The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

... power in joules ...

That would be watts, but yes the stored energy of a compound bow is ferocious. Locally, I know bow hunters. It's hard to imagine that you could bring down a deer or elk with any kind of air pellet.

I personally do not see any distinction (from a safety standpoint) between a crossbow and a firearm. Britain and the US are of course vastly different in this area, but I presume the air-powered rifle restrictions are as much about the appearance of the air-powered rifle causing alarm due to its visual similarity to a more powerful firearm. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong there.

There are lethality differences between arrows and bullets. Bullets cause trauma and the ballistic energy of the projectile is important. Arrowheads are essentially knives, Frankly just looking at hunting arrowheads gives me the creeps. Their lethality is related to the bleeding they cause and projectile speed is more relevant.

Statistics are hard to come by without extensive research but it seems that (at least in the US) substantially more people are killed (usually by police) when holding an air-gun than are killed by air powered projectiles, either accidentally or deliberately. Here, replica air-guns are supposed to have a brightly coloured muzzle.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium

Our train trip from Christchurch to Blenheim was very good.. and we arrived early !

People in our coach were really nice but totally nuts!

Watched the dolphins, whales and Seals in the seas and beaches alo g the coast near Kaikoura. Why pay for a trip to see them when they come to visit of their own accord.

Baz

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would like to know the power in joules that such a bow can generate?

I think what you want to know is the potential energy stored in a bow before it is converted into kinetic energy by accelerating the arrow. (Power on it's own does nothing unless it's applied over time to do work.)

From what I can find out after extensive research (about ten minutes on Google) a conventional bow stores about 68 Joules before it goes twang and a compound bow can store about 99 Joules. The conversion from potential to kinetic energy seems to be between 85 and 92 percent efficient.

The muzzle energy of your average air rifle seems to be about 35 Joules although there seem to be fancy ones that can do a bit better than that.

So I'd say there isn't a lot in it but bows do seem to be potentially more destructive. It's complicated a lot because pellets and arrows are very different.

For comparison the muzzle energy from a 9 mm heater can be something like 520 Joules.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning all.

Congratulations to the TophamHatt clan.

White stuff is falling from the sky here.

Gridlock will no doubt ensue.

Today will be spent sorting and in some cases testing purchases made in Glasgow. 

Have a good day peoples.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 1014/633.

I had a reasonable amount of sleep unfortunately broken by many wake ups and turn overs.

The above was not helped by some backache, I think caused by reaching above my head to install the light fitting in the garage.

Ben the no Chance Collie refused to go out into the drizzle this morning, it was overcast and very dark out there. Though by the time I got to work the skies were getting lighter..

With the corona virus, I wonder when it will hit Africa, once it does I can't see it going uncontrollable..

Time to.. I think to see what spam has arrive, then set out to work on one major system, there is another but it's not high priority but may well get done by the end of the week..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

They do have a horsetram as well.

I could have had a drive but the brakes were fierce!

Baz

Thanks for that Baz. Yes horse tram brakes. Interesting system. Wind them on with the brake wheel then kick the ratchet to release and big springs take them off. They are probably a bit less fierce when the tram is loaded. Some interesting design and manufacturing.

Anyway good morning all from a rather grey Charente.  No white stuff here and the house is well warmed by the log burner.  A good day yesterday.  Today I should finish the next set of shutters and might even do some muddling.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Guess what, it’s raining again, has been for most of the night! Breakfast has now been consumed and I’m about to make a start on the 2 faulty circuit boards, I may be some time. 

I forgot to congratulate Sir Tophamhat yesterday. 

Back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' awl from a dull and dismal Southampton awaiting the forecast rain.

Congratulations to Sir & Mrs Topham Hatt.

After observing detachments of the Orange Army hard at work on Saturday, I, and SWR, are pleased to announce normal running and stopping at Eastleigh. Also, SWR have now started running a Romsey - Romsey circular shuttle service, with buses serving Southampton - Salisbury. GWR are running Cardiff - Salisbury only.

Yesterday afternoon I accompanied Mrs mole to the new venue for the long-running Sunday afternoon Irish music session. However a newly-opened "Irish Sports Bar" doesn't seem very suitable. It certainly wasn't yesterday with the Ireland game on 5 screens and the bar packed.  After the rugby ended it got a little quieter but not much, with footy on 4 screens and boxing on the other, and the three musicians fought a losing battle against the noise. I left early to cook the evening meal but herself was well grumpy when she got in.

Have a good day, stay warm and dry.

Pete

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Ironically the British and American gun laws came about for the same reason. That was the American war of Independence. The Americans allowed their citizens to carry arms to fight off the British. The British establishment on the other hand, fearful of an armed uprising at home sought to restrict guns, more so after the French revolution. This is why the first police force, the Metropolitan was expressly forbidden to carry guns and had to make do with swords instead.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

So I'll add that to my list of groups for whom the independence of the United States had unfortunate consequences:

• native North Americans
  • enslaved African Americans
  • British sporting gentlemen

Don't feel too sorry for the sporting gentlemen.  The gun laws, particularly for shotguns used to be full of exceptions and exemptions  for the landed gentry. It may have changed since I retired.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Morning from a very soggy NE Scotland, rumours of snaw, but canae see it round here, the hills were covered with it when we drove home from Perth yesterday, now watching the Yorkshire weather forecasts, seems there's snow in Scarborough just now.

I had to get a licence for my air rifle, went to the cop shop to get a form, "not a clue, it's all political, we don't know what's going on" was the reply, I did get a form from the gun shop and I had to report back how it went as I was the first person he knew of to apply for one(most already had shot gun or rifle licences and just added air rifles to them).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1