The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, AndyB said:

My car certainly has some kind of pee in it. I was curious what the "blue" meant in the model type. Apparently there's a tank of urea and water. Curious how it ends up as blue and not green though.

I think diesels can only meet the Euro6 emission regulations by using AdBlu. However on some German cars “blue” was used in eco model names  as green is a political party. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

If we go into a Spoons for breakfast just before 9am there is often loads of people waiting for the top of the hour to start ordering alcohol. I do remember being in one in Leicester (this one now boarded up) one Sunday morning where a woman was leaning on the bar trying to stay upright after a heavy night on the booze waiting for 9am. The staff still served her despite the state she was in.

I have had similar 'Spoon's" experiences at the one in Dover. It has been in the Good Beer Guide for 10 years. Does not say much for other pubs in that part of Kent.

When "Spoon's" started, it had all sorts of ideas about replicating "proper pubs". All that has gone out of the window in pursuit of naked profit. I usually avoid them now.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

If we go into a Spoons for breakfast just before 9am there is often loads of people waiting for the top of the hour to start ordering alcohol. I do remember being in one in Leicester (this one now boarded up) one Sunday morning where a woman was leaning on the bar trying to stay upright after a heavy night on the booze waiting for 9am. The staff still served her despite the state she was in.

One for Baz, Dunedin station with the weekday service train from Christchurch to Invercargill back in 1994. It was dark and wet by the time we got to Invercargill so no shots of the station. Shame that the train doesn't run anymore.

AroundWorld1994 (263).jpg

Morning owl from an overly warm (for the season) Piedmont. Off to lunch at Gene's and a new (to me) 2m/70cm antenna.

The loco above looks like a US export model, ALCo or maybe GE; I like it, especially as it appears to be narrow-gauge.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Afternoon all. Fast hello as I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes. I've cut my anti-social media way back and apart from a couple of fecesbook posts I'm staying offline as much as possible. Very cathartic. 

Loads of carp happening here. Too much really for a single post. Highlights are, Most of March working in Rotterdam. Small chance it may become permanent. Beer fest this weekend. Fence is shredded but had already ordered a metal replacement so that gets done on Monday. Ring camera in alley captured some flytipping scum. Video forwarded to the plod along with the vehicle registration. Next door finally moved out. New owner is a Chinese company (2 brothers and parents) that tries to "upmarket" homes in unusual areas. With that, the place is gutted, scaffolded, and a full interior rebuild going on including a 2 room loft conversion. The upside is they are removing the whole chimney stack on the party wall. The work done 2 years ago has left a leak. I get that fixed for free. The one little guy working has done more work in the past week than my English builders did in a month. Speaking of which, he has actually stuck to the court ordered repayment schedule. 

That's about it from me. Enjoy the day, week, month, etc. 

Nice to see a post from you Andrew, looking forward to the next one whenever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Maybe 6 or 7 years ago I was at a meeting in Manchester. Having taken a (very) early train from Durham I had about an hour to spare before the meeting so looked for somewhere to grab a sandwich or something.  I came across  a ‘spoons’ opposite the hotel where the meeting was to be held.  It was my first time in one  - and the first time I had seen anyone drinking alcohol at that time of the morning. Frightening.

The one in Leigh that Aditi visited was mainly Mums drinking coffee, with children in pushchairs.The Waitrose over the road doesn’t have a cafe.

Tony

• Like 19

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

My car certainly has some kind of pee in it. I was curious what the "blue" meant in the model type. Apparently there's a tank of urea and water. Curious how it ends up as blue and not green though.

As does my truck. I've heard DEF referred to as "sea lion whizz". Get mine at Costco. It doesn't have a long shelf life and my truck doesn't seem to use much so I only half-fill the tank. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

Blu needs replacing at intervals and costs=a=packet but the current car does seem to run better than its predecessor.

Rant coming - has anyone else using BT found that you can no longer get BT News - Latest UK and World News headlines - in any shape or form.  All you get is BTTV adverts of how good its range of programmes is becoming what ever you press.   Need an alternative as home page - and of course free.  Rant over.  Also found that McAfee does not install - at least not in the last few months - so use a Mac one instead but still paying for the McAfee.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Blu needs replacing at intervals and costs=a=packet but the current car does seem to run better than its predecessor.

Rant coming - has anyone else using BT found that you can no longer get BT News - Latest UK and World News headlines - in any shape or form.  All you get is BTTV adverts of how good its range of programmes is becoming what ever you press.   Need an alternative as home page - and of course free.  Rant over.  Also found that McAfee does not install - at least not in the last few months - so use a Mac one instead but still paying for the McAfee.

Peter, I've got BT Phone and Broadband and BT Virus Protect/ Mcafee is included with my package. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Adblue..it is great for wrecking tarmac...and getting diesel engines past Euro6 emission rules. Despite claims to the contrary when youngest Herberts company Audi A4 diesel warned him it needed adblue he poured some in..onto our drive..which shows the scars! The same asblue got into the engine (possibly via a leaking gasket) and wrecked the engine. Audi refused to change the engine as he had put adblu into the adblu tank!.. vorsprung durch technic..translates into forward by trying to blind customers with science in Audis case.

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

But is that working on a Mac?

I have PCs and Macs, the BT Mcafee product claims to be suitable for both. It is “free” for two devices and you can pay for more devices. I don’t use it anyway, I use another paid for product (10 devices PC, Mac, Android) that I am happy with.

I have been with BT for years for internet and I’ve never used their home page. I just use google.co.uk.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

News from Burger King NZ. They have invented a chip butty! Complete with Tommy sauce and mayonnaise!

Baz

They'll be claiming the deep fried Mars bar next (other suitable bars are available)

6 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Pretty sure the 'Spoons near here in LA serves alcohol from 08:00 but don't usually get there that early!

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1