby of the station hotel?

• Funny 13

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Those which have an absolute muzzle velocity of 12 ft lbs/16.2 joules.  

I think you'll find that's muzzle energy rather than velocity. Muzzle velocity would be feet or meters per second.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All 

Years ago I was approached about roof insulation I pasts it to and expert as the house was a tip it need the loft clearing he had a spray-on job

done that roof has never looked straight since all because it was cheep.

Funny old day today my Babe got the @rse with me as I was still on the dating site we met on my request to be removed had not been actioned,

I said what are you doing looking on there then, check mate !!!.:girldevil::butcher: we are having dinner together tonight I can see me getting a slap for laughing.

For the first time in years I watch England mangle the Paddies felt sorry for them they didn't have an answer for the first half played 

Better get on I need to posh myself up we are eating in a Spoons :sarcastichand::haha::sarcastic::laugh::rofl::heat:

Have a good one :superman: A Muncher 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Some people are naturally gifted with shooting skills

My Dad was. Throwing things too. Not in the least sporty though . Shooting and throwing are things I am not at all good at. Dad was really patient trying to teach me to use an air rifle. PE teachers were not polite at my inability to throw things accurately or far. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Ironically the British and American gun laws came about for the same reason. That was the American war of Independence.

Indeed, the origin is the same but it goes back earlier than that.

William III and Mary II were asked to sign this in 1689 in the Bill of Rights:

Subjects’ Arms.

That the Subjects which are Protestants may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law.

• Informative/Useful 13

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

When I left the army I was very tempted to buy and campaign a Supernova racing dinghy, but I did a complete breakdown of the costs involved.

I've heard yachting described as being alike to "tearing up $20 bills in the shower".

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

^^^ I'm fortunate enough to own a narrow boat (self fit out) and 'tis true, chandlers selling stuff for boats seem to add a zero to the price of similar household stuff.

There seems to be an idea that if you've got a boat, you've got loadsa money.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, leopardml2341 said:

Yes this really is the first time I've had time to myself today - really must find an alternative to work.

I am sitting watching while  a sat nav map update downloads to a usb drive (64Gb recommended!).

My car came back from its service and software upgrade. It still doesn't upgrade maps but apparently the car can upgrade other things without going to the dealers now. All the symbols have changed and it seems to respond more quickly to screen touch now. 

Map is at 65%, perhaps going to eat dinner would be a better use of time.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16