The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Bl@@dy RMweb keeps locking up on my mobile but hopefully works this time.

My brother in HK is also having mobile issues as his face recognition wont work on his iPhone

IMG-20200209-WA0000.jpg

It's not entirely clear those masks do the slightest bit of good other than being "fever flags". What's worse is what happens to them when they are discarded. They should be incinerated immediately.

• Like 3
  • Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Now you're cooking with gas. Hydrogen gas....

I note:

To help support the pickup, Nikola is also planning to build 700 new hydrogen filling stations in an effort to combat the overall shortage. Nikola says the locations of the first stations have been locked in, with more details to come.

They do not indicate how they are generating the hydrogen - a notoriously 'energy expensive' process. Perhaps being in Arizona they have a big solar farm to generate the power needed to product hydrogen on an industrial scale without using fossil fuels.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

If you don't break-through the ground effect you're liable to skate the entire length of the the runway like a hockey puck ;).  I think they sometimes apply reverse thrust even before the tires make contact - or at least some landings feel like that. I prefer it when the pilot "nails it" to the runway even if it means a bit of a bounce.

You can say that again!

• Funny 15

Just now, AndyID said:

It's not entirely clear those masks do the slightest bit of good other than being "fever flags"

They are useful in thwarting the surveillance apparatus employing extensive facial recognition used in some countries (like ones that that sound like Dinah).

(A variation on my duplicated post that was deleted.)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. 

Reading Dave's post where he mentions mv^2 reminded me that there was a proposal last week to ban SUVs because the extra mass was "very dangerous to pedestrians if you hit them". 

Erm.

Far be it for me to get on my high horse / SUV and point out that you can see said pedestrians much better in the first place.

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I note:

They do not indicate how they are generating the hydrogen - a notoriously 'energy expensive' process. Perhaps being in Arizona they have a big solar farm to generate the power needed to product hydrogen on an industrial scale without using fossil fuels.

Generating hydrogen is very inefficient, but a lot of wind, tidal, and even solar energy isn't utilized because there is nowhere to store the excess energy. Releasing hydrogen from water is one method of storing that energy. Inefficient as it is, at the present, it's probably the most effective way of storing Terrestrial energy anywhere on the Earth's surface.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

4 minutes ago, AndyB said:

you can see said pedestrians much better in the first place

Can you really?

I will happily stipulate that the view from an SUV to the sides (over crash barriers and other obstacles) is far superior as is the view of small motor traffic ahead but pedestrians at ground level directly ahead?

Either way, the mass of almost any four wheeled motor vehicle is going to cause potentially lethal hurt to a pedestrian. Locally, there is a very high incidence of pedestrian casualties on long straight multi-lane suburban roads. The person shaped dents, even in smaller vehicles are really tragic to see.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Inefficient as it is, at the present, it's probably the most effective way of storing Terrestrial energy anywhere on the Earth's surface.

I don't disagree. My comment was more directed at the "zero emission" claim. So long as renewable energy is used, (however inefficiently) to generate the hydrogen, the claim is valid.

A hydrogen generation and distribution system (also addressing the volatility concerns* that have plagued hydrogen as a fuel source ever since the Hindenburg disaster) has long been a limiting factor for hydrogen propulsion.

* Frankly quite solvable

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't disagree. My comment was more directed at the "zero emission" claim. So long as renewable energy is used, (however inefficiently) to generate the hydrogen, the claim is valid.

A hydrogen generation and distribution system (also addressing the volatility concerns* that have plagued hydrogen as a fuel source ever since the Hindenburg disaster) has long been a limiting factor for hydrogen propulsion.

* Frankly quite solvable

The Hindenburg Disaster gave hydrogen a bad name but hydrogen is less dangerous than good old gasoline (AKA petrol).

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A hydrogen generation and distribution system

That's a "chicken and egg" problem. Tesla has already proved it's not a big issue, and there are wholesale hydrogen distribution locations already.

I think the biggest problem is the cost of fuel cells but I think they should last indefinitely which batteries do not.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still quite breezy after a wet and windy night but it should stay mainly dry (&windy) with the chance of the odd shower.

I'm still feeling a bit carp but at least managed a good 6 hours sleep. Didn't do much yesterday apart from catch up on a bit of recorded TV. 

Abbie got to work OK yesterday after being stranded Sunday night in Essex at her friend's house.

At some time today I will refit the Dyson filters (they should be dry as I put them in the airing cupboard)  and then test said appliance. We have already decided that once this machine eventually dies it will be replaced by a different make. 

We also need to visit Sainsbury's to top up supplies as Joe and Gemma will be making their usual Tuesday visit.

Tea was taken up earlier to Her Bossness who, by the sound if it, is on her way down. I expect daily orders to be posted shortly. Whether or not I obey depends on what they are! ;)

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can you really?

I will happily stipulate that the view from an SUV to the sides (over crash barriers and other obstacles) is far superior as is the view of small motor traffic ahead but pedestrians at ground level directly ahead?

Either way, the mass of almost any four wheeled motor vehicle is going to cause potentially lethal hurt to a pedestrian. Locally, there is a very high incidence of pedestrian casualties on long straight multi-lane suburban roads. The person shaped dents, even in smaller vehicles are really tragic to see.

I guess I'd qualify this to an extent by comparing my compact SUV to my low-lying roadster. Visibility wasn't great on that and is, IMHO, better in the new car.

The lesson from a course I went on  (ok it was a speed awareness course :blush:) was about stopping distances and reaction time. 

By sticking to 30 mph where that is the limit the outcome is very different from 32 mph where you'd still be doing 18 mph when you hit someone.  

The protagonists of banning SUVs based on mass might have been better placing their efforts to campaigning for sticking to the speed limit. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

A question to ponder; why do weather forecasters (and others) refer to 'heavy winds'?

As far as i'm aware, air is not especially heavy........

All the stranger as gales come with Atlantic depressions when the air pressure is at its lowest, i.e. the air is least "heavy"!

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Like ChrisF, the lurgi that I thought had departed made an unwelcome reappearance during the night resulting in a two hours interruption to the normal sleep pattern. I had intended today to go and photograph a mass of snowdrops but the wind - caused by a  not too distant area of low pressure and therefore “light” rather than “heavy”, albeit rather strong - will cause the flowers to oscillate, preventing sharp focus and so making such images useless. I may attempt the same exercise later in the week if wind and clouds allow.

Tuesday is fish day once more, just as it is cribbage day. Rant on: Between times, there is another meeting of the Sports Club redevelopment committee but small town politics is rearing it’s ugly head in the process. I fear that this may prevent the project proceeding and will result in the loss of the rather large sum of money deposited by the nearby developer under a Section 106 agreement if these stupid councillors who seem driven by their own sense of self-importance do not face reality. Rant off.

The debate about hydrogen is cogent. It is abundant, has a high energy value, does not produce any harmful combustion products and can be readily used to convert excess wind or solar (or even tidal) energy into a storable product for use at a convenient time. The issue is going to be about storage and distribution and breaking the monopoly currently enjoyed by the big oil producers and companies. We have a massive and reasonably effective gas distribution system already so I would suggest those who fight it on distribution safety grounds are misguided.

Make the best use of the period until your next slumbers, particularly if it is dedicated to your recovery.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is strange at the moment, wind, sun, rain, wind, rain, sun, wind ...... you get the picture. Shortly off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, I’ll drop Sheila off at the hairdressers on the way. After that, we’ll its anyone’s guess.

Back later

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1