The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all (just) from a slightly damp Charente.  I've been and checked the fires at our friend's house. She, her daughter and grandson are en route after a rather rough crossing to Caen.  It's their first trip since Joan's husband John died in November. Bread, milk, butter and mouse poison has been purchased for them and the remains of two deceased mice have been incinerated. The house shoukd be warm for them when they arrive in an hour or so.  I've been out on a shopping expedition and have bought a new battery for the garden mower/tractor. The grass is growing well and needs a trim.  More shutter work is in order this afternoon. The rather tedious task of filing the holes in the hinges square will continue. Whoever built the shutters was lazy and left the nuts on the outside which us not terribly secure. 36 holes for each pair of shutters to go from a round 6mm hole to a square one.  What joy.

Regards to all and stay safe.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

6mm hole to a square one

Dad told me that producing a square hole was a task set for engineering apprentices when he was a lad. 
Morning all.

Quite a pleasant morning here, so we  will be off for a gentle walk somewhere. 
We stopped having milk delivered about 25 years ago. Something must have been wrong with the local distribution as it was often “off” when delivered.  Or delivered when we had cancelled. I just got fed up and started buying from the supermarket. When I was a child there were daily milk and bread deliveries. The  coop also had a laundry van. The coop milkman used to be paid in tokens that Mum bought at the shop. The laundry was Dad’s cow gowns, like a lab coat worn on the factory floor. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Missing verb
  • Like 19

Greetings all from a cloudy LBG.

The weekend saw a very wet and windy Sidcup. Next door's fence broke a panel where he had replaced it last year, and then tried to cement it in. He's decided he will have to pay to get some proper concrete fence posts - for the top end of the garden; the fence has them further down. I think many years ago, the owners of our respective houses were related. It would not surprise me to learn that there had been a gate or even a gap in the fence. The old day he bought from lived there much longer than her daughter had lived in our house, but both houses have or had idiosyncracies; his had a solid plate of glass in front of the French windows; ours has a very strange sequence of light switches that is presumably designed to allow someone to move into the house and up the stairs turning the lights on and off as you go; they have long since been out of sequence, but you get things like turning the porch light on will turn off the hall light.

Marmalade - never liked it In fact I don't like anything orange flavoured, although I do like oranges. Mrs Lurker knows that if I buy her chocolate orange, it's a gift I have no intention of sharing with her!

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lime Marmalade for me, never got that bitter stuff, we had the Roses stuff for as long as I can remember as a kid, a Weetabix with a slice of butter about an eight of an inch thick and as much Lime on it as would fit was a snack me and my little brothers made for ourselves in the late 1950's/ early 1960's...…………………….

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Lime Marmalade for me, never got that bitter stuff, we had the Roses stuff for as long as I can remember as a kid, a Weetabix with a slice of butter about an eight of an inch thick and as much Lime on it as would fit was a snack me and my little brothers made for ourselves in the late 1950's/ early 1960's...…………………….

I like the flavour of lime marmalade. But limes have such thin skins and I do like some good thick cut peel in marmalade.

My favourite is lemon but I also like grapefruit or mixed fruit marmalade.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning owl from the Piedmont.

I have a T-shirt that shows:

I AM NOT LAZY

I JUST LIKE DOING NOTHING

That is my plan for today, other that reading more of Manchester's THE LAST LION    WINSTON S. CHURCHILL     ALONE     1932 - 1945  I have all three volumes and have finished the first; the third awaits my finishing of this one. A couple of more weeks of reading.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Good morning owl from the Piedmont.

I have a T-shirt that shows:

I AM NOT LAZY

I JUST LIKE DOING NOTHING

That is my plan for today, other that reading more of Manchester's THE LAST LION    WINSTON S. CHURCHILL     ALONE     1932 - 1945  I have all three volumes and have finished the first; the third awaits my finishing of this one. A couple of more weeks of reading.

I like your plan. I've also read them and found out a lot about WSC. I've also got Churchill's History of the E glish Soeaking Peoples and his WW2 set. 

Jamie

• Like 18

8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

PS. When I was about 10 years old myself a friend used to "invent" different sandwich fillings. My best effort was Marmalade and Mustard. :D

Did you actually eat them?

Reminds me of a game very occasionally played late in an evening in the pub. One person made up a drink, another paid for it, and a third drank it. The almost sensible version restricted the ingredients to drinks - the ridiculous version allowed anything for sale at the bar.

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

PS. When I was about 10 years old myself a friend used to "invent" different sandwich fillings. My best effort was Marmalade and Mustard. :D

Marmite and strawberry jam works ok......

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Used to buy (Sainsbury's) thick cut orange & ginger marmalade but one day couple of years ago picked up a jar of ginger preserve by mistake (same design labelling etc.) and ever since then have been getting up on ginger preserve. Funny, I've always regarded Marmalade as something for breakfast and would never have it later in the day, that's the time for jam especially in the summer with scones and cream - with the cream on the top of the jam! Somehow marmalade with scones and cream does not sound right.

Going further back in time (late 50s/early 60s) bread was delivered by RACS (Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society) horse and red coloured cart whilst milk came from an Express Dairy blue & white electric van...… and, of course, the postman delivered three times a day!

On my last visit up there Harley Davidson had taken over the Express Dairy depot

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, pH said:

Reminds me of a game very occasionally played late in an evening in the pub. One person made up a drink, another paid for it, and a third drank it. The almost sensible version restricted the ingredients to drinks - the ridiculous version allowed anything for sale at the bar.

The worst I ever heard of was gin and the juice from a jar of cockles

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morrisons do a rather nice (at least I think so) version at well under a quid a jar - it's got a fresher taste than Roses.  They also do a superior three fruits, but that is quite expensive - and at present Aldi have got the same at 99p

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, pH said:

Did you actually eat them?

Yes! I I really liked them. :yes:  My friend didn't.  :notme:

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Just had a power cut for an hour, which totally stuffed a good chunk of "Sink The Bismark" on telly.

No telly

No Lights

No internet

No Radio

No S*ldering Irons

At least I've got a gas cooker, so toast and marmite wasn't interrupted.  Plus a few candles in the cupboards.

WW3?  The first to take out the Power Stations wins....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12