The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I would suggest that Chris sends an email to his own email address just to see what happens. 

Thanks.  I did.  It arrived as an e-mail just ike the one I sent.  I suspect that the glitch, if glitch it be, lays at my correspondent's end.

Chris

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Sir TH and GDB. The toy fair was packed this morning but I made a few purchases of the diecast variety. An interesting one was a 1930ish Packard made by Hot Wheels. It looks to be approx 1/76 and finished in black it looks very gangsterish. Someone had already dismantled it. Now for a bit of eyelid examination, be back later.

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Am I wrong to connect the flood plain of Lake Missoula with the Hanford nuclear facilities Andy? If not wrong then any later flooding could disturb the storage of nuclear waste around the Hanford site.

The entire Columbia basin was inundated by ice age Missoula floods. The Columbia River Gorge through the Cascades was carved by repeated floods. The Hanford Reach is upriver from the spot marked Wallula Gap in this map.

The location of my home in the Willamette Valley would have been inundated as well. Seattle and the Puget Sound were buried under a Glacier.

For Missoula-level flooding to reoccur we will need ice ages to return.  There are probably more immediate geologic dangers to the Hanford site than glaciation-related flooding. Cascadia subduction zone earthquakes changing the flow of the river might have a much higher potential, but Hanford might be just far enough away for even this to be threatening.

Hanford is also about 100 miles from Mt. Adams (a potentially active stratovolcano). Even volcanic eruptions probably don't present much threat. If anything, burying the area in lava might be a good thing, but Cascadia stratovolcanic eruptions are more often explosive. A lahar flow from Mt Adams would follow the Klickitat River south to the Columbia. It would not threaten the Hanford Reach.

The Missoula floods occurred toward the end of the last ice age 15,000 - 13,000 years ago.  The Newberry Caldera in Oregon had substantial lava flows about 7,500 years ago but these were only about 10 miles or so long. 

The geology of the Pacific Northwest is very alive but things still happen according to geologic time.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,  

Welcome to the post-roast comfort-induced haze which is Sunday night.  Some woolybeast was enjoyed with some red laughing water and I am now almost ready to call it a night.  Just the uniform to press before doing so.

There was a brief interruption to the normal peace and quiet Upon the Hill as some England fans came back from the match.  Understandably the worse for wear and singing their hearts out.  They went on their way and may suffer the same fate in the morning as GDB's grand-daughter did today!  And no doubt they will claim it was all in a good cause.  

The seaweed wranglers are predicting more precipititat .....  preshipper tay son ...... presittipay ..... ah stuff it - it's gonna rain again!!!  Stay well and dry.  

• Like 12
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Forgot to mention my friends young son came with us to the toy fair. He came away with an Oxford Diecast circus set, its his birthday in a couple of weeks so I'll be looking for some more bits to go with them. Now to catch up on my Farcebook.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I made a start on testing the main relay circuit boards this morning, the first 5 all had the same fault. I thought that this can’t be coincidence, so I had a good look at one of them. After about 15 minutes of testing I found the answer, I’d inadvertently left 2 separate circuits joined together. So I cut the track at a convenient point, re-applied power and hey-presto, everything worked as it should do. I also amended the circuit diagram to show today’s alterations. The rest of the boards threw up a couple off silly faults, such as joints not soldered or a bit of solder straying across the tracks!  However, there are 2 boards that I just couldn’t get fully working, 3 out of the 4 relays worked ok, but there was 1 on each board that just wouldn’t to operate at all. All the individual components of the circuit tested ok, but I still couldn’t get the relay to operate, so these will be looked at more closely tomorrow. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

She's recently back from the States!  Bloomin thing scares the hell out of me, there's something about a tensioned bow that makes me wary, compressed springs are like that too, you can feel the latent power in them.  The power in it is scary, all from a bit of string.....well, and some sticks.....no wonder that bloke got one in his eye. :rolleyes:

I would like to know the power in joules that such a bow can generate?

There is a lot of muttering in the shooting fraternity about the apparent disparity in regulations between air rifle shooting and archery.

To obtain a rifle capable of generating the same power as a decent compound bow requires a fire arms certificate, which requires police checks, and the installation of  a secure cabinet, plus some other requirements.

Yet a bow or crossbow, regardless of it's power generation is not required to be licensed nor it's sale recorded in a  special register.

You can even buy them via mail order!

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 7