The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hope everyone celebrates the beating and beheading of an obscure Christian martyr today with cards, flowers and chocolates, or <insert your particular form of devotion here> for your significant other.

Me, I'm delighted to be unattached on February 14.

EDIT:

Google's launchpad page for today (linked to their doodle) introduced me to a new (yet another) invented portmanteau word: "erocosplay". (It's for naughty role play outfits to save you looking it up.)

I also can't help making note of the number of "Valentine's Day" cocktails I've seen on TV today. I guess "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker" really means something today.

A news anchor segued to the weather forecast tonight saying "Cupid will be wearing a little raincoat as he flies around tomorrow huh?" It is forecast to rain tomorrow (the 14th here). This resulted in me laughing out loud but I was reading more into this than he meant.

As I asked on my status. What, short of a massacre, is the Saint Valentine’s Day version of Bah humbug?

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

I experienced a landing like that once (several times, actually).

Whilst leaving the aircraft I asked the First Officer, who was doing his customer relations bit up front, "Did we land, or were we shot down?"

He remained stoney-faced, whilst cabin crew struggled not to crack up.....

Pretty much any landing with a 737 seems to be like this. The undercarriage must be amazingly robust to put up with that sort of treatment.

When I queried it once, I was told that is how pilots are trained to land 737s. Certainly find that I experience fewer rough landings with Airbus planes (usually Easyjet).

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps VD should be re marketed as the day we love ourselves.

After all you wouldn't want to give VD to anyone else!

Apart from the rather to obvious link to Billy Connoly's skit about the clinic for anti social diseases this reminds me of a certain Leeds Criminal Solicitor Namely the late Victor Zermansky. He had the personalised registration VD2 with a subtly altered 2.  Some of my colleagues had pulled him up for displayi g an illegal number but he had won his case on appeal.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright sunshine but cold this morning. I was going to clear the garden shed this weekend and see what can be rescued from the contents, hopefully the skip will be here long enough for me to help fill it.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

I did get a Valentine card. It was from the dog I sponsor at the Dogs’ Trust. Aditi told me he hadn’t signed it himself.
Tony

There was an item on BBC breakfast this morning, apparently you can get a valentine card for your pet. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Pretty much any landing with a 737 seems to be like this. The undercarriage must be amazingly robust to put up with that sort of treatment.

When I queried it once, I was told that is how pilots are trained to land 737s.

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was told by a friend who had just trained on 737's that you have to 'fly'them onto the runway, similar to a carrier landing with no flare on the approach. As Baz has aluded it's probably to do with the wing design. 

It's to ensure the microswitches in the undercarriage legs are triggered to allow reverse thrust to  be activated once on the ground - see my earlier post above on the 737 running off the runway at Kelowna in 1986.

As I said in that post, the full report on that accident appears to have been archived offline, but the need to 'land hard' was described in that report, and the crew actually discussed it on the approach to Kelowna.

Edited by pH
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Mornin'

It's a bit too early to get out mi (Travelodge) bed yet as I can't have brekkie 'til 07:00.

Tea it is then. :)

Did a bit o' work and then a true POETS event.

Decided to visit (en route home) that there museum of the Green Wet and Rusty at 82C, all I can report is that I am pleased I had a complimentary ticket. I would've been mightily disappointed if I'd paid the full £9.80 admission ticket price.

Currently aboard a Jap built green 'thing' en route via 85B to 17B.

All that tr@in info without mentioning tr@ins, the awl will be pleased. :)

• Like 13
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

An early start for Mrs NHN to collect her new bike before the rain started - just made it.  Wet 'n' windy now.  Bike breakfast club attended, strongest thing drunk was an Americano.

Not yet sure what the afternoon will bring, with this strong wind the garage isn't too pleasant to inhabit - where the 'things' reside.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AndyID said:

Just to the right of the runway are the ski slopes. If you zoom-in a helluva lot you might be able to make me out. I'll be the one in a kilt.

Actually Telluride is quite a place and well worth a visit but I only drive to get there.

I was watching the VASI all the way down and it is interesting to note that the pilot kept the aircraft above the glide slop all the way down.

I suppose it is better to step out of a wreck at the far end of the runway rather than climb out of a hole at the near end!

• Like 9
  • Agree 7