The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still more than a bit windy with on and off rain, Arthur Itis is not predicting any more rain soon though. Not any damage to my property but a new fence at the back of a house around the corner was down with a concrete fence post at an odd angle. A mate of mine who lives a couple of doors down from the property explained that the ground in that area was almost a swamp. This might or might not be connected to the storm >>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51444749 A former girlfriend used to live in road where it happened.  

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

If, as I believe, the sink hole referred to by Phil above has swallowed a Prius, one suspects the vehicle is now going to need to be carefully disposed of, containing various nasties including a significant amount of lithium!

I was remiss in not sending my congratulations to the good Mrs Rick, well done! I hope that milestone also eases the stresses.

The tale quoted by AndyB must be true as you couldn't make that up (could you?).

The ITV local news for this area showed a clip from Beds Bucks & Herts Road Policing Unit taken yesterday at an adjacent village. First, I need to set the scene for you dear reader:
This village is one through which ALL the traffic to and from the CowboysRUs development is supposed to be directed (always ignored by the drivers of course, and they get VERY p!ssed off when you photograph their misdemeanours). In order to facilitate smooth operations and to avoid two LGVs attempting to pass in the narrow roads in the confines of that village, waiting areas were constructed at each end of the road. The waiting areas have nice wooden sheds to provide a comfortable place for the - I guess you would call him - banksman to wait. There is a banksman at either end of the mile-long stretch. As each has to be present throughout the working day, he needs his own khazi so has been equipped with an orange "port-a-loo" in the same lay-by.

As our friends in the Beds, Bucks & Herts roads policing unit drove through the village yesterday late afternoon, they filmed The Tardis gently meandering under sail power diagonally across the road from its intended location. It would appear not to have been emptied recently as it remained vertical throughout its journey, its passage possibly being lubricated by teh contents of its holding tank? Sadly, the local broadcast did not include any commentary from within the police vehicle :lol:. When I drove by this lunchtime, it (or a replacement) had been returned to its normal resting place.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

The site seems to be having problems with disappearing and double posts. I had a time out trying to post earlier. The edit cache did not function either.  I seem to have scored a "triple" post!!

I haven't had problems loading pages.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

12 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I think I've got triple and quintuple vision!

Honestly, they are breeding!

Each time the page reloads there are more of them.

Now the original post is deleted. I did report all the duplicates but in a surfeit of efficiency the original is gone too.

I was going to author and publish it a third time out of sheer cussedness but it's honestly not worth it. No one will miss it.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

So if I reply to Kingzance's triple post will I generate 9 new posts?

This could multiple faster than, well.....

Made up? Nope.

The only detail swmbo wasn't sure about was whether it was LGW or LHR. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Were still experiencing some heavy gusts at the moment, but nothing like those over the weekend. This afternoon we had quite a bit of hail falling from the sky, it was so heavy that it looked like we’d had snow!

Yet another day has passed and my package of electronic goodies hasn’t arrived, I’ve contacted the company involved and asked when I can expect it. I’ll give them until Friday, then I’ll raise a query with PayPal about it. So much for using the smaller independant supplier, needless to say, I definitely won’t be ordering anything else from them in the future.

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Regarding aircraft landings. Very smooth landings (called 'greasers' in the trade) may seem really good but are, in fact, not ideal except on very long runways. For most occasions a firm landing is best as when the wheels contact the ground with sufficient force for them to start rotating immediately at full speed a lot of energy is absorbed straight away and that is translated into deceleration without the brakes being involved, which is a good thing when the idea is to stop before the runway becomes part of the local scenery ...    

A Boeing 737 ran off the runway at Kelowna in 1986. The landing was in heavy rain, on a very wet runway, with a gusting wind. A gust hit the plane very close to the ground and held it up, so that it touched down well down the runway, and very smoothly. When the crew tried to select reverse thrust on the engines, they could not. With the 'late' touchdown and a wet runway, the brakes could not stop the plane in time and it ran off the end of the runway. Fortunately, there were no fatalities, and the aircraft was repairable.

The aircraft had a safety system to prevent reverse thrust being selected in the air. Microswitch(es) in the landing gear legs were actuated when the wheels contacted the ground, allowing reverse thrust then to be selected. On this occasion, the touchdown had been so smooth that the switches had not been triggered.

Here's a short summary of the accident, which doesn't go into a lot of detail:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19860714-0

There used to be a more detailed report available, but it now appears to have been archived offline.

• Informative/Useful 18

Regarding aircraft landings. Very smooth landings (called 'greasers' in the trade) may seem really good but are, in fact, not ideal except on very long runways.

If you don't break-through the ground effect you're liable to skate the entire length of the the runway like a hockey puck ;).  I think they sometimes apply reverse thrust even before the tires make contact - or at least some landings feel like that. I prefer it when the pilot "nails it" to the runway even if it means a bit of a bounce.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Regarding aircraft landings. Very smooth landings (called 'greasers' in the trade) may seem really good but are, in fact, not ideal except on very long runways.

If you don't break-through the ground effect you're liable to skate the entire length of the the runway like a hockey puck ;).  I think they sometimes apply reverse thrust even before the tires make contact - or at least some landings feel like that. I prefer it when the pilot "nails it" to the runway even if it means a bit of a bounce.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning All,

Thankfully, the wind is now calming down a bit - although it is still pretty blowy out!

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I know that bit of coast well, one set of grandparents lived at St. Leonards and most of the summer holidays as a child were spent down there.  I gather that he was rescued just off of Rye. I'm thinking if he'd come ashore between Hastings and Rye there wouldn't be anything much to find of him, except by the crabs.

Yes - I think you are right Phil.  The original report from The Independent (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/storm-ciara-hastings-surfer-missing-rescue-lifeboat-rnli-video-a9325986.html) had him coming ashore at Pett Level - which wouldn't be too bad.  It's a nice flattish shingle beach - but anything west of that (Hastings to Cliff End) would be substantially more difficult due to the cliffs.  There are a few isolated coves at the bottom of the Glens - but nothing that would be very easy to spot.

My Mum told me that they said Rye on the local news - so it appears that the orignal report was probably incorrect!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18