The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Tis darn cold and windy out there but no precipitation is forecast. 

Talking about windy places,  How about the shortest scheduled flight.. 

All 2 minutes 57seconds of the video.. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This might or might not be connected to the storm >>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51444749 A former girlfriend used to live in road where it happened.  

Other photographs have appeared in the local press and it looks as if its right outside my former girlfriends home. Not that she's likely to still be living there as we were dating 47/48 years ago.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The most interesting landing I’ve been on was coming into Pearson airport at Toronto. Planes usually approach the airport overland from the east, but we were flying in from Boston and for some reason (which I can’t remember) we had to approach the airport over Lake Ontario. There was quite a bit of turbulence caused by the water, but I thoroughly enjoyed this approach, however, there were quite a few passengers who didn’t like the bumpy ride as we were descending over the lake. You don’t realise how big that lake is until you fly over and across it!

The first ever landing I experienced was into Toronto Pearson over the lake, in a thunderstorm, on a flight from Prestwick. Until then, I had been under the mistaken impression that aircraft wings were rigid. Watching the wings of a 707 flexing several feet changed that impression. (It also reminded me that some early 707s had dropped engines.)

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Landing at Curacao (Netherlands Antilles) was always fun - the runway ends on the beach at one end and hills the other.

I think you may mean Sint Maarten:

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, pH said:

The first ever landing I experienced was into Toronto Pearson over the lake, in a thunderstorm, on a flight from Prestwick. Until then, I had been under the mistaken impression that aircraft wings were rigid. Watching the wings of a 707 flexing several feet changed that impression. (It also reminded me that some early 707s had dropped engines.)

There was a story that the brackets that held the engines were made of magnesium so that an engine would fall off if it caught fire. I suspect that was nonsense.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A close colleague flew Bucaneers in the RN. He mentioned one trick when practicing night-time carrier landings. Try and be the last crew to have a go. That way there'd be a chance of seeing the first hint of dawn to get a horizon. I guess like they say at Tesco. Every little bit helps. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I guess like they say at Tesco. Every little bit helps. 

Isn't that 'Every lidl helps'? (Other brands are available but some fit better than others, especially here around Lidlhampton!) :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 17

Coincidentally I've just been reading that there is still a much debate about what produces lift on aircraft wings. I'm keeping well out of it!

It's in Scientific American and you might be able to read it at this link

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-one-can-explain-why-planes-stay-in-the-air/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Isn't that 'Every lidl helps'? (Other brands are available but some fit better than others, especially here around Lidlhampton!) :jester:

Perhaps this would have been more arresting as a slogan for my mate. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Busy day ahead..mugacaff required first!

I must return to a second hand bookshop next door tou apartment today. He has an awful lot of railway books....

Landing and taking off in Funchal can be interesting..as is taking off in Cairns.

Most of the landings we had in India were similar to the one HH had in a VC10..STOL...

Hope the snow abates BoD...

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Coincidentally I've just been reading that there is still a much debate about what produces lift on aircraft wings. I'm keeping well out of it!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-one-can-explain-why-planes-stay-in-the-air/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

According to another learned source.

"The art, or knack, to flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Gib always worried me - runway in the water at both ends!  Ronaldsway of course has lights in the sea too, and in a school field at the other end.  What do you mean you have never heard of our airport....LOL

Only roughie I had was a go-around at Muscat, after having landed nicely but half way down the runway, as described up-thread somewhere.  So the 747 dropped a gear (OK, went to TOGA power) and went like hell, low fuel load meant performance was impressive for a big bird.  As was my grip on the seat.....ahem.

Still blowing a hoolie here, ferry has only managed one round trip since Saturday morning and has been cancelled again this evening.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I could read it. Interesting . The kind of physics I studied wasn't about big things like aeroplanes fortunately. I do remember someone explaining flight getting peeved when I innocently asked how that explained planes flying upside down'

• Funny 16

35 minutes ago, AndyID said:

rnM8zTwh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

37 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

... wants to do it all again, just to get to a 1st birthday party on May 1st, and at the end of May.

I can't imagine La Manche being much more reliable or predictable by then. Glad you are home safely. Best of luck come May Day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I can't imagine La Manche being much more reliable or predictable by then. Glad you are home safely. Best of luck come May Day.

Even going “Tunnel sous la Manche” we were once delayed by high winds. The OHLE  on the French side had been damaged. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 3