The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Morning all.

I first recall hearing the term "heavy wind" used by a Dutch cyclist whom I met when I also engaged in pedalling two wheels around the countryside.  It seemed logical - heavy rain, heavy snow, heavy wind ..... though I have yet to hear of heavy fog or heavy sun.  

High wind on the other hand might imply that there is no low wind and therefore the air at ground level will remain still.  

What ever it is it is still blowing outside though nowhere near as violently as of late.  Yet as I write this the phone has "pinged" with a warning of Yellow Wind for next weekend when Storm Dennis arrives.

It seems there is no escape for the time being.  

Since the effect most experienced due to wind is the lateral force it exerts, "strong wind" does seem the most apt term. Since weight is a force acting downwards, a "heavy wind" ought to be a strong downdraught. However, "high" implies not only a linear measurement but also simply a quantity having a big numerical value, so "high wind" is perfectly logical.

On the other hand, the English language is not the place to go looking for logic!

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Not much happening here just trying to arrange the new kitchen to turn up before the fitter arrives on the given day he's reliable he done the bathroom in the old house 

he did mention as the slapped #rse is not about things can be decided upon installation rather than wait for someone to make their little tiny mind up yes he didn't like her either.

Painting continues today some has been done it will have to dry before I continue with another colour, wood work to be started tomorrow at least its clean and ready to go just the 

odd bits of filler to be sanded.

Have a good day :superman:T.H. Inkina-Boutit

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land.  Like ChrisF and Kz my lurgi seems to come and go as it pleases. It obviously doesn't like the great outdoors as when I venture out it seems to go into hiding. The wind is still blowing, a skip was delivered and placed on the weed patch that is my front garden. As it was delivered it swung a bit but was delivered safely. Its actually for next door were they are replacing the flat roof but their bits will not fill it completely so I'll help them fill it up.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Morning all. 

Reading Dave's post where he mentions mv^2 reminded me that there was a proposal last week to ban SUVs because the extra mass was "very dangerous to pedestrians if you hit them". 

Erm.

Far be it for me to get on my high horse / SUV and point out that you can see said pedestrians much better in the first place.

I wonder how many of those pedestrians stepped into the road staring at their mobiles?

• Agree 15

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Morning all.

I first recall hearing the term "heavy wind" used by a Dutch cyclist whom I met when I also engaged in pedalling two wheels around the countryside.  It seemed logical - heavy rain, heavy snow, heavy wind ..... though I have yet to hear of heavy fog or heavy sun.  

High wind on the other hand might imply that there is no low wind and therefore the air at ground level will remain still.  

What ever it is it is still blowing outside though nowhere near as violently as of late.  Yet as I write this the phone has "pinged" with a warning of Yellow Wind for next weekend when Storm Dennis arrives.

You mentioned Dutch cyclists. >>

https://road.cc/content/news/271009-dutch-national-headwind-championships-abandoned-due-wind-video

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

...Yet as I write this the phone has "pinged" with a warning of Yellow Wind for next weekend when Storm Dennis arrives.

Would it be improper if I reminded readers not to eat Yellow Snow - something that is I believe landing on our friends north of that wall? :D

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not only but also.  Every Dutch cyclist I ever met rode those bikes and never the multi-geared touring machines more often seen on our roads.  Yet they pedalled uphill and down dale and often managed Cornish hills which had me down to "granny" gear.  Though I daresay my legs had a slightly easier time of it! 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Have any of you taken off and landed at the airport on Fuerteventura? I seem to recall someone said it is extremely short on the runway, I found it most entertaining, quite a few on the plane said they wouldn't go there again. 

I am convinced that when flying with Aer Lingus  I once landed on a runway that was much, much wider than it was long!

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

GDB + 1 fence panel + a strong wind, what could possibly go wrong?:P

Ha! Nearly an HIA    :banghead:and panel is in somewhat of a sorry state but I've wedged it back in with the aid of a spade and a club hammer. No way could I lift a 6ft panel above my head on my own and in this wind wouldn't even attempt it with help.  A new panel is required at some some stage and there's a couple of others that I'll change at the same time. This one is about 15 years old and didn't cost me as I salvaged it when next door changed their fence about 4 years ago.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The most 'interesting' landing I have experienced was into Corfu in a Dan-Air Comet. The runway threshold was on a beach at the end of a narrow sea inlet with rocky hills on either side. As the aircraft came into land you looked up to see the houses and villas either side above you. As soon as the plane touched down the brakes went full on. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The most interesting landing I’ve been on was coming into Pearson airport at Toronto. Planes usually approach the airport overland from the east, but we were flying in from Boston and for some reason (which I can’t remember) we had to approach the airport over Lake Ontario. There was quite a bit of turbulence caused by the water, but I thoroughly enjoyed this approach, however, there were quite a few passengers who didn’t like the bumpy ride as we were descending over the lake. You don’t realise how big that lake is until you fly over and across it!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from LBG where it is sunny but where the wind has picked up enormously, no doubt exacerbated by the presence of the Shard. On my way home yesterday, I spotted a tree had come down during the day, and when the sky got light enough this morning I realised some our garden furniture had gone for a trip down the garden, knocking over the potted Christmas tree. They were retrieved/righted. We also appear to have inherited a frisbee. I assume it had been stuck in a tree somewhere, but may be someone thought they would see how far it went; it certainly wasn't going back to the thrower!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

There's always this one... the runway is in the sea.. at high tide...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barra+Airport/@57.0243408,-7.4485472,376m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x488cbf4110d91b7b:0x2fbb09f3fcd5a692!8m2!3d57.025424!4d-7.4494001

yep they land on the beach at low tide..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I have done Fuerteventura. Other "interesting" airports I have "enjoyed" include Marseilles Maritime - not for no reason is it called Maritime! A  similar siting exists at Venice. Landing at Curacao (Netherlands Antilles) was always fun - the runway ends on the beach at one end and hills the other. The old Hong Kong airport involved dropping between the city's skyscraper slums and the other end was over the harbour, very close to the berth used by tankers to deliver oil products. Power blackouts or windlass problems on those tankers in the '60's and '70's were rather embarrassing, you would probably have been shot by the present regime were it not for the airport being relocated onto a new island built from reclaimed waste!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Yes, landing at Hong Kong's Kai Tak airport was interesting. Before dropping between the skyscraper slums the plane was heading for a chequerboard on the side of the mountain and at the last moment would do a sharp righthand turn and there just ahead was the runway.

I often flew in on a NWA 747 from Tokyo and many times got the window seat on the first row on the main deck in the nose of the plane from which you could just about see the chequerboard that the plane was heading for...… interesting!

Luckily no planes made contact with the chequerboard (although a couple of planes did ditch into the harbour when landing the other way) but I was told that the hospital closest to the airport was built with very wide passages etc. so that if a plane did come down they would have enough space to deal with all the trolleys etc.

Keith

• Like 18