The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The lurgi has come back with a cough as well as the blocked up nose. Extra reinforcement of the Lem-sip tonight required.

55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hard to take articles seriously with typographical errors in the first line. It makes me question their attention to accuracy.

I found the capitalization a little odd too. Is this normal in the maritime reporting world or a habit of this author / editor?

I found the owners letter reminiscent of one of those e-mails from Nigeria telling you that you have inherited millions of dollars. Apparently it has been drifting around the Atlantic for 15 months, the crew were rescued by the US Coastguard in October 2018.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hard to take articles seriously with typographical errors in the first line. It makes me question their attention to accuracy.

I found the capitalization a little odd too. Is this normal in the maritime reporting world or a habit of this author / editor?

It doesn't entirely agree with information recently posted elsewhere which stated the USCG attended the vessel in order to evacuate the crew because the vessel was drifting with a complete power failure.    Based on the position where it was sighted by HMS Protector it's not all that odd that it has since drifted onto the coast of Ireland as it has obviously finally been caught by the Gulf Stream/Gulf Stream Drift although it has taken quite a time to cross the Atlantic.  The oddity is that it actually made it that far without being involved in a collision as it crossed various shipping lanes or foundering for some other reason.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

A quick check in to wish all ERs generic greetings, and to express a wish that there is nobody affected by the flooding.  Looks as if Shropshire is still suffering, but it seems that every news bulletin brings more and more misery.

Fodder run this morning, need to visit both Horrorsons and Aldi - I don't think we need any marmalade as we appear to have some in the store cupboard.

Got to take 30747 to work, so will probably just head on from there to the food shops,

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning, looks like we might get a better day, suns out and the winds dropped, might go out with the camera, if there's any snow I might go into the hills, take care and have as good a day as is possible given the weather some folks have been experiencing.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all 

Greetings from sunny Essex. 
Aditi is hosting a French Circle committee meeting this afternoon. I will not be required. If the car tyre has lost pressure I will go and sort it out. I will investigate after breakfast. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Today is Sainsbury’s Grand Prix day, Sheila did say she wanted to join me, but has now decided that she’ll stay at home and join me on another day, this now means that I will be back a lot sooner than I’d expected. This afternoon I’ll be making cakes for tomorrow evening’s dessert, black velvet have been requested so that’s what they’ll get. I doubt that I’ll get any work done with the soldering iron done today, but there’s always tomorrow. 

Carpe diem, back later 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Apparently Dave Hunt and I are the only people in Shropshire that have not required evacuation or been delivered sand bags or any other flood defence accoutrements.

I have Agreed that since the Hippodrome is a few feet lower than the  Control Tower, should Muddy Hollow (Forward) burst it's banks, then I will call Biggles to let him know, prior to a leisurely amble up the Wrekin to a slightly higher elevation.

image.png.2710086579bb426b389ff07389970fc1.png

We ought to be safe at the base of the transmitter!

Just hope that his old mates don't mistake it for the Brocken. I believe that one rite of passage before the fall of the Berlin Wall, was to take photos of the east side of the Brocken. Along with selfies taken throught the cockpit canopy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The builder is busy fitting a new back gate, he is also painting the six fence panels from the front garden while he's about it, £300 for the job, not bad as it includes all the gate fittings. I don't seem to have suffered any side effects from yesterdays exertions moving about 50kg of stone chippings. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

not much on today , I did manage to get some pictures up in the lounge yesterday I will start filling holes in the last owners made bloody great nails that damaged the walls were used 

for the smallest of pictures you can see what size they were by the dirty mark where they hung. lots to do  in every room I'm trying to maximize my efforts to do things that create the

biggest impact and silly jobs like putting a door handle the right way up a screw in a light fitting to hold the glass bowl in place, bit by bit filling the original settlement cracks in, taking out miles 

of telephone cable and aerial leads that criss cross the flat that's just nailed into the wall it was expected, I bought some new sets of bedding to get rid of the flowery sh!te the slapped #rse  

always got gone for a modern image sharp contrasting colours it's brightening this place up no end to get rid of the sh!tty Magnolia.

I've to let Zeus out for a pee at 2pm , shopping at Horrorsons I wont use the local Stainsburys as its filthy and another visit to the Duckery at 4pm to see a new Quack BP is all over the place

it's every time the #itch bothers me.    

better get on I've got to put the new bedding in the wash as its got shop pong.

Enjoy your day :superman: B Endix   :biggrin_mini2:                                                              

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Photo books turned up on Saturday and no errors.:yahoo:

A few were posted yesterday and should arrive at family addresses today.  Hope they like it!

A bit of oomph is gradually returning so hopefully I will be fit for purpose at Betws at the weekend - Geirionydd is back in steam.  :good:    :locomotive:

Ray had to take a circular route to Betws on Sunday as part of the A5 was closed due to yet another tree down with electricity lines.  Fallen trees, flooding and landslip had been the previous weekend's plot which did stop play.

Time to put the hoover round.

Thoughts with any who are adversely affect by the floods etc.  Sunday, a bottle of milk got spilt on the kitchen floor - that was bad enough.  It took us both to mop and clean up and caused quite a bit of stress as it got under the fridge and adjacent cupboards.  It could have been a whole lot worse but, thankfully, a couple of towels were conveniently within arms reach and saved the day and no odour on the carpet tile it reached on the other side of the breakfast bar.

Best wishes

Polly

Thank goodness most kitchens now have kicker boards that are clipped into place - they allow easy removal for cleaning underneath in such an event. Of course getting that low down and (more so) getting back up again can be an issue to the older fraternity....

• Like 4
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry here but we still have a strong wind.  Excused from shopping duties today as I spent yesterday tidying up the garage and four trips to the tip had to be made. To be honest I was a bit knackered last night old age slowly starting creep in I think.

A few bills to pay today and some emails to send other than that it will be a leisurely existence today. I have my shopping list ready for Model Rail Scotland on Friday which I am looking forward to.

So enjoy your day maybe back later.

Alan

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Thank goodness most kitchens now have kicker boards that are clipped into place - they allow easy removal for cleaning underneath in such an event. Of course getting that low down and (more so) getting back up again can be an issue to the older fraternity....

Thank goodness, indeed.

Fortunately, we have such removable boards, but even if  we had used rubber seals, they would not have stopped the milk getting under the fridge.

Edited by southern42
  • Friendly/supportive 17