The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

30474 has gone to work - she is now in her 64th year on the  planet, and if she had not been caught by the changes to State Pension Age, would now have been enjoying her State Pension for three years instead of having to wait another three before drawing it.

The same thing happened to Sheila, but luckily she only has to wait until next year to draw hers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the noisy borough. 

I've given up trying to catch up on nearly 8 weeks of posts. That way madness lies, and I'm mad enough already. I'll just say congrats and commiserations as appropriate. 

A noisy but productive week. Network rail have the line closed and are doing work on stabilisation. Most of this is further along by Barnhurst but they've taken the opportunity to also shore up the embankment between Welling and Bexleyheath as well. Today is day 7 of 06:00-23:00 pile driving. Driving me to distraction. New road is closed for the crane and equipment making the High Street worse than ever for traffic as the favoured rat run is diverted.  

Building works continues next door. They've just started up with the breaker again in the last 10 minutes. Dunno what they are doing in there but they've filled a skip and a half with nothing but bricks and roofing slates. I have the feeling based on the amount of H section that was delivered recently, they are taking out all the chimney breasts internally and knocking the upstairs bedroom walls about. 

The old fence is gone. A shiny new metal one is in its place. That was 4  days of breakers, concrete saw, angle grinding, and other noise. At least the new fence should outlast me. 

That's about it. need more coffee. Enjoy the day. 

I read today about the project to dig new tunnels for the electricity supply from Wimbledon via New Cross and Hurst (North Cray) to Crayford. The CPO maps make it appear that this will be under one or other lane of the A2, cutting south near Black Prince and going to a substation near Joydens Wood. I imagine there will be sustained disruption for various parts of this too.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

Greetings all from LBG. It is cloudy but the sun is trying to break through and the winds are strong. Which is entirely coincidental with me having just eaten a thali from one of the stalls in Borough Market.

We have had half a dozen different assessment systems in my time here, with messages from HR varying from these are important for your pay and bonus to your pay and bonus will not be affected to you must complete your assessment or you won't get paid a bonus, if indeed you get one.

In my time here the office has expanded from about 250 to 350 people. HR has gone from 5 to about 15. It strikes me as a good career for a young person to go into.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I read today about the project to dig new tunnels for the electricity supply from Wimbledon via New Cross and Hurst (North Cray) to Crayford. The CPO maps make it appear that this will be under one or other lane of the A2, cutting south near Black Prince and going to a substation near Joydens Wood. I imagine there will be sustained disruption for various parts of this too.

Joy unbound. Shame they couldn't just run the cables along with the Tideway tunnels. That construction is bad enough when trying to get through Greenwich & Rotherhithe. Imagine the circus of them disrupting the A2. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

conversation with site manager Bob was that your new kitchen being delivered Me Yes Him have you got the OK from head office Me no Him you cant' put it in Me I'm not

it's my new lounge folley I had to buy  it now to get a mega discount Him you still need permission Me I know but i'm saving £1,500 Him you still can't Me I'm not going to live with that rubbish 

that is a poor excuse for a kitchen much longer I'm sure a company like yours would not treat me in an ungainly way Him no we wouldn't  Me thank you.

He stood there mouth agape for a minute or 2 thinking he had been outwitted . :jester:

Went to B&Q and got my bathroom planned the chap was very helpful all free of charge this with the kitchen plans will be emailed to the freeholders office for approval 

4 weeks time the flat should look like a home instead of someone elses #hit hole. the lounge blind turned up yesterday better get that up so the nosey B'stards across the road 

can't doss in.

Minding him yesterday a skip driver left a skip on the drive but could not find the payment it was were it's was normally left, he stood in from of me and Big Boy was being me with his front paws on top of my shoulders 

matey broke out in a cold sweat WTF is that I told him he was an attack dog so don't move until I shut the door Zeus does not stop growing.  I'm sure matey would have #hit himself had Zeus got out.

Onwards and upwards :superman: I.M. Painfree :whistle:

IMG-20200123-WA0005.jpeg.b2bf749885c83e6182ad66079206ecf5.jpeg

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

We're after finding where $14 has gone astray between two reports, this will be fun considering the $ amount with the discrepancy is made up of a LARGE number of accounts and is in the range of $22 million! :jester:

That sounds like a case of "the sum of rounds very seldom equals the rounding of a sum". 

• Like 11
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO taken to her medical appointment this lunchtime, then Waitrose as was planned. After that, things got akin to sky-ward pointing mammaries. Firstly I had intended on picking up my next batch of medication although the chemist turned out to shut over lunch - grrrr! Second, I confused myself in terms of when the next Farmer’s Market takes place, a premature reaction on my part :lol:. I withdrew to lick my wounds / consider my next move. I decided that son-in-law’s failed chainsaw would benefit from attention. The starting problems were simply down to a blocked air filter, easily solved under the hot water tap. I then sharpened the chain, which would have struggled to cut butter without such care. Finally, a test run proved it would start easily and swiftly go through green-ish wood from a tree that fell in Storm Ciara. It will be cut up and split prior to stacking at the far end of their wood shed, probably not being required until autumn ‘22 at the earliest.

We have a wood burning stove and use that through the winter months, it cuts our use of gas. As others have said, wet wood doesn’t burn and suppliers of such would struggle to keep in business. The whole drive towards electricity is an absolute farce when you consider that we have to import around 10% of our electricity from mainland Europe and we generate around 30% of our own electricity from imported gas. A further proportion of our electricity comes from biomass, much of which is in the form of wood pellets that are grown and prepared in Canada before being shipped over here. Of course the real issue is actually about generating and storing electricity by methods that don’t create CO2 or particulates and doing that here to provide energy security. Every push to swap more consumption onto electricity should include a strong consideration of how that additional electrical demand can be met. Of course that means an ability to use “joined up” thinking, something that governments and activists seem unable to do, particularly if they are benefitting from financial support from the Big Six providers and network operators.

Time to crawl back under my stone...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10