The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning all (just) from a slightly damp Charente.  I've been and checked the fires at our friend's house. She, her daughter and grandson are en route after a rather rough crossing to Caen.  It's their first trip since Joan's husband John died in November. Bread, milk, butter and mouse poison has been purchased for them and the remains of two deceased mice have been incinerated. The house shoukd be warm for them when they arrive in an hour or so.  I've been out on a shopping expedition and have bought a new battery for the garden mower/tractor. The grass is growing well and needs a trim.  More shutter work is in order this afternoon. The rather tedious task of filing the holes in the hinges square will continue. Whoever built the shutters was lazy and left the nuts on the outside which us not terribly secure. 36 holes for each pair of shutters to go from a round 6mm hole to a square one.  What joy.

Regards to all and stay safe.

Jamie

Assuming you are using coach bolts you could turn down the squares a bit in your lathe and "interference fit" then in the hinges (bash them in with a large hammer).

Alternatively square the holes by drilling four small holes for the corners and bash the bolts in with a large hammer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A tad late this afternoon as my internet went down for a while and I had to reset a few things. Spent the afternoon filling the soakaway, all twelve feet of it. It might be long but it is only about three inches wide. I found an old bucket dumped in the skip and that came in very handy for carrying and pouring the stone chippings. Also in the skip I found an old broom head that was handy for tidying up the spilt chippings. The lurgi keeps coming and going but it appears to be going at the moment. Thats all folks, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Assuming you are using coach bolts you could turn down the squares a bit in your lathe and "interference fit" then in the hinges (bash them in with a large hammer).

Alternatively square the holes by drilling four small holes for the corners and bash the bolts in with a large hammer.

Thanks for the suggestions Andy. Yes indeed they are coachbolts. However  as i only need to enlsrge each corner by not very much the drilli g would be quite fiddly.  I've cracked on today and have done a few each time I've visited the shed to fill the wood basket. 33 out of the current batch of 36 done and two sides of shutter undercoated.  This has now ground to a halt as both the old orbital sanders have bitten the dudt. One just stopped and the other got thrown out for smoking in a no smoking shed.  A visit to the big shed is to be made tomorrow.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Tack weld the bvggers in with an Arc Welder.  Job done, no filing

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well Dennis went away yesterday - until I popped out for the 'papers at which time the liquid component of it descended with renewed enthusiasm.  It subsequently calmed down again and that was it - until the Good Doctor 'phoned as she was about to leave Oxford after work to report it was all very nasty there and she might be delayed somewhat.  Fortunately the wind was allegedly blowing it away to the norther east (except for part of her route home where the opposite was happening despite the protestations of the seaweed down west.  Anyway she got home safely which was most welcome.

After yesterday's effort someone else went out for the 'paper and other shipping today - and of course it rained just as they got home.

As far as mushrooms are concerned I understand they are safe to consume and they alleged also reduce cholesterol although possibly teh butter I sauté them in might sort of counter balance that - but they are zero GI, as is bacon.  so my usual lunch is sautéed mushrooms plus a few rashers of bacon, and I'm still under 15st (er 'just').  Probably cutting out the double cream with the mushrooms has helped.   But as GDB knows I get to eat very few proper job breakfasts to the extent that it's easy to keep an annual tally of the ones I do have. (2 so far this year).

Hoping everyone keeps clear of the floods - or the floods keep clear of you.  And that the various lurgi go away before you get the strong arm of the NHS knocking on your doot instructing you to 'self isolate'

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip...  and his WW2 set.

Jamie

I have his "condensed" one-volume WW2 book "MEMOIRS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR". I find it a hard read, his writing style is different to what I am used to.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have his "condensed" one-volume WW2 book "MEMOIRS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR". I find it a hard read, his writing style is different to what I am used to.

I certainly find his writing easy to read, perhaps it's the 'condensing' that's made it difficult.  One of my favourite bits is his description of Hitler in Volume 1. It's a masterpiece.  I'll try and find it.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to read WSC's WWII memoirs, must try to get a copy, the un-expurgated version.

Mrs NHN's Grandfather made the plinth he sits on in Westerham, he was a stonemason of repute.  Paved Trafalgar Square and made gargoyles for Buck House too. We have a thank you letter from the Queen.  Not the Manx queen though...  ;-)  Lord of Man, but not Queen.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, 45156 said:

Morrisons do a rather nice (at least I think so) version at well under a quid a jar - it's got a fresher taste than Roses.  They also do a superior three fruits, but that is quite expensive - and at present Aldi have got the same at 99p

Unfortunately all products have to be low sugar these days as I try to keep slim and dodge being diabetic

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hard to take articles seriously with typographical errors in the first line. It makes me question their attention to accuracy.

I found the capitalization a little odd too. Is this normal in the maritime reporting world or a habit of this author / editor?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

... a full Indian ceremony and, in a tradition less often observed these days ...

According to a former colleague It can be expensive and difficult to find a facility that will permit ceremonial fires.

Most western wedding venues are in places where the fire marshal (or whatever the UK equivalent is, Wikipedia suggests Fire Safety Inspector ) would not permit open fires.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2