The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Our current house is perched on a basalt outcrop that was likely exposed during one of the many Lake Missoula floods.

Am I wrong to connect the flood plain of Lake Missoula with the Hanford nuclear facilities Andy? If not wrong then any later flooding could disturb the storage of nuclear waste around the Hanford site.

I am also with AndyID on the need for Chrisf to get his roof fixed - “fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering...” is a lyric from a Beatles song of more than half a century ago! If not addressed quickly, more significant damage can occur (timbers and bigger tile loss). 

When we were in the Marlborough area, we found the train was listed as only stopping at Picton but it did stop to the north side of the town of Blenheim anyway. That was a few years back and things may have changed.

My compositions for the upcoming photography competition were submitted last night and I have been notified of their receipt. One contains images of unmentionable things to ERs, the other contains extreme images of a saxual nature (stop sniggering at the back, saxophones!).

It’s Sunday - lethargy rules! Three esses and some pottering before a must win encounter at Twickenham. France has probably clinched their first championship in a decade after their exertions in Cardiff. I do not expect a favourable outcome from Sandy Park this afternoon either. The day here is very windy and mildly damp, I CBFA’d to seize it but I wish the rest of you something positive.

Edited by Kingzance
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, 

I slept extremely well. Nearly eight hours with just a few wake up and turn over. 

SWMBO has broken my morning routine by getting up at 06:30, so I've had to spend some time sorting out her tablet computer and laptop PC. 

It's blowing a hoolie out there and for the most part has been soggy.  Ben the hiding in his cage Collie,  has shown a distinct disinclination to go out. 

I however am about to,  I'll head for the garage and see what I can do today.. 

Time to...  Move a bit.. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, polybear said:

This is for the slipway IIRC?

Awwww.....that was too easy.

We were hoping for a nice "shaft 'em where it hurts" saga...:jester:

Chrisf, I'm really pleased you mentioned that.

Run.  Very quickly.

That stuff is known to cause all sorts of issues, though no doubt it is suitable in some instances.  About 30 milliseconds on a Google search will find no end of stuff, such as:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5612497/spray-insulation-foam-loses-sale

I'm sure Chrispy Bacon (ChrisPBacon) on RMWeb can give you more of a lowdown....

HTH

Polybear

I have not had this insulation fitted to my roof, but i did have new UPVC windows in the house.

This may be coincidental, but after the windows were fitted, we noticed that the tarred paper upper the roof tiles was covered in condensation, especially when it was colder.

I did a very careful check to ensure that there was air flow through the roof space, but ended up having to install a dehumidifier in the roof, which did seem to work. 

However, it was not a sensible or long tern solution and I decided that fitting some extra vents into the roof to encourage through flow of air might help:  Which it did.

The reason for this message is to point out that coating the inside of the roof with foam (knowing the quality of some 'craftsmen') would probably result in the whole roof area becoming a sealed unit with the water vapour unable to escape.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite breezy here. If it rained overnight as I thought (may have been dreaming?) it is dry now. 
ChrisF, my neighbours who are builders have quite strong views about people who offer roofing services following a “free” survey and quote. 
The condensation in our loft turned out to be caused by the flexible vent hose  from the shower fan having come adrift.

Tony

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

One of my regular e-mail correspondents tells me that my mails now reach him as ‘.eml’ files, which worries him.  I had an on-line conversation with someone from BT last night after which, surprise surprise, I am none the wiser.  Have any gentle readers come across this reconfiguration? 

See https://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/EML-Microsoft-Outlook-Express-mail-message-MIME-RFC-822

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

if you really want wooden humour...... If you look at it carefully it's plane enough to see that the 'i' has been crossed out. (There's two jokes in there: Plane as in plane tree, and plane as in the wood shaving tool.)

Your explaneation was plain to cee!

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

Just been driven inside by a hailstorm allied to 40mph winds.  With such interruptions, the sawing up of my fallen sea buckthorn tree is taking a while.  I will be back outside shortly as the hail has passed and the sun is out again.

Yesterday I watched the two six nations rugby matches.  Italy and Scotland showed why they will finish as the last two.  They were both pretty awful, with the Scots marginally better.  The French look really good with ball in hand, and are likely to win the championship this year.  I have long thought that all they needed was a decent coach or two to harness their talent.  England v Ireland could be a close one this afternoon!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Gone from the uncomfortable side of breezy to that plus cold with white bits soggy.

Early blossom would be responsible for the white (with hint of pink) bits here today. Spring has sprung here. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2