The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not trying to pick on your typing Baz, but by "covid" are you referring to the Chinese novel coronavirus, aka "COVID-19"?

Yes unless there are outbreaks other Covids at the moment...or do you know something we don't?

As it happens Qantas is reducing flights as is Jetstar, dining places and gift shops are not seeing their usual footfal.

It is very noticeable both here and in Oz. Two years ago both  ountries had a lot of chineses visitors. Today we met a coach with people from Hong Kong, another with visitors from Taiwan. But two compared to the many tourist coaches last time is not good for anyone.

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A certain song from South Pacific that carries on about cock-eyed optimists comes to mind.

At least you are not thinking of the "... wash that man right out of my hair" earworm. A very uneven production from Rodgers and Hammerstein that one though apparently the movie was the highest grossing movie in the UK until Goldfinger came along. The Wikipedia page has this to say:

Time magazine stated that it was "almost impossible to make a bad movie out of it – but the moviemakers appear to have tried"

My parents (in particular my dad) were big fans of the golden age of Broadway musicals and had (still have) quite a collection of the original Broadway cast and/or movie sound track vinyl LP recordings of Rodgers and Hammerstein plays in particular.  I don't remember the South Pacific record being played much at home so thankfully I don't have those songs in my head like some of the other Rodgers and Hammerstein collaborations.

I'm not sure that Mitzi Gaynor's version of that song is the best. Unlike most of the actors, she actually did her own singing in the film. Nellie Forbush was first played on stage by Mary Martin and she sounds very much like her Oklahoma character. Unsurprisingly, there is a version of it by Julie Andrews which is less grating than the others. You Tube will oblige. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Chris. I hope that you enjoy it despite the memories it brings of your Mum. Having reached the same age nine months ago I sympathise concerning fitness level decline but find that riding my bike for such things as going to the shops when just needing small supplies and not pressed for time does help somewhat. Judging by the aches and pains involved after a session clambering in and out from under baseboards when wiring up a la**ut that must be doing something beneficial too - if you subscribe to the pain and gain principle that is.

For the rest of you ERs, good morning and let's all Baz the day.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A very uneven production from Rodgers and Hammerstein that one though apparently the movie was the highest grossing movie in the UK until Goldfinger came along.

I'm not surprised by that Oz; most of my pocket money as a fifteen year old was spent taking Jill to see it! Oh, and thanks for planting the gonna wash that man earworm that I think I'm now stuck with for the rest of the day......

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sorry about that chief!

I could link you a nice rendition of A Cockeyed Optimist in a University student production I found on You Tube if it helps. ;)

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Happy birthday Chrisf 

P!ssing down here again my babes is driving over this evening I will keep one eye on the weather she has a Toyota 4x4 thing on stilts so she should manage to get here.

lots to do today again this is getting a habit doing things and not sitting on my butt Pah . 

I wonder what Zeus is going to eat today after the eggs yesterday he is a laugh a minute. :jester:

Better get on enjoy your day. :superman: K. N. Ackered :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it must have started raining during the night as we’ve got a few puddles in the back garden and it’s still raining now, but not as heavy as it was an hour or so ago. There are no plans set for today, although a visit to Waitrose was mentioned last night, but we’ll have to wait an see how the day develops to see if that actually happens today or is postponed until another day. In the meantime, I’ll continue my work with the soldering iron, so in essence I’ll just keep soldering on!

Chrisf, happy birthday 

Back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning,  Firstly Happy Birthday ChrisF

Heavy rain and wind prevail at the moment and looks like its in for a few hours more.

Quiet day today other half out to have her hair done and then lunch with friends so left to my own devices as they say.

Off to model rail Scotland tomorrow  courtesy of Avanti West Coast well thats the plan just hope the weather does not play havoc with my plans for the day.

Enjoy your day folks!

Alan

• Like 19