The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening alwl,

Looks like it's been a busy day here!

8 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Of course we know that happens in the case of large builders (who banked 4x as many approvals as they built last year) but this crowd of pen pushers refused an individual planning permission for a stable block; the individual then defies the refusal and builds it all the same before applying for retrospective approval - which is granted!!! The next stage in that individual’s path will be to convert the stable block to residential, even though there is an existing covenant on the use of the land that it cannot be for residential purposes. Is the local planning authority populated by thick-skinned pachyderms I wonder? They certainly are not serving the people who elected their so-called bosses or who actually pay their salaries! 

Oddly, Arun DC went along these lines when a certain well-known (locally, infamous might be a better description) person converted a building in Littlehampton to, effectively, a brew pub. There was a covenant prohibiting any alcoholic production or sale on the site. After he filed for bancruptcy, the building has been converted to flats!

7 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Thanks KZ. I always been very cautious ever since a new credit card was stolen (by our postman at the time) many years ago and 2/3K put on it (it was resolved successfully) and I check bank and credit card transactions daily. I have different pins for every bank and credit card and different passwords for every online account and website I visit. Depending on what sort of account some are very complicated but I usually manage to remember them. Just seems weird that I've forgotten a 4 figure pin.  

I keep a database of my various logins but only cryptic clues to the password should I ever forget it.

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. Acula has been consulted and blood has been found in my alcohol system.

It must be beer o'clock somewhere - it is always beer o'clock somewhere - therefore I need to cellar-brate with something appropriate to the time of week.  See you later.  Maybe ;)  

Blood in the alcohol stream?! What was it doing there??

IMHO, it's always Beer O'Clock everywhere, given the right environment.

13 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

Well as usual the parcel from Fraggle Rock arrived promptly at about 12.30pm so about 21 hours from notification of despatch. Not bad at all Neil. :D Only contained a couple of points and some Setrack 4th radius curves which once again I've had to revert to because I cannot for the life of me get Flexitrack to do anything other than a very gentle curve without kinking at the joins even with the use of Tracksettas.

I won't call you useless but, dare I say it, Normal! :jester: Flexitrack wants to be straight (no need to get excited ChrisF! ;) ).

If you have to put a joint on a curve, it is best to join the pieces together on the straight and solder across the joints to keep them in line. In retrospect, you could try pinning at least six sleepers either side of the joint. On second thoughts, just stick to setrack as the A&E's overcrowded. :jester:

• Like 13
  • Funny 6

Gentlemen, thanks for the entertainment of the rant o' the morning.

While a ban on burning coal would be greatly inconvenient to some, it would seem that a ban on burning green wood inconveniences exactly no one (at least no one sensible) making it entirely moot.

While I'm sure it can be found, in my experience, burning coal in a household fireplace is highly unusual in the US. I do recall the corporate headquarters of a company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that had a roaring coke fire in their corporate lobby. Entering the lobby on a freezing cold winter's day to the presence of a coke fire was very pleasant. Doubtless there are others, but this is the only coal fire I have ever seen in the US. There are of course plenty of coal fires for artisnal or historical forges / smithies.

Plenty of historical buildings of course have fireplaces that might have once held a coal fire, but I've never seen them used. Most of the boilers for household, steam radiant heat were converted to bunker oil or entirely replaced by forced air most commonly heated with a gas furnace. When I rented an older home in Chicago, the radiant steam heat was still in place, but the boiler was fired by mains natural gas.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

judicious posting of some "adjustment" of accounts (far beyond my pay grade, I'm a simple developer/report writer!!) solved the problem

An adjustment printed in invisible ink?

Tony

• Agree 3
  • Funny 14

4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Took an hour to drink a can od dark beer (7%) last night as it cost between £7 and £8.

Gobsmacked!

Baz

At 7%, an hour was quick and, for a beer, I wouldn't grumble too much about that price at that ABV! One is enough.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

At 7%, an hour was quick and, for a beer, I wouldn't grumble too much about that price at that ABV! One is enough.

I had a third of NZ beer for £6 yesterday. It was 11% though and had to travel all the way from NZ to Birmingham... it was well worth it was a superb dark beer.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Some years ago (when I was about 50, at a guess) I couldn't remember what a Kettle was called, so I gave up and just said "it's next to the thing that makes hot water". 

Its probably true to mention that most go through this black hole at sometime or other, only to remember a few minutes later.:wacko:

Brian.

• Agree 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Weather today was absolutely carp, so went into town this morning for both Mrs G and I to try to buy some new walking shoes.  She found a pair no problem, but I couldn’t find a pair to fit, as I have size 13 feet.  So I asked to order a pair of shoes which were supposedly available in size 13.  The shop assistant tried her best, but the shop (Millets) systems would only let her order sizes 7 to 12 for delivery to the store.  I had to resort to going home and ordering them online myself for delivery to the same store in a week or so.  Why their systems wouldn’t allow my size to be ordered in store completed befuddled the assistant.  To add injury to insult, my online order cost me an extra £1 for “delivery”!  I just hope that the bl**dy things actually fit comfortably when they do arrive.

This afternoon, I went down to the Ratty for the annual induction, this year accompanied by a written assessment for the first time.  At least everyone can travel in the knowledge that the railway has written evidence of their guard’s competence, hopefully even me now!

Do you have a branch of BigClobber near you? Give them a try if you do. If not they also do mail order.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1