The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We’ve currently got a bit of sunshine, but we had rain earlier on this morning, thankfully the wind has also died down, I might even go outside and stand the 2 camellia plants upright, I didn’t see the point when it was still windy. This morning’s task will to be make a tray of rocky road so that Sheila can take it with her to her Zumba class tomorrow. There is a tradition that requires them to take cakes in on their birthday, but as hers is Sunday and she can’t make Monday morning’s class, it has to be tomorrow.  

Ah, kitchen’s free, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry and sunny here, the wind has calmed down a bit thank goodness. We await Storm Dennis on Saturday which means a modelling day as we won't be going anywhere though it is forecast to be less severe than it has been recently.

Otherwise not a lot to report.

So Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 19

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Of the top of my head I can think of Honolulu (HNL), San Francisco (SFO)*, Oakland (OAK), Vancouver (YVR) and Nice / Côte d'Azur, all of which have major runways built either in the water or ending right at the water's edge. I have experienced all of these. For most of them the 'rabbit' approach landing beacons are on pylons in the water.

Of those I have only not flown into Oakland. I can add Faro where planes fly over the airport out to sea and turn round to fly back in, and Schipohl which is built on land reclaimed from the sea. In some ways it makes sense - a plane ditching in the sea might kill all on board rather than hundreds in surrounding housing.

Greetings from LBG, where it is cold, sunny and less windy than previously this week.

However there is not a lot else to report - I hope that those who are suffering improve.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Been a busy one so far with test running weathered locos and then installing a sound decoder - all crust earning.

I have also saved over £150 on one of our cars insurance yet staying with same company. However renewing my annual travel insurance has added £70 to it as a change in policy from last year, they now add that much for me being on the same prescription as last year and the year before. Thought it better to renew now rather than nearer the time we travel.

Flown into San Diego a number of times, always bumpy as we pass over Balboa Park. Stayed in a hotel with excellent views of planes coming into land.

SanDiego2009_(19).JPG.090a4b56e7ec6d9725087683a4f6931c.JPG

However Hong Kong Kai Tak was the best

1838802706_AroundWorld1994(83).jpg.74be90aa2f0e7fdff669499e7c02f4ff.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Many more buzz words spoken, much of which I have no idea what they are on about..

The new American Director above our USA head of calibration hasn't got the idea yet she's now boss of all parts of the world,, She's just sent an email all about those using the coffee machine outside her office..

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t.  Invent some acronyms and abbreviations with a mate for the next meeting in retaliation.  Chances are they'll not ask what they mean, for fear of looking stupid.

Let me guess - this coffee machine is for executive use only.  All other plebs use the grotty one that makes crap coffee in the next building/floor below....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The runway which crosses it is the longest one, 16R/34L with a small aircraft just lined up on it.

When I was teaching bearings and in particular back bearings, I started with aerial photographs of runways and asked if any one could see a connection between the numbers.  A surprising number spotted it.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.  

The memsahib is today lunching with former flatmates in some Eyetalian dive 'modern casual dining establishment' somewhere off, just about, the Charing Cross Road so dinner this evening will probably take place in a local 'Indian' restaurant -one of a couple in the town which is pretty good at what it does.  The one which used to do some rather good delivered food went distinctly down hill in terms of quality and consistency after a visit from the Immigration authorities enforced a major 'reorganisation' of its kitchen staff.

My dad used to get most upset about next door pinching about two feet off the garden in one place when they built their retaining wall.  i was never sure if he was right about that and if they actually nicked anything it was too steep to stand upright on and he only got going about it in his final decade or so but he was getting a bit paranoid anyway alas.  As a solicitor once pointed out when we were talking about boundaries what would happen if you scaled up a boundary line drawn on a map or deed - it would be quite wide.   And it can work the other way round - somebody in North Yorkhsire County Council wrote to tell me that I owned a piece of land I didn't know anything about, not that it's much bigger than a small tablecloth and only worth about 6d in old money.  However a planned roundabout was likely to impinge on it so they needed to find out who they had to pay for the pleasure (the roundabout has not been built, they found a cheaper way to alter the junction layout).

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Schipohl which is built on land reclaimed from the sea. 

It is I believe the only airport built on the site of a sea battle. I have vague  memories of a report of cannonballs being dug up when some building work was done. Now why can't I remember the latest set of orders posted by the Ayatolliah.....

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Morning owl from a cloudy Piedmont.

Two more airports that deal with water: Washington National and the Potomac River, Portland Oregon and the Columbia River.

Also LaGuardia. A plane did go into the drink there a few years ago.

Flights into Paisley (aka  Glasgow) usually come in over the river which is not far from the end of the runway.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Was a very early riser this morning; in the office at 6.45. A junior colleague had to be in early to do some work, so I figured it'd be good form to do an early start too. 

A propos the new diesel car, can anyone tell me what the advantages of the more expensive "ultimate diesel" fuel are over the cheaper varieties. There's about a 15p to 25p per litre difference hereabouts. 

Is it fuel efficiency, better for the engine, save the planet..?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Airport approached over water? Wellington, funchal , belfast (landing there in a F27 was fun), new Hong Kong (not as much fun as the old one) cairns..you sort of slide in sideways... avoid the mountain at the land end of the run way taking off though.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1