The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

The other week the Doctor asked me how much I drink, I replied about 6 to 8 Bottles of Wine. He looked horrified, then I said; a YEAR, Birthdays and Christmas but only with Meals, he was quite relieved.

I forgot to say, that's between my Wife and I.:)

• Like 5
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2020 at 14:51, jamie92208 said:

What even a proper Swedish Meatball

PA030361.JPG.1c74c756086f67b2657b2046651eb919.JPG

Jamie

I like meatballs, in O and HO:

100_2912.jpg.23923767d96cce19bbeadd53ac764a14.jpg

Edit: MARC is the Maryland commuter rail system; they also have diesel-powered lines.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 18

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Or uninhabitable because the North Atlantic Drift hs moved south because of lack of Arctic Ice. It's happened before, The Loch Lomond Stadial about 11,500 years ago.

I grew up in a house that was perched on a drumlin, probably from much earlier glaciation. Our current house is perched on a basalt outcrop that was likely exposed during one of the many Lake Missoula floods.

Not a good day for real-estate agents.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

54 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

One of my regular e-mail correspondents tells me that my mails now reach him as ‘.eml’ files, which worries him.  I had an on-line conversation with someone from BT last night after which, surprise surprise, I am none the wiser.  Have any gentle readers come across this reconfiguration?  I shall forget all about it this morning for as long as I am at the multiplex watching ‘1917’.

Best wishes to all

Chris

for eml files -- see https://file.org/extension/eml

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

51 minutes ago, chrisf said:

The expression “ravaged by time and the elements” was my paraphrase of what the guy said.  He found and photographed places where the odd tile has slipped and water has got in.

Fixing the tiles to prevent water penetration is a good idea but insulation is purely secondary. If your roof needs fixing, get it fixed, first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 17

I posted this in the Australian bushfires thread. It's an interactive chronology by ABC News of the Australian bushfires starting with the fires in Queensland during September, the spread of fires with increasing summer heat and ending with the January rains. 

My brother sent it to me. It is exceptionally well done. 

I visited family last October. At that point the Binna Burra lodge had already burnt down. The subtropical rain forest around Binna Burra was not considered "prone" to bushfires the way many parts of Australia are. While I had never made it to Binna Burra, it was fondly remembered by my parents. This sort of scene would be repeated over an over in the next four months of Australian summer.

Here the weather is quite nice for this time of year. Normally we get 3" - 6" of rain in February. We've had 1.29" so far (1.59") less than normal for this part of the month. It is supposed to rain a little tomorrow (perhaps ¼"), but not much after that.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

After a ridiculous amount of equivocation I'm pleased to report that we finally have a handshake agreement from the party seeking a Quit Claim from us. I was getting a bit annoyed but MrsID was getting to the point of telling them exactly what they could do with it. As a retired nurse I'm pretty sure she would know.

This is for the slipway IIRC?

Awwww.....that was too easy.

We were hoping for a nice "shaft 'em where it hurts" saga...:jester:

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Polybear, thank you for your observations.  The expression “ravaged by time and the elements” was my paraphrase of what the guy said.  He found and photographed places where the odd tile has slipped and water has got in.  The insulation that he was trying to sell me is sprayed on the underside of the roof and would supplement the fibreglass or whatever it was that I laid between the rafters 30+ years ago.  I may or may not get a second opinion but not yet.

Chrisf, I'm really pleased you mentioned that.

Run.  Very quickly.

That stuff is known to cause all sorts of issues, though no doubt it is suitable in some instances.  About 30 milliseconds on a Google search will find no end of stuff, such as:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5612497/spray-insulation-foam-loses-sale

I'm sure Chrispy Bacon (ChrisPBacon) on RMWeb can give you more of a lowdown....

HTH

Polybear

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9