The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'll let you into a little secret about Great Crested Newts.

My cousin, George the stunt hippo, (he trains most animal actors seen on both small and big screen) has a team of Great Crested Newts on permanent standby to go anywhere wherever there is a major building development planned.

These Newts, are able to reach vulnerable locations within hours of being notified of a threat.  Egress methods include parachuting into certain locations as well as the normal scuba method.  Some have even be known to travel by train.

All are trained in Escape and Evasion, which means although they can be seen, they are past masters (and mistresses) of not being captured. 

The GC Newts are closely aligned with those other element of environmental special forces, Red Squirrels and the Northern detachment of Pine Martiens.

There is also the Bat Squadron, although the Bats being aviators never deign to travel anywhere unless they can fly.

I suppose a bit like the RAF!

Pine Martin is a lone tree close to the Wrekin. Pine Marten  a mustelid

ago by Happy Hippo

So what's a pine martien?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

This morning I put the distilled water maker on,  shortly after there was a cracking sound and water everywhere.....  Once it had cooled investigation revealed the internal Stainless Steel bucket had cracked. 

That's going to be expensive.... 

With this constant wind and no use of the marquee,  I've  decided to use the garage, so I need power in there,  originally I was going to completely refit the electrics,  but now I'll have to do it bit by bit.  So the failed elcb has been temporarily bypassed. A replacement RCD has been ordered. Tomorrow I'll fit new lights recovered from work into the garage.

I've also decided to fit an external power socket to the garage,  this will mean a shorter  route to the marquee that also doesn't cross the drive.. 

SWMBO was complaining the dishwasher wasn't working....  So I cleaned the filter ( full) , removed the spray arms,  unblocked various nozzles, it should work now... 

Ben the sleeping collie has been walked,  I managed 2/3 of the long walk before needing a sit down,  one more stop was required before we got back.  Out of the wind it's actually quite warm out there.. It's clouding over and extreme wet is forecast tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Wooden humour. I read it as Pine Martian.

if you really want wooden humour...... If you look at it carefully it's plane enough to see that the 'i' has been crossed out. (There's two jokes in there: Plane as in plane tree, and plane as in the wood shaving tool.)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Chrisf check with your local council for loft insulation some give a grants for OAPs. 

https://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/info/74/housing/362/keeping_warm

I've spent 3 hours preparing additional information to the freeholder of my flat, I've rubbed it in how filthy the bathroom and kitchen is after years of neglect by the previous owner

the new kitchen is sitting on the lounge floor I had to buy it this week to get the massive discount offer.

My Babe was at her local club last night when she left with friends they caught some #hitbag trying to steal a car police were called.

I must have been tired yesterday I feel asleep in front of the TV and woke at 3:20 and fell on the bed still dressed when I woke at 6am pain killers, a drink and put some pj's on and

climbed back in woke again at 10:30.

onwards and upwards enjoy the weekend :superman: Lazi B'stard :biggrin_mini2:  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Went to IKEA

Found what I wanted

Came out with that and nothing else.

Is that a record?

Hmmm, the one (or was it two) time(s) that I have been in an IKEA, I went in not looking for anything in particular and came out with nothing.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After doing a bit of shopping this afternoon I was going to continue with clearing the garden shed but my knees said otherwise. Instead I have spent some of the afternoon on eyelid inspection. The knees are calming down so hopefully I can go to the toy fair at Rayleigh tomorrow. Now its muggatee time, be back later.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is now a winery between Pishill and Stonor and apart from the potentially amusing association of those names with its products it was interesting to note that a considerable nearby acreage is under freshly planted vines.  They should produce a good white on that soil but I hope they don't go in for red ...

Probably good to get that root stock growing. After a few more years of the current direction of climate change, the Thames Valley will be the new Burgundy.

Of course I'm kidding. Sort of. Perhaps I am not.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Went to IKEA

Found what I wanted

Came out with that and nothing else.

Is that a record?

Not even a meatball?

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You should never burn softwood except perhaps in an open fire.

We don't have a lot of choice. There's not much hardwood in these parts.

I wouldn't use softwood in an open fire. It tends to spit burning embers. The trick to using it is to burn it fast and hot so there is little to no smoke coming from the chimney. The sections of the chimneys outside the buildings here are heavily insulated (and bloomin' expensive) to keep the exhaust hot and prevent creosote condensing in the flue.

Edited by AndyID
missing voib
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 10

35 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just had a Good Life moment. That one when the Barbara (Felicity Kendal) and Jerry (Paul Eddington) were drunkenly loading dishes into the freezer instead of the dishwasher.

I've just tried to put a clothes wash into the dishwasher.

Take more water with it John.:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 11