The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think I was aware of the first version of RMWeb. By the time I joined Early  risers did exist. My first post there was to help Ddolfelin work out how much his dehumidifiers were going to cost after the floods. My account like many had to be reset after the 2009 (I think) upgrade. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Dennis has been and gone, in fact I looked out about an hour or two ago and there wasn't much cloud about. Only problem is it was dusk so there was no sunshine except for a red sunset reflected  off the clouds to the east. I joined RMweb just before the 2009 reset though for the life of me I can't remember how I discovered it.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I think its somewhat  baaahhd to  mention  food to someone with novovirus. 

Dhahran as a civilian airport was closed as of the end of 1999, you now have to venture up to Damman airport,  it's vastly bigger but no better. Driving up to the new airport at night was terrifying.. 

It was somewhat obvious the Saudi women changing to the black gear as the plane crossed to Saudi airspace.. Occasionally even the males would change from a suit into their white gear.. 

Not surprisingly I'm Not going to work tomorrow ...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I’ve  just got back from watching Newcastle Falcons play. Fortunately the rain that absolutely lashed down this morning and as we drove back gave the game a miss.  Unfortunately the wind didn’t.  I feel a bit sorry for the Cornish Pirate’s fans who made a 500ish mile  each way trip whilst their team it would appear hadn’t.  Actually the game showed the huge gulf between even a relegated Premiership team and the rest of the Championship.  GDB and one or two others will understand what I am whittering about.

Enjoy what is left of your weekend.  This meal and glass of red before me says I will.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Lazy day today. Been listening to lots of rain falling with the odd break. There was even a 5 minute glimmer of sunshine at one stage.

Rugby watched and The Bears upset The Saints who at one stage were  14-0 up . Ooops.

Fillet steak was deployed, demolished and declared delightful by The Boss. I thought so too. :whistle: It was accompanied by a couple of glasses of Aussie Malbec and another one or two are imminent.  :drinks:

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Hope everyone is OK after the visit from Dennis. Nothing from our house sitter..yet..so fingers crossed.

If our cyclone visited I didnt hear it. But due to the cyclones etc the temperatures here are higher than usual..28°C forecast for today. There is still a wind and rain warning iin place.

Dan Dare...didn't seem as bad as white knuckle airlines (Britannia) which is now part of Tui.

Stay safe and dry!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Like 17

Dundee spent vast amounts of money on flood defences and when the first big rain arrives...……………………………………..someone forgot to close the gates, so the road is now part of the Tay. Some one is in for a sore backside at work in the morning I think.

• Friendly/supportive 17

Our preferred supermarket has got the Seville oranges in at last, so a major task this week will be the annual making of marmalade. My wife talked to the grocery department manager while picking them up. He said it's all ex-pat Brits that ask when they'll be getting the oranges in. Worryingly, he also said they've always got their Seville oranges from the same grower in California, who is now considering taking out those trees and planting some other crop - he thinks he can make more money with something else. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

We didn’t bother to go and collect our shopping today. Aditi thinks tomorrow will be nicer weather for a walk. The shopping is only stuff for the vacuum cleaner so not urgent. I don’t have any medical appointments until Friday which is nice. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I carried on until I came to a stand at the signal protecting Walsall station, once more the oracle spoke and informed me that part of the station was flooded and he'd have to instruct me to pass the signal at danger, proceed at caution along the slow and examine the line which I duly did, noting that the fast lines round the back platform were partially submerged at one end,

@Rugd1022, you'll appreciate this then:

2103959176_FloodatWalsallStation1886.jpg.7c10ace402143df04cebdc8d6a54ef67.jpg

The train is Midland (via the Sutton Park line) but the boat looks LNWR to me.

11 minutes ago, pH said:

Our preferred supermarket has got the Seville oranges in at last, so a major task this week will be the annual making of marmalade. My wife talked to the grocery department manager while picking them up. He said it's all ex-pat Brits that ask when they'll be getting the oranges in. Worryingly, he also said they've always got their Seville oranges from the same grower in California, who is now considering taking out those trees and planting some other crop - he thinks he can make more money with something else. 

It seems to have been an early season in Seville - by the time I looked at our local fruit stalls, they'd been and gone. I'm down to my penultimate jar of last year's marmalade - dated 22 Feb 2019!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:
16 minutes ago, pH said:

It seems to have been an early season in Seville - by the time I looked at our local fruit stalls, they'd been and gone. I'm down to my penultimate jar of last year's marmalade - dated 22 Feb 2019!

There were boxes of organic Seville oranges in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago but Aditi decided we had enough marmalade from last year. Of course this week she changed her mind but there were none available. 

• Like 8
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

There were boxes of organic Seville oranges in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago 

I have a strong reluctance to paying Waitrose prices when they can be had for a fraction of the price from our market fruit & veg merchants - if they're available! 

Looks like its golden shred for me...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

How much would a jar of home-made be worth to you? :D.  In fact, the grocery manager asked my wife how many jars she gave away - he said everybody he talks to about making marmalade gives some away.

(And we do.)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

@pH, if I had a jar for every one of your duplicate posts, I'd be well set up! (Something up with the software tonight?)

I did once give a couple of jars to my sister-in-law's family. We visited some months later. The jars had not been touched, my supplies were running low, so I took them back...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I have a strong reluctance to paying Waitrose prices when they can be had for a fraction of the price from our market fruit & veg merchants - if they're available! 

When we went to Seville they were growing on trees and just dropping in the road...

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

@pH, if I had a jar for every one of your duplicate posts, I'd be well set up! (Something up with the software tonight?)

Aaaaargh!! - yes, there is!

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I did once give a couple of jars to my sister-in-law's family. We visited some months later. The jars had not been touched, my supplies were running low, so I took them back...

We took a couple of jars to our son and daughter-in-law. Next year, we took a couple of jars again. They confessed that they didn't like marmalade (we hadn't made marmalade while son was young, so we didn't know) and had given the previous year's to friends who do like it. Rather than take that year's jars back, we said just re-gift those, too. However, the grandsons have since had marmalade while visiting us and liked it, so the odd jar will still be given.

• Like 19