The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I am not aware of any floods around here. 

Don't know how far you are from Little Baddow Tony but Steve came back from a long weekend near there on Monday and had to drive down a flooded road where there were 2 or 3 abandoned cars, however his Velar didn't have any problems getting through.

Edit. Wrong place name!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a very good talk from Adrian Wright on GER branch lines at SEERS this evening. A broad subject indeed with some interesting facts. One of the branchlines covered was the North Woolwich branch. The only branch line in the country to have four tracks. (up and down passenger and up and down goods. Another interesting fact is that Stratford is the only railway station in the world with four different current collection systems used by trains using the station. OEL, third rail, four rail and underrunning third rail.

This was part of an answer to the London Reconnections Christmas quiz - they recounted all the traction systems, past and present.

"Question 11

This was a question about the station with the greatest number of electric traction systems past and present. We reckon the answer is Stratford.

The post-World-War-2 Shenfield electrification programme brought 630V fourth rail on the Central line and 1500V DC overhead on the Liverpool St – Shenfield service. The Shenfield service was then converted to a combination of 6.25kV and 25kV AC overhead with the lower voltage applying in the Stratford area. When it was realised that required clearances required for AC traction were less than originally mandated a decision was made to convert all 6.25kV systems to 25kV.

In addition Stratford used to have the North London line extended North Woolwich and that ran on 750V DC third rail. Finally, it is served by the DLR which is also 750V third rail but this is a 750V third rail bottom-contact system completely incompatible with the other 750V third rail system."

I hasten to add I did not get all of this! In fact I did not get much of the quiz!!

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The weather seems a lot quieter this afternoon. Little wind or rain so over the next few days I'm going to clear the shed while the skip is still here. There are a few of my dads old tools down there I might be able to rescue if the damp hasn't got to them.

6 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Don't know how far you are from Little Baddow Tony but Steve came back from a long weekend near there on Monday and had to drive down a flooded road where there were 2 or 3 abandoned cars, however his Velar didn't have any problems getting through.

Edit. Wrong place name!

Its on the River Chelmer between Chelmsford and Heybridge and that area is a flood plain so its no surprise that its flooded. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just seen the proposed points based system for migration into the UK.

When do I get deported?

Will the points system apply to all MPs?  

I am safe I know fail the limit ...

Baz

• Like 6
  • Funny 13