The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Well it must have started raining during the night as we’ve got a few puddles in the back garden and it’s still raining now, but not as heavy as it was an hour or so ago. There are no plans set for today, although a visit to Waitrose was mentioned last night, but we’ll have to wait an see how the day develops to see if that actually happens today or is postponed until another day. In the meantime, I’ll continue my work with the soldering iron, so in essence I’ll just keep soldering on!

Chrisf, happy birthday 

Back later. 

OH! DEAR! . . . . . . 

Morning all from the Costa del P!ssing Down.

John

P.S Happy birthday Chrisf

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hmm glad this is today and not tomorrow! Though the forecast is not good oh well we will see if I make Glasgow!

Due to heavy flooding between Carlisle and Lancaster lines are blocked until further notice. There are rail replacement buses between Preston and Carlisle. Please check your journey before travelling here: https://avantiwestcoast.co.uk/live

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

What a lot of catching up was required just for one day’s absence! Best wishes to Chris and I hope his celebration does not become too laden with past memories. Preceding comments indicate I am not alone in thinking that the internals are slowing having past my three score and ten but to the “woke” generation, we are just clogging up the place!

We three elderly camera toters chose to continue with our planned visit to the collection of Brunswick Green kettles, chocolate and cream accommodation and grey or brown units for non-humings located in Oxfordshire despite the precipitation that started as we entered Bedfordshire. Our route took us through Wallingford and it would seem from the waters en route that The Stationmaster may soon become The Harbourmaster. Despite that, a pleasant day was had, even if it was spoiled a little by a flat grey sky that never stopped depositing on us. I had hoped to see 2999 but she was in the Lifting Shop having her boiler tubes cleaned for her next foray, thankfully one of the staff offered to take me into the shop - many thanks! She will be appearing on The Severn Valley line in the not too distant if comments we heard are correct!

Today sees me awaiting some imitation buck-eyes from the outskirts of Liverpool (postie has just dropped them off), a walk to the local PO to collect what I hope are the new cables to link my camera to a geotagging gizmo and the currently weekly meeting of Hitchin Camera Club. I am sure there were many comments from other contributors that I thought would deserve a response from me but, due to short term memory loss, I’m damned if I can remember them. The myriad of images captured yesterday need sifting, sorting and processing as three are definitely required in a panel for submission on Sunday. It was nice to hear via Baz that The Keeper of The Great Awl remains in good form, even if not posting directly - hence my care in the above composition.

Onwards and upwards, keep fighting lurgi and other ailments friends...

• Like 19

Greetings all from LBG where the cloudy skies threaten rain.

Happy birthday to Chris; I hope he manages a good day even with such mixed emotions.

Hotel room costs; we're taking Younger Lurker to the British Grand Prix in July, partly to celebrate his finishing primary school. We managed to book a Travelodge in the middle of Northampton to stay in - no parking, no breakfast - and a family room was eye-watering. The nearer hotels were full. The price maybe eye watering but the tickets for the event itself are far more. Fortunately Mrs Lurker picked up those! I expect I will have to dust off my knowledge of Northampton's eating establishments and pick somewhere suitable for us; sadly I doubt the Giggling Sausage or Aladdins Balti will be acceptable!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I only know one song from South pacific, "Happy Talk". And that only because Captain Sensible did a version of it that I saw on Top of the Pops.

It hasn't made me want to explore further.

You almost certainly know several songs from South Pacific. You just don't know that that is where they are from.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

Hmm glad this is today and not tomorrow! Though the forecast is not good oh well we will see if I make Glasgow!

Due to heavy flooding between Carlisle and Lancaster lines are blocked until further notice. There are rail replacement buses between Preston and Carlisle. Please check your journey before travelling here: https://avantiwestcoast.co.uk/live

Line appears to be open now, but with delays - so hopefully you will get there.

Afternoon All

Chris - happy birthday - I know it's tempered with sadness, but I always try to remember the good things about a deceased relative - and it has done me well over the 67 years that I have been on the planet.  It's 30747's birthday tomorrow, so you're in good company sharing your birthday week with her - and of course you share yours with Ivana Trump and Cindy Crawford and when I googled these were the only names I recognised among the so-called "celebrities" - she shares hers with Vanessa Feltz and Jilly Coope and when I googled hers, there was nobody listed whose name even meant anything to me, apart from Tuppence Middleton, who played a leading role in the FIshermens Friends film. 

I also plead loss of short term memory for not mentioning much - but nice of Ian to drop in and update us on the goings on and on Sherry.  And John - thanks for the news of Debs - hope she's back posting soon.  And generic greetings are on offer to anybody wels who is ailing or celebrating. 

Tomorrow 30747 has to work, but hopefully getting a lift, then she's got an appointment at the hairdressers after work, so I'll have to pick her up from there.  THe painting is finished and all the pictures have been put back in new positions, as I couldn't remember where they went - they are numbered, but since I numbered them, we changed the order to fit in a couple of new ones, so I took all the nails out, and then put them back in the new positions.

Back tomorrow (probably)

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

KZ I'm ashamed to hear that you apparently drove right past Root One (just outside Wallingford on the road to Didcot, and Pendon) without calling in to sample one of their breakfasts.

In the meanwhile we have braved the various bits of well puddled road and crossed the swollen river Thames (twice) which is still flowing well with various land around it somewhat flooded over several miles.  we also passed the turning for a place called Purley-On-Thames where many years ago we went to look at a house (from the outside) and I turned round and drove away before we even got there explaining to herself that there was no way anybody could even give me a house down there let alone sell me one - some houses there are again flooded, alas for the poor s*ds who did buy there.

One real train was seen - the return empty Theale tanks waiting on Oxford Road Curve for a path westwards and somewhat late.   33.97 litres of diesel were duly procured but I failed to save 10.2p/litre compared with the price charged locally by EuroPakgarages because the actual saving was 14.2p/litre,.  We really are uin rip off land for fuel locally - the nearest BP station, about 6 miles away, is still  5p/litre of diesel cheaper than the billionaires are charging just down the road and the nearest Tesco is 13p/litre cheaper.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, polybear said:

So I let the matter drop, at least outwardly.  All I can say is there's more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Keep copious notes of conversations, indeed ask if you can record them (it's not 'entrapment' if you ask; if they refuse note that as well) email said notes to your boss and HR, asking them to confirm receipt, send copies to a bcc address of your own and turn on the delivered and read receipt options n your email client.

You'll then have all the evidence of such behaviour should you decide to use it, or if you need to.

I suppose it depends on personal circumstances, and what your risk aversion is, as to how far you take it.

I did this once and even the possibility that I was serious about taking action in the future based on the evidence collected created an immediate change in attitude. I didn't get anything out of it other than satisfaction, but then again I didn't lose anything either.

But, please do remember your health and wellbeing is the most important thing.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Our cocker spaniel sat next to me on the settee and let a silent but deadly escape. I soon moved her!!!  Rarely happens thank goodness,

Dave

As much as I love spaniels, that is a serious downside of the breed. You are lucky if it only happens rarely with yours.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 4